Prized sockeye being dumped

Me too.

It's a shame when you think of the lost spawning escapement. Even though it is a hatchery enhanced system, they still shouldn't have gone to waste like that.

I've seen and heard this story time and time again with Sockeye and Chum... Pickup loads of fish dumped on a member's lawn as their share of a hereditary right, whether they want them or not.

Keep up the facade of need to continue pressing for increased right to a resource mto the exclusion of all others.

Where did I see the quote (para) "we have the right to and will kill the very last wild fish in existence."... to prove some point only Stalin & Hitler could understand?

Sick, very sick.

All over the news. I'm sure this makes a lot of First Nations upset as well. Perhaps First Nations should consider policing themselves.
The white man isn't doing a good job.

I spoke to some FN friends of mine this evening on this and the disgust and anger is reflected in their world also , all those who are trying to do something good in fish farms and policing themselves just had there heritage and efforts destroyed by some idiots from that part of the Island , I feel for them as the "I told you so 's " will be running around and pointing at all the FN people !
What a bloody world we live in !!!!!

AL

AlleyCat, I commiserate with you and your FN friends.

Those who so arrogantly work to destroy should take heed from the Osoyoos band who have worked hard and successfully proved they can get sockeye returns to a once rich and since barren (except for bullheads) area. (and apparently trying to get returns up the Columbia as well.)

Now that's a bunch that might be tempted to apply some pretty aggressive justice to such wastrels if found.

Why wouldn't they just throw the chum back in the water? I believe the commercial guys have D.F.O. watching them during an opening. Maybe F.N. may want to appoint people to oversee their fishery.
Also I would like to see more officers on the Fraser when the bottom bouncers are catching sox when they are closed. They cause lots of mortality as well. I witnessed mistreatment of fish almost everytime we were out.Many times the fish are dragged on the beach and they flop around on the rocks before the hook is out. I have even seen the fish kicked back in the river. That was three years ago since I decided not to take part in such stupidity. Lets get some of that action on t.v. or the papers and see public reaction.

The problem here lies with lack of prosecution and consequences within the FN community. Very few charges are ever brought forward on individuals who abuse the resource. They are only human and there will always be a few idiots will take advantage of the lack of will by DFO and the bureaucrats in Ottawa to uphold the law.
In these times, wasting any wild salmon is a moral crime. How many sport fishermen dump out freezer burned salmon each spring, because they caught more than they needed? (Or feed it to crabs in their traps.) As a busy charter operator, I see the same recreational sport guys out day after day...if I kept count they are keeping way more than their annual limit. (no doubt about it) How many licenses do they loose in a year and not re-record their chinook catches? The same goes for halibut....how much frickin halibut can you eat in a year...where does it all go? I don't think the FN guys are the only ones getting $$$'s for their fish.

Should have added to above, there has to be a annual limit for halibut. Somewhere between 8-10 halibut per year per license is plenty for anyone.

Agree with Profisher, good comments.
One of the problems, as I see it, is that no one is exactly clear on what the law is for FN fisheries.

But for the rest of us it is clear.
Anyway, here's two ads posted recently, one from UsedNanaimo, the other from UsedVictoria, both in the Fishing Tackle section.

WANTED: (sockeye salmon for canning)
looking to buy 6-12 sockeye salmon for canning will pay 12.00 bucks a fish North Nanaimo

TRADE CHICKEN FOR FISH!
We have farm raised chicken for sale @ 4.00 a pound.We will also trade for Fish Beef or Pork. Malahat (including Shawnigan Lake & Mill Bay)

Didnt see any chums, just net marked soxs

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Should have added to above, there has to be a annual limit for halibut. Somewhere between 8-10 halibut per year per license is plenty for anyone.

Agreed how much can a person eat. 10 hali a year is more than enough.

Back