Rafts, pontoons, drift boats.....

hambone

I'm looking for some opinions and reviews on the different types of craft that you can float a river with. In my situation I would be interested in something that is lightweight and capable of handling decent whitewater with 1 to 2 people on board. Some of the really small rafts appear to be very capable in terms of handling rapids but they look really hard/impossible to fish out of. Is having a rigid platform to stand on important? an anchoring system? Is a rigid hull drift boat the only way to go? I'm not about to go buy one tomorrow but I'd be interested in finding out more about what people like/dislike.

Aside from the horrible music of the video below, this would be my choice for a personal use 2 person river pontoon. For a one person I would get the scaddens smaller craft http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2012catalog/page11.html

When at anchor in a river, the stern portion of the pontoon is essential for proper tracking of the boat. When a typical pontoon boat is at anchor in a river it sways back and forth. The anchor rope has to be at the center of the boat and at the furthest point astern. Thats the main reason I would choose a scadden boat over a typical pontoon boat for personal use, plus its red.

[6aePrcDLlQo] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aePrcDLlQo&feature=channel

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention powered or unpowered. You also didn't mentioned what "decent whitewater" means----the best way to be prepared for "decent" whitewater in a raft design is to have a raft with a self-bailing floor (inflatable floor that is laced to the pontoons, basically creating scuppers or drainage holes)

The up-side of a self-bailing floor is not only safety in big standing waves---it creates a nice stable floor to stand on for fishing. I had a "bucket boat" for many years (non-self-bailing ) They're reasonably safe (if you carry a bailing bucket) but they're not very stable to fish out of.

This is my current river ride--- an Avon Explorer with self-bailing floor. Fantastic river boat!

IMG_0473.jpg

On my maiden voyage I dropped the anchor in Class III rapids (trying to sneak up on a springer hole). The anchor hooked into a crease in the bedrock below me and I was stuck going nowhere in a white water staircase. In a lesser boat, I would have stood a real good chance of swamping (from the stern going under against an immovable anchor). Things could have gone from bad to worse real quick, but the self-bailing floor kept things stable and I was finally able to get unstuck (and moments later hook the springer in the picture)

If you want power, there are lots of options to choose from. I have four rafts, all of different sizes that I use in rivers. They're all Avon Brand (UK made) The hypalon material that is used in the manufacture of Avons is not only incredibly durable but also easy to repair.

I have used these in rivers with up to Class IV rapids. I also use propellers (as opposed to jet pumps) because you can use much less horsepower (low weight) and get more torque at lower RPM's when pushing upstream (at a sane speed while staying on plane).

Here's the one I use on larger rivers and up to Class IV rapids (11 1/2 ft Avon + 15 Hp Yamaha w/ prop)

IMG_2128.jpg

Here's the one I use on flat water rivers (up to Class III rapids) (10 ft Avon + 8 Hp Yamaha w/ prop)

IMG_0988.jpg

I also get double use of this raft as a tender for my saltwater boat:

IMG_3285.jpg

Pontoon boats---I steer clear. I have seen several of them flip in water a normal pontoon raft wouldn't have. One year I saw a guy in a pontoon boat on the Thompson in flat water (just above a Class III rapid) He leaned back in his seat and took a long pull on a beer, feeling on top of the world. The next minute a gust of wind flipped him over and he almost drowned going through the rapids. Too high a center of gravity for my taste

On the Kispiox this year I saw a guy flip a pontoon boat in a rapid that most guys in a normal raft design would have been able to read a newspaper while navigating. That same rapid gobbled up another pontoon boat about 5 years ago---to this day I still find bits and pieces of three nice Sage spey rods he was carrying when he flipped that boat.

Sharphooks those are some awesome pictures! In the first picture, i'm assuming that anchoring system came with the boat?? and do you load that thing up by yourself... trailer it? You're right I didnt mention power.... I dont really know what to think about that one. I guess depending where you go, it gives you plenty more opportunities.
Your dog looks like a solid fishing partner.
Thanks for the info guys...

hey hambone, no, the anchor system is an add-on---it's a Dierks pulley system that was tacked on to a fiberboard platform that sits on the pontoons with an aluminum tube system (cinched down with a strap on a couple of "D" rings.) You could jerry-rig that platform into a seat for someone to ride shotgun, but I usually put people into the bow for better control.

Here's another picture of that Avon so you can see the full size (and safety factor) of a bigger raft: (yes, I carry it on a trailer---the self-bailing floor option tacks about 75 pounds onto the raft--I can't carry it alone):

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab30/sharphooks/IMG_0867.jpg

The anchor system on the smaller inflatable is also a Dierks ---it was bolted on to a piece of marine plywood then attached to the pontoons with "D" rings and a strap. Even if you're going handmade on the cheap like this one, I consider a good (safe) anchoring system to be critical to river rafting (when fishing is the main purposes).

Any forum members currently selling a raft (not a pontoon) or know someone that is? Thanks in advance. :D

I currently have a 9 ft outcast and a 16 ft drift Boat. The drift boat is more work to row but you can fish anywhere that you set an anchor down. Pontoon boats are safe to fish out of for trout but not for steelhead or salmon. Even a 10lb steelie will force your anchor to pull and you can't handle a rod and row. Pontoon boats give you the ability to get to fishing spots that you can't easily walk to.

I've rowed and fished out of rafts in the 12 foot range with an anchoring system. They are good to row and provide a stable platform to fish from. A bit more upkeep than a drift boat.

That being said, you can get into trouble with any type of water craft in a river if you don't pay attention to what you are doing or aren't prepared for water conditions. You should probably try to test each kind of craft that you are considering.

For those with rafts... What anchor weight should I be using with a 12' raft.
I'm not planning on anchoring up in anything fast... But wouldn't mind holding in medium water.

Thinking maybe 20-35#???

yo hambone

35# I think might be over-kill for your Avon with 1 -2 people (and could get you into trouble if it stuck)

I'd start at 20 # - 25 # max and increase holding power by lengthening anchor line (if necessary)

Not sure if you have an anchor system---you don't have to go out an pay a pile of $$ for a slick one

Here's one I built---I picked up a $ 15.00 Dierks pulley/release system and fabbed the rest out of marine ply wood then glued a "D" ring on the inside of the pontoon for a tie-down point

works fine

If you want to explore pre-fabbed anchor mounts suitable for mounting the Dierks hardware, have a look at the anchor brackets on:

recretec.com

they make what's probably the most compatible mount for your Avon

Back