Price of a Pod

Stoisy

Hey guys,

Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything on pods.
Does anyone have any experience putting a pod on a smaller boat, 15 feet, and how it helped the performance? I've got a 4-stroke on the back of an older Hourston, and she sits low in the stern now. Would it make sense to add a pod with a boat this small?
Anyone have a general idea of what price that might be?

Cheers

There is currently a small splash well, but I was planning on getting rid of that and just making it flush along the back if I were to install a pod.

I would tend to agree that it's likely more work than it's worth. You might want to search out a boat a few feet bigger. I think you'd be happier with that.

I'd be concerned about what you would have to mount the extension to. How old is the boat/transom and how solid is it and what is your time worth? If your time is free, and you are good with fibreglass and slinging motors and there was a guy on used victoria making pods.

16 foot hulls do come up for sale that you might be able to put your larger 4 stroke on. There is a member who had a wicked 17 foot double eagle with a pod, with no power who might pm you, if you put a wanted ad up.

Don't do it...the boat is to small and the centre of gravity will be moved to far aft. You can move the motor aft on a larger hull and it doesn't change its ride drastically..or change how it sits in the water at rest.
You will likely develop a bad case of porpoising on the plane as well.

Sage advice already, just one more POV. Do you have a kicker installed back there as well? Can you ditch it and and troll off the main?

As others mentioned, it might make sense to find a hull, or good deal on a package with an otherwise tired motor and move you existing power over. Heck, you might even find a package with a serviceable 2 stroke that you can get some money for or move onto your existing hull and sell as a package.

Warning, your wife will NOT like the idea of looking at two boats while you do the shuffle.

Back