Puntledge opening?

F

flail

Good day all. Has anyone else heard rumours that the Punt might not open this year due to low flows and new Hydro policies? Or is it just my chicken little complex setting in again? Any news from those in the know would do wonders to calm my nerves. Getting the bad bug to fish close to home when the boat is not in the water. cheers- flail

ps pray for rain

Hey guys I'm interested in learning how to river fish and wondering if you can help me out in terms of any gear or tackle I should use, decent fishing spots and just the general etiquette I should follow while fishing the river. I do a lot of salt water fishing but not a whole lot of fresh besides a little fly fishing for trout in small ponds. Thanks for your help.

Nokkie … welcome to the board. You need a 10 ft rod and a reel that can handle a large fish (20+ #). 3/0 or 4/0 hooks. Wool, float, pencil lead and rubber tube. Waders help but are not mandatory. If you’re in the CV go to Peters Sports and ask Bruce or Kent, they can fix you up. I will be out there opening day if you want to tag along. GLG

Thanks CA. Been fishing the Punt for years now and know the hot spots and the gong shows. The hatchery reminds me of the Papermill and can be fun and a good spot to hook into a 30# toddler. Don't forget to note your catch on the back of your freshwater license.;)

Nookie- totally agree with GLG's gear advice. If you can sight a few coho, trying a smaller hook size (even to size 1) might increase your odds. Another post discusses the algae problem that can make wading treacherous. A good felt soled boot or even caulked (corked) sole can really help keep you upright. Good spots to try if you're shore bound are near the old Rod and Gun (now Calvary Church), Puntledge Park, just watch for the Morrison Creek closure, and the Hatchery if you can handle the crowds. Fish the early morning, bring a headlamp. Weekdays are less crowded while the kids are in school, but look out when the bell rings. For some reason kids really like to fish, go figure:D. cheers- flail

rain in the forcast

Hi everyone. Just wondering if one of you might be able to help out a newbie to Fly fishing. ive been out to the beach a few times practicing, and have mastered the art of bull fish catching. Now Im looking to catch something a little bigger. Got a new rod for my birthday, and want to get out to the river on opening day. If anyone could tell me where I could go where there wont be alot of people, as my 2 fishing dates have bailed on me, and dont want to be around alot of experienced people and making an butt of my self.

cheers,

FG .. Flyfishing would not be my first choice for the puntledge. It can be done as I have meet others doing it, but if you’re new to it the fish are big and will bust your gear in a heartbeat. That said try down river from the Condensory Road Bridge, you can wade out, as the water is not too deep. Hope you gear is up for it. GLG

Good on ya -gal

Flyfishing is do able in Puntledge Park and at the Condensory Bridge if you want a lot of space. If you're a steady wader there are lots of spots all along the river. Watch your footing though. I use at least a 7wt outfit with as much backing as you can fit on your reel. Anything lighter and you risk breakage. Don't worry about others around, most flyfishers worth their salt are impressed by a woman with a fly rod regardless of her ability.

Use small bright coloured flies if you spot some coho. And any old piece of wool will do for chums. You won't have to make long casts, just let the river current work for you. Hook up and hang on. If the fish is really getting away from you (like 1/2 way through you backing just point your tip at it and pop the hook out)

Good luck and hope you enjoy the work out. cheers -flail

I have a 9wt sage and have 600 ft of 30 pound backing and my fly line is, i belive a wet tip 9wt fast sink line by scientific angler. the sticker on the line said WF-9-F/S. kent at peters sports has been helping me out a bit as my other half isnt really a fly fisher, mainly salmon. so he will be really impressed if I can actually stay calm long enough to get one to shore

cheers,

Well it's now open. Went to Puntledge Park 8-1PM. Water is high but clear. Saw five fish in the water (not many). Hooked up one 13-15# fresh spring. Slow day as did not see anyone else with one. Heard some coho were caught at the bridge. Green Chartreuse wool was the winner for me. GLG

Well I gathered up the courage and made my way to the river today. Lots of people were in the water. I managed to find a spot where there was no one very close near the bridge. Was there from 11 until around 130, had a few bites, but didnt get anything to shore. I had a blast though. Now im hooked on fishing in the currents over sitting on the beach casting my flies. Was a real rush when i did get a fish on and it ran a little. WOW my heart hasnt raced that fast in a while.

cheers,

Great thanks for the advice and good to hear theres another rookie trying out her luck good on ya :)

FG .. way to go. Keep on it you will be fine. CA can you say what colour the 2 fish hit on? Going up to Browns Bay Tuesday for a test fish. LOL GLG

Fished below the hatchery this morning. It was crowded there and there were a few black old slabs being caught. I didn't see any coho caught today. DFO turned up checking licences. I saw at least one ticket issued. Don't forget it's single barbless and any chinook retained must be immediately recorded on the license. I saw one guy catch a reasonably silver spring, so it's nice to know there are still some around. :)

Hey CA, could not have done it without the Mentorship provided by you and "Old Black Dog"... very much appreciated! :D:D I think you know where I will be with my "Fishing Mistress", tomorrow morning around 7:15 am..... thanks again! :D:D:D Striper Sniper

Hey flyfishin gal
I have fished the punt. for a few years now..I don't fly fish but drift fish..I would be willing to get out with you and show you a few spots. I am usually head out the the late afternoon show.

fly-weight@telus.net

Wow- what a great couple of days fishing. Early morning Monday my arm was tired before noon. Too many springs to count. Rolled probably a dozen chrome coho. Late afternoon it was coho after coho after coho. Today was just as hot with the water clearing and fewer people out. Took home a 17# spring that looked like it should have been in the harbour not at... (ooops just about gave away THE spot). Two more weeks of this and the arms should be ready for chummin'. cheers -flail

Does anyone know if the area below the 17th St bridge, along by the air park, is open for fishing. I've never seen anyone fishing there. A guy I work with want's to try it, he doesn't like crowds and he asked me if he is allowed to fish there? There must be fish coming through but there are also lots of seals there!

Hey CA, recommending a "baitcaster" are you.... not sure what that is but if she looks anything like MyEscapes fishing partner for the Browns Bay Chum Derby, I might consider it.....:D:D:D Thanks to your mentoring and that of OBD's (he knows who he is) I did pretty well today!:) SS

CA thanks for the tip on colour. Flail.. great job. It must be a secret place. Is it that spot where the 6000 fish are stacked at, starts with a F ? (kidding) Just goes to show right time at the right place and the right colour. Gallows.. Don’t know the regs but 101 seals can’t be wrong. Might even hook one. Heard my favorite spot was producing today only for one young guy, the rest just got hits and break off’s. I would have been on the river today but I was up at Browns Bay programming a GPS with Chum spots. Getting ready to derby. Great weather for a boat ride. Saw approximately 40 commercial boats dragging pink squirts around. It was SLOW. Them boats weren’t making any dough. Hope to be on the river soon as my arm needs a work out. Don’t the rest of you guys take my spot now or I won't share my trick on how to keep your drift gear from tangles. GLG

Any one find a retractable stainless knife/bonker near the rod and gun pool?

Back