'Rare but troubling': 2 East Kootenay lakes closed after fish species illegally introduced

And yet, they close the fishery...

The US portion Columbia River put a bounty on Pikeminnow - for each brought into the fisheries office in you get money:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...now-in-columbia-rivers-bounty-reward-program/

"The more northern pikeminnow an angler catches, the more the fish are worth. The first 25 are worth $5 each; after 25 they are worth $6 each, and after 200 fish they are worth $8 each. As an added incentive, specially tagged fish are worth $500."

The BC Portion of the Columbia had a draw for prizes for Northern Pike.
http://www.vancouversun.com/offers+bounty+encourage+pike+fishing/11021957/story.html

So... why can't they do the same thing with LMB and Perch?

Actually was listening to the CBC and they explained these lakes are closed to fishing as a form punishment. (As well as prepping for poison) Thanks to those assholes who want to bring their shittyness with them when they come to BC we all get to suffer. If you know someone who's done this, please beat them with a club. It's the least they deserve.

Last edited:
Ah. Likely the species were moved from Creston's Duck Lake or Wasa Lake, outside Kimberly. Large population of LMB in each, and have been for decades.

But yes. Clubs required.

Maybe not exactly "punishment" but the gist of it was someone did it to fish for those species so closing the lake will prevent the guilty party (and everyone else) from enjoying what those lakes have to offer. Both stocked lakes too so some seniors and others with mobility issues lose out.

Both of those lakes were already closed to fishing for L/M Bass and Perch (as are all Region 4 waters, with a few exceptions). Now they're closed to all angling.

Tons of largemouth on the Fraser and Pitt rivers now....do or will they close it as well? Why just open it with no bag limits? Keep or kill as many spiny rays as you want.

Seems to me, that a blanket closure like this, does more harm than good. It's punishing all anglers for the misguided actions of a few. There's already a ban on fishing for bass and perch in those 2 lakes ( and all of region 4, see regs). Now they've taken away angling opportunities for everyone, when already, many people have limited choices for fishing. I've no problem with punishing the culprits and their supporters by using the Bass and Perch angling bans to remove any "reward" for illegal stocking, but a total angling ban is, imo, counterproductive.

The problem I see with the current rules with a ban on new LM and perch introductions in region 4 is that the people dumping these species in the lakes didn't care about the regs in the first place so I highly doubt that they care or obey the LM or perch fishing ban. What they end up with is their illegally introduced species having no fishing pressure on them from all those following the rules and they get their own private fishery. When's the last time anyone has seen a CO on a lake?! I fish well over 30 days a year and the last time I got checked I believe was about 11 or 12 yrs ago.

Back