Protecting Electrical Connections

Whole in the Water

What do you guys use to protect your electrical/electronics connections, fuses, panels, etc. from corrosion?

WD-40? Silicone spray?

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by wolf

LPS electrical or corrosion block both work great.
Not WD -40
as its main ingredient is water.

Wolf

wd-40 is a rust-proofer and water displacer...
i personally put wd40 on connections if a can is handy and i feel like playing, aerosal cans are fun :D then i put either just shrink tubing ontop, or a wire connector (those ones you pinch together) and then shrink tube onthat - hey shrink tube is fun to play with too, fire [:p]

fluid film is a really good protectant, however even more messy.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Vasoline......good for a lot of stuff....:D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

LPS #2 is the protectant, spray on and dries creating a barrier. Looks crappy when applied but when you dissolve it after a season with a cleaner the metal you are protecting still looks as new. LPS #3 is a lubricant. By the way WD 40 is a fish oil based product. That is why it works as an attractant.

WD is not fish based hasent been for about 5 years you might as well throw oil overboard not good for the environment...

wolf

You are correct Wolf, WD40 is not a fish oil product. The following is from the MSDS for WD40. I think the formula has not changed in a long time.

The only area there may be fish oil is in the proprietary ingredients that make up less than 10% of the product. t is the SToddard solvent and the petroleum base oil that attack some plastics and either dissolve them or desroy the surface finish creating the haze.

Ingredient CAS Number Percent
Stoddard Solvent 8052-41-3 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35%
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Proprietary <10%
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3%

Exacually didnt know the msds for it but read it wasnt anymore if you want to put crap on your bait put smelly jelly or something (personally dont) natural bait already stinks enough LOL

But back on to topic I used both types of LPS love it I even use it on every thing the protectant is great for the engine. I completly degrease the salt and crud off then spray the whole engine down with LPS makes it look shiney like a new penny after it has dried from washing and any salt water that does get in doesnt stick to it very well.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back