Propane Tank Recertification

How old is the tank? It will be stamped on the bottle, month/year. If it's a 20 lb propane tank (just guessing size) then anything older than 10 years, they won't test. Check with a dive shop or anywhere they sell propane. Probably cheaper just to buy new, unless we are talking large tanks.

I had a tank that was built for horizontal use, for a camper ... very expensive to replace. A place in Victoria re-jigged it (can't recall the right term...re-stem?) for about $30. Would not be worth it for a 20 pounder, but maybe otherwise. I can look up the place if it will help.

Its an Aluminum Tank it is worth a couple of bills so 40 or 50 is easy to take if I can have it done. If not I will take it south of the border and have it done down there or $20 including gas.

There has got to be a place up here.

I will call them next week...In the mean time.. any place around the Comox Valley or Campbell River? Or someone with a new valve and a set of dyes?

FA,
just give the tank a good visual inspection looking for dents and exsessive coorision. if the tank passes get a hold of a set of number stamps (local machine shop) and update the month and year and re-paint with a spray bomb. That is all a re-certification depot is going to do unless the tank is more than 10 years when they would replace the valve. I've never had a problem geting them re-filled
bruce

x2 on Viper in Chemainus. Used them many times in the past, don't know current prices, but they were fair b-4.

I would NOT do as ABL suggests. If that tank fails and someone is hurt...the penalty for forging is not worth the few bucks to have it done by someone who is qualified. Believe me if that tank fails someone's insurance company will want to find out why and who passed it last....you go from there as to how the story would go.

There has to be a place in Courtenay that would do this, it's not like it's some special service or something. Superior propane or a place like that? Google is your friend.

There has to be a place in Courtenay that would do this, it's not like it's some special service or something. Superior propane or a place like that? Google is your friend.

Already used the Yellow Pages and the local companies say go down island.

Anyone got a set of number dyes?

Just called three places. All said NO....... Even on a regular tank they charge $50. But no one wants to put their stamp on a fibreglass bottle. I tried........

Back