Puntledge opening

gallows

Does anyone know if the Puntledge will be open for fishing on October 1st? And what the retention limits will be?

Yes, but is the official opening date still October 1st? Hope you informed DFO that you witnessed illegal fishing. They should be enforcing the rules. I am going to phone them this morning!

Shame about poaching :-(
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region1-eng.htm

Puntledge and
Courtenay Rivers Downstream from a boundary marker located 75 m downstream of the Puntledge R. Hatchery counting fence. Note: Total salmon aggregate is 4 per day. Chinook Oct 1 - Nov 30 1 per day. Wild or hatchery marked
Chum Oct 1 - Nov 30 2 per day.
Coho Oct 1 - Nov 30 4 per day, of which only 2 may be over 35 cm.

I just spoke to someone at DFO in Comox and was told that the Puntledge river is open now for catch and release only. I said anglers have been observed fishing by the Condensory Bridge and was told that is OK as long as it is catch and release only. Retention opening is 1st October.

quote:Originally posted by gallows

Does anyone know if the Puntledge will be open for fishing on October 1st? And what the retention limits will be?

I've put all the public notices of salmon on the Big, and Little Q and the Puntledge on this forum. I'll try to keep this up.

Re poaching. Yet another anonymous complaint last night. Report of 3 fishermen keeping slamon. In fact they were catch and release. A full surveilence was set up on them to confrim.

I appreciate the calls, and I know how people may be a bit overzelous with the details with hopes of a response, but the reality is, last night's response just means one less patrol we can field on a factual event.

We haven't the budget to respond to all complaints nor anonymous complaints. I need to call back the cn to confirm the details.

Your names and phone numbers will be secured and held by only the investigative teem. So please keep the calls coming to our radio room 1-800-465-4336

On the up side, the poaching on our rivers is far less this year then many of the previous years. Our efforts and the public's response has definatly had an impact. So thanks to all the "professional" anglers.

We still have a small group on the Little Qualicum to deal with. If you are one of them...we know who you are, we've taken down one of your group so watch his court case carefully.

For the public on the Little Q, if you see these snaggers, call our radio room or 911.

Thanks
Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer
Comox

RCMP can inforce fisheries violtions. If they can find the time. I wouldn't call them myself. My self I find it easier to smack the idiot up the side of their head with my rod then push them in.

Or just cut their line a few times.

But if you just tell them you reported them to the DFO and that they are on their way they most often move on, on their own..

no need to retaliate with violence. The photos are a good idea. Particularly getting licence plates. That's how we were able to track down the last group.

I'd say 80-90% of my violations are a direct result from public information.

Keep the calls coming. We can't get there every time, but we try.

Bryce

quote:Originally posted by bgillard

no need to retaliate with violence. The photos are a good idea. Particularly getting licence plates. That's how we were able to track down the last group.

I'd say 80-90% of my violations are a direct result from public information.

Keep the calls coming. We can't get there every time, but we try.

Bryce

Welcome to the board Bryce....We need more guys like you..... (need to get some more guys on that Nitnat spring opening [xx(])

Witnessed a beautiful coho belly hooked, dragged onto shore, head smashed with a rock, dude puts it near his stuff then keeps fishing!

No one wants to be the one who says something and gets into a 'situation' with some clown; so I love the idea of calling it in. Some clowns so aggressive that even taking pictures would set them off...can you imagine if they knew whose car was yours?

Majority of us rock, it is always that 10% that make us all look bad.

Smiley.

quote:Originally posted by Smiley

Witnessed a beautiful coho belly hooked, dragged onto shore, head smashed with a rock, dude puts it near his stuff then keeps fishing!

No one wants to be the one who says something and gets into a 'situation' with some clown; so I love the idea of calling it in. Some clowns so aggressive that even taking pictures would set them off...can you imagine if they knew whose car was yours?

Majority of us rock, it is always that 10% that make us all look bad.

Smiley.

With most cell phones it is to easy to take a picture with out any one knowing but your self. It s not like you need to zoom in and wait for the person to smile.:)

Caught my first coho of the year on opening day. Bright silver and nowhere near ready to spawn. Looks like they are just late this year. Not like the chinook which are mostly looking like black old boots already. I was surprised to see some anglers actually keeping those things. River was flowing quite swiftly and I saw a few young guys charging into the middle of the river to fish. Amazed to see only one actually fall in. Could be quite dangerous if they hit their head on a rock. I don't think there are many chum in the system yet!

quote:Originally posted by SpringFever552

thanks to Bryce Gillard for your post and will be putting the "radio rm" ph# in my cell phone...

Good to see your posts Bryce and know you are on the board.

hey guys never fished this river before but was hoping to hit it today or tommorow morning been wondering if theres a good area i can bring my 10 yr old girl too want her to catch a coho is there many fish in there yet or will we be wasting time any suggestions are appreciated

Newfieslayer, If I had a 10 year old daughter who wanted to go fishing, I would take her to the docks for bullheads.
From what I saw of the river opening day, it is no place to take a young angler.
It was a zoo.
Don

Take her to Puntledge Park. It’s a good spot that does have room to fish and if that doesn’t work out there is a playground for kids to have fun.
GLG

Just be aware of the Morrison Creek mouth closure...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back