Prawning and Crabbing Campbell River

A

albertaguy

Prairie Boy needs advice on prawning and crabbing!!

As I am from Alberta, my previous seafood harvesting has taken place at Superstore.
I have just bought a small boat in Comox and plan to take the family out for a week of cruising and I wanted to do some prawning and crabbing.
I want to buy a couple of traps and other related equipment but as I have no knowledge in this area, I am asking for some advice.

We will be driving out the third week in March and plan to stay on the boat for five days.

If anyone can also suggest some places of interest to visit around Desolation Sound, the area we plan to go to, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

March is a great time for Desolation Sound if you don't mind the cold. Great area for prawning is off the mouth of Okeover on your way into Desolation. Tenedos Bay is usually quiet around spring break and the trout fishing at the Unwin lakes just up the trail from the bay is fantastic at that time. Watch for Sky Pilot Rock as you head North to a wonderful anchorage called Prideaux Haven. If the weather is clear you will get some wonderful views of the coast mountains, and the star lit night sky is phenomenal for star gazing

Edited by - kisinana on 02/27/2006 20:09:01

Thanks for the tip on Tyee Marine.
I was out last weekend to do some work on the boat and when I landed at Comox I thought I was landing at Winnipeg instead.
The was over a foot of snow and it was still snowing.
I stayed on board for two nights and realized a warm sleeping bag is needed on an aluminum boat.
As for experience,not much on a power boats but have sailed over from Vancouver a couple of times.

March???? Thats a pretty tough time of year to be cruising. Do you have any saltwater experience? Are you sure you cant do this a month or two later?? Be careful However, Cortes Island is a great little island to visit. Quite a few protected anchorages if (when) the wind comes up.

Prawns will not be a problem-- Buy your gear from Tyee Marine in Campbell River and dont be shy about asking where they are doing well ( and where the closed areas, if any, are) They will give you current advice. Crabs-- there are a number of sites but the north shore of Savory has good crabbing in 80-125 ft of water. Been so long since I have been up Desolation Sound ( notice the name-- its very aptly named in the winter/early spring)I cant give you much help there.
Good luck-- and stay safe

[/quote]

I picked up a cruising guide and it mentions not to miss Prideaux Haven so we plan to go there.
Thanks for the fishing tips, I will look into Unwin Lakes

March is a great time for Desolation Sound if you don't mind the cold. Great area for prawning is off the mouth of Okeover on your way into Desolation. Tenedos Bay is usually quiet around spring break and the trout fishing at the Unwin lakes just up the trail from the bay is fantastic at that time. Watch for Sky Pilot Rock as you head North to a wonderful anchorage called Prideaux Haven. If the weather is clear you will get some wonderful views of the coast mountains, and the star lit night sky is phenomenal for star gazing

Edited by - kisinana on 02/27/2006 20:09:01
[/quote]

Back