Puntledge River Openings

spawning..........

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

In the Ocean, On the way to spawn....Close ocean, open river with strong runs.. easy to manage and enforce..

Yep-- the Comox boys in green have nailed a couple all ready... it will get worse unfortunately

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Saw two fishing below the hatchery on the weekend, they said it was catch and release until the opening on the 1st??

Yes-- C&R for trout Salmon are not open until the 1st

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Water is quite low, lots of pinks in the system, saw some big springs saturday, but not much fresh. Let's hope for some rain.

Suddenly I'm finding myself in the area for one day. Going to try it Friday morning-afternoon. Has anyone had much luck? Main question for me is: Would I be better off flyfishing or drifting wool/casting spoons?

thanks,

Definately drifting wool works for me. I landed three springs over 20 lb each and lost numerous others this morning. No coho, pinks or chum for me. Springs are a bit dark but the one I kept still had a white belly and was in good shape and they fight like hell. Great morning's fishing!! Some anglers there seem to be under the impression that you can keep coho. Someone send me the updated regs for the Puntledge and it says that there is no zero retention for coho. The fishing notice posted at the river does not say zero retention for coho. So now I am not sure which is correct. I may have to phone DFO. Does anyone have the latest update on this?

Update. I have just phoned DFO and they confirm that there is zero retention for coho They said that they are aware that the fishing notices posted at the river are wrong and they haven't got around to changing them yet. I pointed out to her that some anglers are keeping coho because the notice at the river says it is open for retention. She said that she will try to send someone out to change the notices. Can you believe it?

Many huge springs in the river, only saw one this morning worth keeping, although saw several taken [V] Many coho in the system, hooked a few this morning, and yes I released them !!!

Well the thoughless pigs are at it again. As early as it is in the river season, there are already piles of mono and braided left to catch anything that comes near it. PLULLLEZ pick up your crap and dispose of it properly.

Is that too much to ask?? [V]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Yes, I agree, I can't believe the amount of rubbish being left on the bank and it's only been open two days!!!

Anyone seeing the chum in the Puntledge yet. I got a report today saying that there were quite a few guys hammering chum in the rapids below the bridge? [8D]
Thnx all

Back