Price of a Pod

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by Stoisy, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Stoisy

Stoisy Member

Hey guys,

Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything on pods.
    Does anyone have any experience putting a pod on a smaller boat, 15 feet, and how it helped the performance? I've got a 4-stroke on the back of an older Hourston, and she sits low in the stern now. Would it make sense to add a pod with a boat this small?
    Anyone have a general idea of what price that might be?

Cheers

2. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

It would really depend on configuration of your stern.
    Is there a splash well, molded in seats etc ?

3. Stoisy

Stoisy Member

There is currently a small splash well, but I was planning on getting rid of that and just making it flush along the back if I were to install a pod.

trophywife likes this.
  4. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

It may be more work than it's worth ?

5. Tightlines22

Tightlines22 Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree that it's likely more work than it's worth. You might want to search out a boat a few feet bigger. I think you'd be happier with that.

6. kaelc

kaelc Well-Known Member

I'd be concerned about what you would have to mount the extension to. How old is the boat/transom and how solid is it and what is your time worth? If your time is free, and you are good with fibreglass and slinging motors and there was a guy on used victoria making pods.

16 foot hulls do come up for sale that you might be able to put your larger 4 stroke on. There is a member who had a wicked 17 foot double eagle with a pod, with no power who might pm you, if you put a wanted ad up.

7. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

Don't do it...the boat is to small and the centre of gravity will be moved to far aft. You can move the motor aft on a larger hull and it doesn't change its ride drastically..or change how it sits in the water at rest.
    You will likely develop a bad case of porpoising on the plane as well.

8. Damien

Damien Active Member

Sage advice already, just one more POV. Do you have a kicker installed back there as well? Can you ditch it and and troll off the main?

As others mentioned, it might make sense to find a hull, or good deal on a package with an otherwise tired motor and move you existing power over. Heck, you might even find a package with a serviceable 2 stroke that you can get some money for or move onto your existing hull and sell as a package.

Warning, your wife will NOT like the idea of looking at two boats while you do the shuffle.

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Active Member

IMG_0956.JPG
    Some guys will add flotation pods on either side of the outboard, you could build them out of plywood and just glue and bolt them on.

chromatose007 and kaelc like this.
  10. Stoisy

Stoisy Member

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Sounds like it's time to look for something new.