pressure cooking crab

Hi! Does anyone use a pressure cooker for crabs? Want to share how you do it?

Thanks
PB

will watch with interest to see replies...never thought of using a pressure cooker for crab.
why would you??
I use large pot, add salt, (or use salt water if it's handy) bring to a boil, put in cleaned and halved crabs and keep at a low boil for 20 minutes, making sure the pot does not boil over with foam.
I am assuming you do not cook your crabs live?

I actually do it same as you ( but only boil for 13 min ). An old timer at the dock says that pressure cooked crab takes less than 5 min, is sweeter, is easier to remove from shell… just wondering if anyone else has tried..

I actually do it same as you ( but only boil for 13 min ). An old timer at the dock says that pressure cooked crab takes less than 5 min, is sweeter, is easier to remove from shell… just wondering if anyone else has tried..

interesting....gota believe those "old timers"
I sometime add a little sugar to the water....for what it's worth.

Wow! you guys sure cook your crab a long time!! I only steam mine for 6-8 min.
Same, only about 6mins done, couple inches of water with a full pot of crab.

The crab would be done before the pressure cooker got to pressure.

I did try canning crab meat in the pressure cooker, be it turned out mediocre.

Steam as in pressure cook or steam in pot above boiling water?? Do your crabs touch the water?
I steam in pot with boiling water, no need to elevate the crab.
The bottom crabs touch the water, but they all cook evenly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup....I am with the guys on 6-7 mins. When I first read this thread I was surprised how long some are cooking them.

In a tall ordinary pot I put an inch or 2 of salted water-some guys use broth or herbed water-get it to a hard boil-place CLEANED crab in-put lid on-get to a boil again-6 min at the hard boil should do it-take out-spray with cold water to stop cooking and clean the "crab Fat". That's it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a squirt of olive oil or corn oil in the water before boiling and the foam cleans off easily.

will watch with interest to see replies...never thought of using a pressure cooker for crab.
why would you??
I use large pot, add salt, (or use salt water if it's handy) bring to a boil, put in cleaned and halved crabs and keep at a low boil for 20 minutes, making sure the pot does not boil over with foam.
I am assuming you do not cook your crabs live?

20 minutes in boiling water is going to way over cook crab, unless that's your preference I suggest trying what others have posted on here. 6-8 mins and and when it's done cooking cool it to stop the cooking process. Crab is delicate.

I at times cook my crab in more of a broth than water.
Try this.

2-4 crabs, fully submersed.

Heavily salted water
Heaping table spoon of butter.
Minced garlic
Half cup or more of pepper.

Boil using your preferred time and temp.

Clean crabs by halving them, rinse in water. Cook in sea water at a rapid bowl for 5 minutes. Remove and run under cold water. Any crab you can't eat in the next 3 days shuck, vacuum seal and freeze for up to 6 months. Is how I do it anyways. Thanks for all the ideas!

Ive been steaming mine with a few rocks in the bottom of my pot and an inch or two of sea water. When the pot really gets steaming I add my halved crabs, and secure the lid with a couple of big rocks. In the time it takes to drink exactly one half of a lucky the crabs are cooked to perfection :)

Do you guys start timing the 6 minutes when the water comes back to a full boil with the crabs in it or just when you drop them in?

Lots of pepper Dave. Takes a lot to spice them up in the water but many compliments on the finished crab.

Back