Prince Rupert 2018 trip

Sitkaspruce

Hey guys, been away from the site for a while since I moved for McNeill and see that there has been some changes.......

We usually hit Hardy for our trip, but this year, we are heading Rupert first week of July to see some new country and try some new spots. We are set up for our camping spot in Port Edwards.

I am looking for answers or any suggestions on the following:

- we have been told that it is first come for wharf space at the wharf in Port Edwards, is there a cost to tying up at the wharf?
- I think I have some spots to check out for salmon based on combing the old posts on here and doing the old Google Research, but very little on ling and hali. Not looking for GPS spots, but if you feel the need to PM me with some general locations, I won't complain.....or spread them around.
- should we bring prawn and crab traps?
- by the time we are up there, bait size small, medium or large? Trying to figure out the size of bait we should bring for both chovies and herring. Plus hardware for plugs and spoons.
- any other hints or tips?

You can PM me if you want.

Thanks all!!

Cheers

SS

It's nice country to explore and there are still a few fish around if you are willing to put in the time.

Last edited:
Having said that, it's still nice country to explore and there are still a few fish around if you are willing to put in the time.

I do a week trip every year starting about Canada day.
Its definately not what it can be, but our group played tons of salmon over the week.
We were catch & release unless bleeders, and had some hot action as well as some slow.
Hali and ling was very good and we got limits in both. Easily could have had our 3 persons salmon limit if were keeping them.
We were staying on the boat on north end of Dundas or clam shacks at Zayas.
A little far for day burns?
Best fishing within quick shot was squatterie.
The one day we spent fishing there on our way back into town was best spring fishing with biggest average.
I love it out there. I’ll be leaving port july 1st again this year for 8-10 days out.

great country. Can be wet (we ussually found better fishing in June but also more rain) but July shouldn't be too bad for you hopefully. Lots of area's to try. You can get lucky just about anywhere down there. We usually also fished around the north end of dundas and Zayas as well. Out front of the work channel can be good. or near the mouth of the skeena. Just follow the boats and you'll find a few spots. Some fish around humpback bay and it's fairly close to port Ed... Many head out to Stephens Island as well...
We do well pulling large cut plug herring, no flasher...
Definitely bring the crab and prawn traps...

I will be up there as much as I can this year. We usually fish out of Work Channel and last year was awesome for coho and halibut. We didn’t do great on lings, but caught a couple. Doesn’t seem to be much structure around for them. Looks like over Dundas way would have more. We never made it over there though.

Still getting used to the area, but it is awesome just being out there.

Oly

Back