Preliminary 2018 salmon outlook/Forecast/Management Measures

I'll prob get shot for saying this as I'm likely a bit naive and looking at this rather simplistically. I think if what we all want is for the salmon stocks to replenish all over the board so that they don't get wiped out, then there simply needs to be non-retention of any salmon species by anyone for something like 5 years, commercial and native included. Straight catch and release. Maybe then we will actually see if they have a possibility of bouncing back.

Great to fall on the sword, we've all become accustomed to that, and most I think are willing to do their part going forward. But frankly its more complicated that everyone stop with the removals and all will be well. There are root cause problems that need to be addressed well beyond managing the "harvesters" to zero. All you have to do is look at what catch and release fisheries management for steelhead got us....extinction. Managing the rec community to zero is not the root cause.

Great to fall on the sword, we've all become accustomed to that, and most I think are willing to do their part going forward. But frankly its more complicated that everyone stop with the removals and all will be well. There are root cause problems that need to be addressed well beyond managing the "harvesters" to zero. All you have to do is look at what catch and release fisheries management for steelhead got us....extinction. Managing the rec community to zero is not the root cause.

Their is many threads discussing the root causes, unfortunately DFO has asked us,commercials to make a 25-35% reduction in Fraser river chinook catches. Imo this is just to supply natives with more fish but that’s not up to debate.

What’s up for debate is how to make cuts.

Also anyone know where to find the numbers for sports caught and released chinook?

Here is the link to the Pacific Salmon Commissions Technical Committee reports:

http://www.psc.org/publications/technical-reports/technical-committee-reports/

As you can see the Chinook report for 2017 will be coming this May.

Personally I'd peg the BC sports Incidental Mortality to be higher than average seeing as BC is the ONLY place on the coast that still allows treble hooks; plus it's illegal to remove a fish to be released from the water here in WA.

https://www.ktoo.org/2018/04/06/southeast-king-salmon-cuts-hit-commercial-trollers-net-fisheries/

"Fishery managers in early April also released the harvest limit for king salmon for the rest of the year in the region and announced that harvest limit will be reduced by 10 percent to conserve chinook returning to Southeast Alaska, the trans-boundary rivers and northern British Columbia.

The fish are managed under an international treaty with Canada. The announcement means trollers have an allocation of 95,700 kings for the winter spring and summer seasons combined, a drop of 59,080 from last year’s allocation."

I'll prob get shot for saying this as I'm likely a bit naive and looking at this rather simplistically. I think if what we all want is for the salmon stocks to replenish all over the board so that they don't get wiped out, then there simply needs to be non-retention of any salmon species by anyone for something like 5 years, commercial and native included. Straight catch and release. Maybe then we will actually see if they have a possibility of bouncing back.

Not if the FN community continues with its raping and zero accountability .
Not if the Seal issue continues to NOT BE DEALT WITH.

our HEADS OF POWER turning away yet again and NOT DEALING WITH THE REAL PROBLEMS.

How do you guys and gals feel about upping the chinook salmon bycatch limits for the trawlers?

Ahh, good old America!! Doing a fine job with our Halibut & Salmon!!

** But, most importantly, they don't use treble hooks!**

http://kmxt.org/2018/03/kodiak-island-borough-assembly-support-changes-chinook-catch-limits/

ewwwww

"In their letter, the assembly points out that most of the kings caught by trawlers aren’t from the northwest Gulf of Alaska. Instead, it claims the vast majority of Chinook originate in Southeast Alaska, British Columbia, and the American Northwest. The letter says even a small adjustment to the cap will benefit Kodiak and other communities in the region."

Not if the FN community continues with its raping and zero accountability .
Not if the Seal issue continues to NOT BE DEALT WITH.

our HEADS OF POWER turning away yet again and NOT DEALING WITH THE REAL PROBLEMS.
You’re absolutely right.

Any efforts will be trumped by the pinipeds, river gillnets and dragger by catch.

Last edited:
ewwwww

"In their letter, the assembly points out that most of the kings caught by trawlers aren’t from the northwest Gulf of Alaska. Instead, it claims the vast majority of Chinook originate in Southeast Alaska, British Columbia, and the American Northwest. The letter says even a small adjustment to the cap will benefit Kodiak and other communities in the region."

So what they are saying is that they don't care about conservation concerns that are are not in their own back yard.
They are more than happy to take fish from BC and even their own countrymen further south.

Don't get sucked into the rabbit hole of blaming other groups. Every single sector has an impact. The department in Ottawa had years to react to the decline salmon numbers. It chose not to do so. We are where we are because of the government and the challenges with climate change in the ecosystem.

This year is going to be a suprise for many areas with potential management measures but it's necessary to ensure more fish get back to spawning areas. FN will be affected as well. The major systems on mainland are in very bad shape. If we don't do anything across sectors then we could be faced with a total closure someday. We all need to realize that. Maybe it's a year of releasing more but we still get to keep fishing.

The US have always intercepted fish. The FN have always been in river...The commercial have always been fishing. Etc. Etc... The abundance of fish is the major issue.

Don't get sucked into the rabbit hole of blaming other groups. Every single sector has an impact. The department in Ottawa had years to react to the decline salmon numbers. It chose not to do so. We are where we are because of the government and the challenges with climate change in the ecosystem.

This year is going to be a suprise for many areas with potential management measures but it's necessary to ensure more fish get back to spawning areas. FN will be affected as well. The major systems on mainland are in very bad shape. If we don't do anything across sectors then we could be faced with a total closure someday. We all need to realize that. Maybe it's a year of releasing more but we still get to keep fishing.

The US have always intercepted fish. The FN have always been in river...The commercial have always been fishing. Etc. Etc... The abundance of fish is the major issue.

Yes absolutely, every group will feel the pain including in-river FN's....unless the Minister uses some of this to bait and switch (commercial and rec) and then "re-allocates" fish to FN's as a part of the reconciliation agenda. Time will tell as to what the Minister's agenda really is....conservation effort shared by all users, or reconciliation switchero.

Last edited:
If you truly want to know how far we have fallen, Google the words “preliminary catalogue of salmon streams Sooke”. Escapement reports starting from the 40’s for many rivers and streams between Victoria and Sooke.
Sorry can’t seem to access a link and don’t know how to post a PDF file here.
Historical reports such as this, are available for many other juristications on our coast as well.

Jet boats and monofilament/twine nets as well?

I am not getting into with you as that is totally different topic. I do believe DFO needs to clamp down on poaching, and also must monitor enforcement etc. You can't simply blame FN that there are no fish because of that activity. I fully and will always support the title to harvest fish for a bands' needs. It is important for people to understand that the salmon is en grained in the First nations way of life on the coast before Canada wrecked it.It isn't entirely their fault that there isn't an abundance right now.

Through its own culture this dependency on fish passed down from FN elders downward. I am not 100% on selling and that when it gets grey for me. When that turns into abuse yes it should be questioned. Keep in mind a lot of poaching also occurs from non - first nations people. Just my view.

Flip the table around and you may see it a different way.

Back