powercats

juandesooka

I am intrigued by the powercat boats I see around. Glacier Bay seems to be the most common brand around here. I like the idea of getting the hull out of the water, must be good on gas, and I imagine a smooth ride in chop. Just like the fast ferries! (which, despite political insanity, I understand had a pretty good ride)

Anyone own one of these and care to comment?
How do they do in a chop and in seas?
How do they compare to monohulls in maneuverability?
Are they more fuel efficient?

The unfortunate part is they seem to be pretty expensive.

[I also have a nagging feeling this topic has already been discussed...possibly raised by me! I searched archives, but couldn't find it...so apologies in advance if a repeat]

I'm sure there's a reason Grady only made their cat for 4 years.

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

I'm sure there's a reason Grady only made their cat for 4 years.

Its because the cat market was just getting started, and they couldnt find their groove in it.
World Cat uses their mold now, and are more popular than glacier bay (on the east coast where they all come from)
Marcus Kennett at buckys sport shop in duncan is a salesman/rep for glacier bay and charters out of one. Ive been on it and it rides INCREDIBLE

in vic there is a whale watching boat that is a cat, i have been on it and it is a very smooth ride and fast, go check it out, casey is the name of the guy that runs it

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

interesting...glacier bay's website says they've now merged with world cat.

still all a pipe dream, I'm not getting a new boat anytime soon! but doesn't mean you can't keep an eye out for what might come next...

;)

bought out by world cat when they went bankrupt i believe

Back