Powell River 2014

Lots of coho and small springs today. Not sure what happened but there sure weren't many nets being used today.

Water went from calm to 15 knots in a heartbeat around 8pm

has grants died down ? was thinking of going out there today. any info on it or coho point would be appreciated.
cheers
st

has grants died down ? was thinking of going out there today. any info on it or coho point would be appreciated.
cheers
st

I was there last Monday and the fishing was great, plenty of Coho and springs. There was lots of bait around.

I tried again last night. It was very warm and very flat on the water and lots of boast out but it was very slow. Not much bait around but I picked up a few coho but nothing worth keeping. No chinook. I did mamange to catch a small coho casting a spoon among the bait that was boiling on the surface.

Was at Grants last night and it was really slow for us, no keepers. Moved before high tide to Coho Point and hit a 25lb Chinook right away and then not a sniff. 602 6" Tomic Plug 151 feet.

I know of a 28lbs taken at grants this morning but all and all it has slowed down. I managed a few springs and some coho at Favada Pt off Texada Friday night. On our local Friday derby the winner a 19.5 lbs came from iron mines.

I hit coho point up for a twenty pounder and a few under size, then went to mystery reef a few small ones then back to coho for a twenty two pounder and a few more undersize. all on plugs

Haven't been out much lately last time was a week ago bonked a 10lbs off the sandbanks on Harwood. Talk with my buddies who get a out a lot and actually just got off the phone with one who was out all morning and the word as of late is Skunk. This could just be in my circle of friends but things are slow a few fish coming in but nothing to really report. Seems like the local fleet has spread out and trying all over with similar results.

Big Local derby this Sunday biggest salmon $1,000

http://powellriverseafair.ca/derby/

Saw a handful of coho caught behind our tie-up right beside the river mouth at Powell river mill the other day. One aluminum boat in particular seemed to get one almost every pass only 100-150 yards out from the rail slip pilings.

Fished Iron Mines from 2 to 9 pm. Beautiful day on the water. Lots of undersize springs and some legal coho that were put back. Lots of dogfish as well. Picked up a 15 lber and give it a gunnel massage. Good bait balls around, all and all great night.
Burt.jpg

Finally made it out again and whacked a 24 and a 13 Also lost a beauty after a nice fight. Van Anda 160ft we be plugging. Hurtlocker owned the net tonight!

image.jpg

Fished Van Anda for 6 hrs through a tide, not a sniff. No nets out on all the other boats tonight as well. Still a great night out on the water.

Heading up to camp just north of Pender Harbour for a couple of days. May want to dangle a rod for a day if I can escape family life. I know this is a Powell River thread, but thought you guys may be more in the know on any charter recommendations in Pender or Earl's Cove etc?

Out of my territory

I rented a larger boat, leaving home turf and heading north with the family. I've been up there once before with wishiniwasfishing last year. I think we met leftcoast out at Grants. Wondering if I have a couple hours tomorrow afternoon should i hit grants or iron mines? Got decent speed, 1 week, should I head to toba or keep going north to personal virgin territory?

I rented a larger boat, leaving home turf and heading north with the family. I've been up there once before with wishiniwasfishing last year. I think we met leftcoast out at Grants. Wondering if I have a couple hours tomorrow afternoon should i hit grants or iron mines? Got decent speed, 1 week, should I head to toba or keep going north to personal virgin territory?

Those are both great spots, Iron Mines is my fav spot, it never lets me down. I know Coho Pt down to Marshall Rock have been really good the last couple of days. If you don't know the spot, it's the north pt of Texada fishing down on the west side of island until you get to Marshall Pt. You can even continue south to Favada Pt. Lots of ground to fish.

Those are both great spots, Iron Mines is my fav spot, it never lets me down. I know Coho Pt down to Marshall Rock have been really good the last couple of days. If you don't know the spot, it's the north pt of Texada fishing down on the west side of island until you get to Marshall Pt. You can even continue south to Favada Pt. Lots of ground to fish.

Never had the privilege to fish up in PR, about 1-1.5 hr ride North with the boat from where I'm usually at. Where exactly is the Iron Mines, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you want. South down by Pender Harbour it's been tough fishing for the last few weeks. Lots of people getting skunked (more than usual :) ) as it usually tails off starting in August....

Back