Radar?

juandesooka

Looking for some tips on radar systems...

After a couple of iffy moments on the way to Swiftsure, without radar, I am now considering the need to invest. I have been using the "if its foggy don't go" rule, but with a busy life, I find you can't be choosey on fishing days....and that means a lot of pressure to go no matter what. But with big deep sea ships out there, I think it is literally a life and death proposition....and fishing is fun, but not at that risk level.

I don't know anything about radar, other than seeing some big $$$ attached. Is it like sounders, where you can get an entry level "good enough" system, or is it big bucks or nothing?

Is it worth it to buy an older system used or discontinued, or has the technology evolved such that older ones are obsolete?

Recommendations on brands and models? Keeping in mind this is hopefully a budget purchase...don't necessarily want the absolute best, I want a reasonable price/quality (no frills, nothing fancy, does what I need, not much more, good enough to get there and back safely).

Any info would be most appreciated!

I have a Furuno 1623 radar. It is a great unit for a smaller boat. It is NMEA 2000 compliant so I can overlay it onto my Lowrance sounder/chartplotter. Haven't done this so I don't know how easy it is to do.

The other option is get a rada made by the some company as your sounder/chartplotter (e.g. Lowrance, Furuno, Raymarine, Garmin, Humminbird, etc.)for easy compatibility and overlaying on to one display unit. This is great for a smaller boat with less room for a several separate display units.

When buying check out some of the marine supply places in the US as they can have much better prices then up here even with the dollar difference.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Back