Quick transducer question...

Waterwolf2230

I have a Lowrance 9" Gen 2 Touch and am wanting to upgrade to the Airmar P66 transducer. I found one that is used and was on a Garmin unit. Are the plugs compatible between Garmin and Lowrance (blue plug)? I've not been able to find anything online to tell me 100%.

Much thanks,

Curtis

I have a Lowrance 9" Gen 2 Touch and am wanting to upgrade to the Airmar P66 transducer. I found one that is used and was on a Garmin unit. Are the plugs compatible between Garmin and Lowrance (blue plug)? I've not been able to find anything online to tell me 100%.

Much thanks,

Curtis

Curtis,

I don't believe so. Doing a quick search, the Garmin p66 is an 8 pin connection (male end obviously). Does your HDS only have 7 female receiver ports?

Look here under specs

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/88663#specs

Also found the p66 is compatible with: Manufacturer Part Numbers

Furuno 10-Pin— 525STID-PWD
Garmin—010-10192-01
Raymarine—E66054

Last edited:
WW I changed my unit from a Garmin to a Lowrance 3 years ago. Boat had a P66 transducer. I stopped by Harbour Chandler and bought a Lowance end and soldered it on. They gave me a copy of the wiring diagram for soldering purposes. Wasn't hard to do and I am not an electronics tech.

p66 for Garmin uses a differring temp senor think its 10 htz against 5 hzt but lowrance can seslect between the two you need the pigtail end and need to solder/ splice the plug end on the older ducer look on the THT forum for wiring sonar hub
as it will give you the pig tail wire code for lowrance and check the airmar site for wiring the Garmin p66 color code
be careful as there is prob two bare shields but is prob wrapped in two single pairs one side for depth and then one side for temp/speed...
hope this helps
but a new P66 from HC is around $150

gen Two i think would need a sonarhub or BSM to use chirp but don't quote me on that one.....

Wildthing is correct you need a sonarhub to run chirp on a Gen 2. That increases cost substantially.

Only on Gen2 touch does chirp work with a software update. No sonar hub required.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Software-Updates/HDS-Gen2-Touch-Software-Upgrade-60/

Wow that's great to hear Moose. Those with the Gen2 touch ( me included here) might as well then scrap the P66 idea.....and just go strait to a good chirp transducer! No need to buy a sonar hub means that cash is available for the transducer!

.....just curious, what transducer are you presently running with your gen2 touch?

don't jump to the TM150-m its rated a 300W
its really no better than the P66

to all intents and purposes you need to be looking at the 75's in tm transom mount or B- thru hull in high or medium chirp
or the daddy the 1kw TH185C-HW high wide
but your looking at $500-1500 transducers
tm150 is the budget entry chirp it will even work at fixed frq 83 khtz fairly well on none chirp head units ....

Navico didn't publish any info on the software update re:chirp.. I just provided the link so that you could find and upgrade your software. The sonar hardware of the Gen2 Touch is from the Sonarhub, software just hadn't been enabled to run chirp in the units (maybe were already developing the Gen3 units upon the release of Gen2 Touch?). I run multiple transducers (swap them out for my own knowledge) P-66, B-744, B-260 and currently mounted a HST-WSBL to see what it does when chirped.. P-66 is the best bang for the buck if your going to take the time to tune your sounder.

I'm looking forward to the Simrad NSS Evo 3 with an M265-LH dual channel chirp I'm installing on a clients boat next week..

image.png
don't jump to the TM150-m its rated a 300W
its really no better than the P66

to all intents and purposes you need to be looking at the 75's in tm transom mount or B- thru hull in high or medium chirp
or the daddy the 1kw TH185C-HW high wide
but your looking at $500-1500 transducers
tm150 is the budget entry chirp it will even work at fixed frq 83 khtz fairly well on none chirp head units ....

Been doing quite a bit of reading into this as I have a P66 ready to install with my new Gen3.

I'm thinking since I spent money on a chirp unit, why not have a chirp ducer to go with it. Now I don't wanna spend 1k on a ducer. In saying that I read a response on THT in a thread about this. For some reason I couldn't copy/paste so I'll post a pic.

Guy seems to know what he is talking about, but I'm hesitant to pay more for 300w ducer if it won't get me results in our water.

I'd love to know if anyone else runs the TM150 round here and how they find it.

Look at Airmar B75C-H and B765C-LH. These are the CHIRP 600W equivalents of the P66 element(s) but much better with low 'Q' rating. (Both are thru-hulls as oppose to transom-mount -if you want transom mount you can have an L-shaped bracket fabricated out of aluminium but thru-hulls generally perform better). The B75C-H will be circa US$550 and B765C-LH will be circa US$750.

Edit - just saw this on THT:-
http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/837446-airmar-b75h-lowrance.html

Last edited:
Back