Puntledge River

If not to late send the head in. Salmon do wander that's how they spread from river to river. If a run gets wiped out mother nature can rebuild the run given enough time. Good for genetics to have some new fish with different traits find there way into a different stream. Another theory could be that it comes from one of community based local hatcheries. The Puntledge is a donor for many local chum programs. Some of them chum sometimes end up with the coho and get clipped and released. Not sure if that would work as they don't go to sea at the age. Chum go to sea at 1 to 2 grams and clipped coho go to sea at 10 to 20 grams and a year later. If the chum was clipped from a community based hatchery by mistake that would mean our chum programs are not working because the fish are returning to the wrong river. I know of more then a few volunteers that think that's whats happening to their chum programs.

GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Chums, no doubt. Between hundreds of thousands of salmon fry in hatcheries there will be the odd that ends up in the wrong tray and gets clipped accidentially. That's all there is.

I caught a chum in the puntledge some year ago with a spagetti tag attached to it. Handed the spagetti tag into DFO and got a baseball cap as a thank you!

Does anyone know if the water lever is now back down?

River is easily fishable. I was down this a.m./p.m. for a bit. Tons of fish in the system. Lots of 'older' looking ones. Some cleaner ones came thru around 1 p.m. Just too many foul hooked so it was time to leave.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm certain that I caught a fin clipped chum in the ocean a few weeks ago in the Stewart Island area. I remember it well because I had never heard of a hatchery chum before....... weird...

Well i was at the hatchery viewing window today. I could not see any hatchery marked chum. Bub and I even joked about it. But we did see some huge Coho and Chinooks. Plus a ton of old Chums.......And a cutty

Pat is correct. I fished for a short time today and accidentally snagged more than I hooked in the mouth. There are some really ugly fish being caught now. Still a chance of catching a nice chromer though. The river is full of chum now, they must have all come in when the river was really high a few days ago. I caught one that was as 'black-as-your-hat' but still had sea lice on it so it has only just come into the river. Strange that some are silver when entering the river and others are already black and ugly.

There is still a lot of fresh fish arriving. I hooked several today, and the 2 that I kept, were about as bright as I have ever seen in fresh water.
When filleting them at home this afternoon, I thought one of them was a sockeye, the flesh was that red.
Purple wool seemed to be the color of the day, as the fresh Chum would vigorously attack it, resulting in very few foul hook ups.

Holmes the reason there are 2 Puntledge threads is so we can switch back and forth between threads when Lorne and Reaper are going at it. I think this one is safe for a few more moments. :)

Holmes the reason there are 2 Puntledge threads is so we can switch back and forth between threads when Lorne and Reaper are going at it. I think this one is safe for a few more moments. :)
X2.
I've finished with the Puntledge now. Got enough for smoking up. Let the fish do their thing in peace.

hahahaha Safe never

Dude why are you going to go and hammer on a guy who is a friend of so many in this valley, on this island and on this site? You have so many poeple shaking thier heads.

Seems stupid.

only thing stupid about it is him and his obsession with bad mouthin me all over the god dam place and not being able to prove a dam word of it
like i stated i dont care what you all think he started it and im not gonna sit back and take his crap his story changes every time he spews and i keep saying the same things over and over
and its ok i know you two are good friend tho i wont hold it against you

only thing stupid about it is him and his obsession with bad mouthin me all over the god dam place and not being able to prove a dam word of it
like i stated i dont care what you all think he started it and im not gonna sit back and take his crap his story changes every time he spews and i keep saying the same things over and over
and its ok i know you two are good friend tho i wont hold it against you

Youre really making yourself look like a fool. Ive heard enough of your blubbering.

your opinion

Freshwater's awesome......no Jerry Springer or Maury Povich on Sunday's but you can get your fill over here!!! :p :p

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm certain that I caught a fin clipped chum in the ocean a few weeks ago in the Stewart Island area. I remember it well because I had never heard of a hatchery chum before....... weird...

Nanaimo River Hatchery. Cost is minimal because there are virtually no rearing costs. No clipping though to the best off my knowledge.
Dave

well i dug around sent a few emails from advice i got and found the mystery of the Clipped Chums
Vettman again your opinion and yer welcome to it

Back