Problem with 4 stroke 6 HP kicker

Peahead

My 2000 Merc. 4 stroke kicker is in the shop and they are having problems fixing my kicker. They have checked "everything" and overhalled the carb, compression test is good but they just can't figure out whats wrong. The motor starts first pull and runs great then after a few hrs they try to start again, won't start no matter how many pulls. Later again next day it starts fine first or second pull. This repeats so something intermitten is wrong. Anyone recognize this or had this problem ?

It sounds like an electrical problem, possibly heat creates the problem and after a while it cools and resets. If it is a fuel problem it might be checked by squirting a bit of fuel in the carb when it won't start to see if that makes a difference. Another thought is to take it to a priest and have the demon exorcised.

IMG_1445.jpg

Has it starting quitting when warm yet? Not very versed on outboards but anytime You here of someone having problems with a warm engine that runs well when cooled down, the first thing to become suspect is the coil. A bad coil can be fine when cool and cause nothing but problems when warm.

Yea, maybe an ignition prob, it sucks troubleshooting something by changing parts unless you can return them. I have heard of exaust pipes leaking causing the same problem as youre describing. You can eliminate this from your list of possible causes by running it without the hood.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Are you close to Campbell River? If so and the shop cant figure it out, shoot me a pm, Id like to take a stab at it. I am a mechanic working for myself. Im usually successful at tricky problems.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Peahead: Please post if you do figure it out. These forums are plastered with similar problems but once things are running the thread goes dead. I alway like to know what happened in case it happens to me one day!
GT

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Thanks for all the tips and responses so far Gsmith, Despy, IFL and geo_t ! I will pass on this info to make sure all this stuff has been checked. THANKS!!

I am on the North Shore and the motor is in West Van. so unfortunately CR is too far IFL but thx so much for the offer to take a stab. Apparently the next step is someone from Merc is coming out to look at it.....wow that sounds odd ??

The motor starts cold first pull or two sometimes but won't start cold other times. Example after several cold pulls it eventually almost catches ....a sputter maybe but then 20 morte pulls , nothing. It rarely starts from a warm start as I recall. In fact it seems to have a worse record starting once its warm and been run and is turned off. CONFUSING . The shop did tell me the plug provides good spark sometimes but not others so they think its something electrical. I assume they tries different plugs ( new plug put in after it was doing this with old) This motor just uses one.

Yes geo T no problem I will not let this thread die ( like my kicker!!) I will post outcome.

Oh yeah one other thing , once it starts it seems to run fine and doesn't die at all - trolled for six hrs recently then turned it off and wouldn't start up again !! Let it rest 1/2 hr and still wouldn't start.

quote:Originally posted by Despy

Has it starting quitting when warm yet? Not very versed on outboards but anytime You here of someone having problems with a warm engine that runs well when cooled down, the first thing to become suspect is the coil. A bad coil can be fine when cool and cause nothing but problems when warm.

Well , got a call this afternoon ( after I left a message last night with the shop telling them all the ideas I got here)

Seems Despy could be correct . The tech from Merc has suggested that once all electrical connections are cleaned and secure, if the problem still exists, it is probably a bad coil !!! The merc guy says they have had some bad coils show up in these outboards so he suspects that. They are going to pull one from another motor to test first then order one from TORONTO !!! if this test proves that it is in fact the coil.
I will let you know what happens.....

quote:Originally posted by geo_tonz

Peahead: Please post if you do figure it out. These forums are plastered with similar problems but once things are running the thread goes dead. I alway like to know what happened in case it happens to me one day!
GT

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Ok SOLVED ..... I promised I would get back with a final diagnosis on this problem, even if it took a few months. It was the stator under the fly wheel that was the problem. My motor has been in the shop since fall but was basically put on hold after a repacement coil DID NOT turn out to be the problem. The shop waited till they got a similar motor in and they swapped out the stator from under the fly wheel......voila, the new stator solved it.

Back