question about smoked salmon

cooper99

Hey i just bought a smoker I've never smoked any fish before. I have a lot of frozen salmon Will it turn out ok if i un thaw out a bunch of fillets to fill up the smoker, or wait until the fishing season picks up and catch and smoke when there fresh.

Perfectly fine. In fact any of my vacuum sealed fish that loses its seal over the winter gets liberally trimmed, brined and smoked. Lots of good threads on here with smoking tips. I strongly recommend a dry brine for 24+ hours.

Cheers!

Ukee

I believe previously frozen fish actually absorbs(for want of a better word) the smoke better. Probably something to do with freezing and breaking down the cell structure! Do it!! It's all good!!LOL

Perfect for salmon jerky ,cut in small pieces, pepper brine and go long in the brine and smoker that will take the stinky out haha :).... beer bites in the summer with brew :cool:

Just remember Salmon needs a light touch don't go overboard on brining or seasoning or smoking times-easy does it.

Hey i just bought a smoker I've never smoked any fish before. I have a lot of frozen salmon Will it turn out ok if i un thaw out a bunch of fillets to fill up the smoker, or wait until the fishing season picks up and catch and smoke when there fresh.

All depends on the quality of the freeze. If things are vac packed and you are still dealing with a quality product, by all means. However, if it is freezer burnt/yellowing significantly, I personally couldn't do it.

Smoking will not compensate for an inferior product. If you want the family and friends to keep coming back for more, start with a quality product.

If you want the family and friends to keep coming back for more, start with a quality product.
To this end, take my advice and make the first two or three batches really really BAD, offer it up to you r friends and family and THEN start to smoke it the right way. If you get too good of a reputation, pretty soon everyone is your best friend as soon as you smoke up another batch ;-)

I go light on sugar and salt brine ,because it's cut into strips ...with some flavour ..24hr , smoker 1 pan only and remainder of time till most of the moister is out , really concentrates in flavour when it shrinks ,gets that nice beef jerky look , sprinkle pepper before heading into the smokey . I'll be doing it soon i'll post up pics

Cheeerzz !

12 hrs , 3 pans of chips....
ef1552bb28d54b0305d21e060555036f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys turned out amazing this time.. Still say the reds smoke way better..JMO , when i returned to the launch with this one i was part of the georgia straight salmon stock assessment survey ,also turned in the head to the head recovery depot freezer, will be interesting to see where he was headed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back