RANT: SFAB meeing Wednesday Mar 21 7pm (Victoria)

This will all come up in the small group discussion coming up. Bottom line is that 19/20 has done enough and we have nothing else to give without going under.

For the next general SFAB meeting I propose we take the DFO on our boats so they can, for the first time, experience water, fish and the elements. After hearing them speak last night I wasn't convinced they have ever been on water but, from a socialogists perspectiv, they clearly appear to be an escallation in the Peter Principal and take it to heretofore unknown higher levels.

For the next general SFAB meeting I propose we take the DFO on our boats so they can, for the first time, experience water, fish and the elements. After hearing them speak last night I wasn't convinced they have ever been on water but, from a socialogists perspectiv, they clearly appear to be an escallation in the Peter Principal and take it to heretofore unknown higher levels.

I know that Brad (the young guy at the dfo table) is a sportfisher and I believe he must understand what it feels like to be in our situation. I wonder how often the lower level employees of DFO question what the guys at higher levels do? Les (main dfo speaker) commented on raising his hand when the motion was being voted that upper level dfo officials be fired. Maybe these guys would secretly like to seem some of this take place?

For the next general SFAB meeting I propose we take the DFO on our boats so they can, for the first time, experience water, fish and the elements.

I wouldn't want puke on my boat........ :D

Les (main dfo speaker) commented on raising his hand when the motion was being voted that upper level dfo officials be fired. Maybe these guys would secretly like to seem some of this take place?

Did he?? I missed that.. would have loved to see it.

Thing I don't get is... Go to 1:26 on the link...

They were there but didn't hear them say anything....?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chinook and Coho are the same as any other stock and jack and jill in toronto have a right to go to the local fishmonger and buy a nice chinook fillet for the bbq.
We sporties need to get off the attitude that it belongs to us and only us. We need better direction and cooperative positive input , rather than the BS attitude that many have.
There are many in Ottawa and DFO that want to make it catch and release. If we get to greedy and stupid that is what we will get.

I agree Charlie, think Scottdogg has hit the nail on the head...there are many more reasons why DFO,Feds & the BC Goverment are in bed together.IMHO the Feds would prefer we fight amongst ourselves rather than unite and deal with the issues as a GROUP! If we bring true science and believable facts & work with the press,then we can educate the public to help us fight the Goverment.

Well folks-- did I miss something????? Where are the rebuttals? Did you all swamp the editor of the TC to express your frustration???? Or did you just vent here where it does no good????

Sent this off to Craig Orr at Watershed Watch.
I'll send a similar version to the TC as a rebuttal.
If, and that's a big IF the TC prints it, I'll bet they edit the hell out of it.

Hi Craig,

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Just wanted to touch base with you and offer my thoughts on Hill's article in the TC yesterday.

http://www.timescolonist.com/techno...fisheries+conservationists/6353999/story.html

As a recreational fisherman I take strong exception to being referred to as a 'scofflaw'.

Before Arron shot his mouth off, he might have taken a moment to look at the catch-reductions and conservation-concessions the South Island anglers have made in the last few years concerning early timed Fraser fish.

If any degree of accuracy had figured - or was required - in this blatant-defamation of the angling-community, Hill would also have conceded that the South Island anglers have bore the brunt of these conservation efforts over the last few years. As well, he would understand fully our frustration with the DFO, as throughout this period First Nations have carried out - unabated - their annual F&C slaughter of these fish as they swim up the Fraser, while the DFO-sanctioned salmon-farming industry continues its slaughter of these out-migrating young salmon as they try to swim past these Norwegian-owned disease & parasite infested feedlots. Then there's the highly contentious issue of the DFO allowing a massive herring harvest in the Gulf of Georgia (to send their row to Asia) while our gulf Salmon starve; which, in turn impacts our Orca's. So many problems, not many answers...

Seriously Craig, for a long time I have had the greatest respect for the work you and Watershed Watch have done, especially where it concerned the opposition to the salmon-farming industry. Yet, to allow one of your 'loose-guns' to point the finger at the rec-fishing community when our impact on these fish is so minimal while providing the greatest return and socioeconomic-benefit to our Province, is irresponsible at best.

This is a bad rap further aggravated by an over-zealous 'pot-stirring' reporter.

I would urge you and Watershed Watch to remember that we, BC's recreational fishing community, have the word CONSERVATION stamped all over the front page of our 'Bible of Fisherman's' Ethics!'

Yours truly,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Yes almost as bad as someone insinuating that the commercials never lost 3%.
Or someone posting that the chinook are starving with 100,000 + tons of herring in the gulf.
Own your crap here people. The rec sector is the largest harvester out here.

go crawl back under your rock fish4all.......

Urrrrp! I am not biting too much other food around.

SAYS we are the biggest harversters YOU MAKE me laugh ahhh 85% for commie 15% for rec you really need to go back to grade 1 and learn some math... LOL LOL

Ill make it easy for you bud you get 85 smarties or gum drops, whoopers whatever you like joe fisherman gets 15 pieces of candy is that basic enough for you???? if not im sure the caring people on the forum will use a different system for you to "understand" we dont want you to go away mad just go away!!!!!

go crawl back under your rock fish4all.......
Acutually... THAT brings up an interesting question!

How much do YOU own? As, there were 251 licenses issued in 2011 - may I ask, how much of that did YOU own?

If I got this figured out right between those 251 that "renewed" their licenses, it might be less than "589 pounds "EACH"... that would be "How" much per individual "slipper? Answer? How much do YOU personaly own? ...... waiting? How much did you say, you personlly "OWN" ..... stilll waiting! In ofther words... HOW MUCH OF THE "TAC" DO "YOU" THINK YOU OWN? Would love to hear! :)

Not sure why the fact that we now are the largest Chinook harvesters should make us feel guilty in any way. Our numbers will never come close to the numbers that the commercial boats took back in the day and which is in large part due to why we have the problems we do now. They fished themselves out of business and we are still dealing with the fallout now.

Pretty sure the thread was talking about chinook?
Yep... Dude YOU brought the "halibut" up, we didn't, and it was NOT me... so, may I ask, again? How MUCH of the 251 license quota, do you OWN? It really is "only" a simple question, requiring only a simple answer - SO, just ANSWER the question!!!!!!! HOW MUCH DO "YOU" OWN?

Acutually... THAT brings up an interesting question!

How much do YOU own? As, there were 251 licenses issued in 2011 - may I ask, how much of that did YOU own?

If I got this figured out right between those 251 that "renewed" their licenses, it might be less than "589 pounds "EACH"... that would be "How" much per individual "slipper? Answer? How much do YOU personaly own? ...... waiting? How much did you say, you personlly "OWN" ..... stilll waiting! In ofther words... HOW MUCH OF THE "TAC" DO "YOU" THINK YOU OWN? Would love to hear! :)

Back