Powell River 2014

put in a long day yesterday, we ended up with two nice springs on the back side of texada. one about 12 pounds one about 16 both very chrome. caught one on a plug one on a spoon

We fished Coho Pt to Marshall yesterday and did great. Using plugs with pink on them down 160 ft. We tried lots of other gear and depths picked up everything on pink plugs and 150 to 160. Kept 2 springs biggest 16lbs, lost a nice one and released 2.

I was fishing Pt Upwood (South end of Texada) Saturday morning til noon. Trolled around for quite awhile marked a TON of bait, at many depths but mostly 150'+. Didn't see any fish being netted. Tried fishing really deep on the riggers as well, no luck there either.

Also was fishing plugs. Had a hit on my 5" 602, other side was a Green/white 6", lost confidence (But had great action, so who knows), switched to spoons/plastic. Then proceeded to hook my nice 15 lb cannonball on the bottom getting desperate and fishing structure (also having a rookie aboard really makes things more difficult than fishing solo!) Story of my season, a lot of money, not a lot of fish :)

Sunday fished Quarry bay shoals at first light for a few hours, marked more than usual, again nothing though besides a shaker. They aren't biting!

Yesterday was an amazing flat calm day on the water. With that in mind I headed across from Comox to Coho Pt in the afternoon for an evening fish. Lines in the water by about 2:30 plug deep on one side and cop car spoon at 50 on the other. In the first hour had a few light hits on the spoon but nothing stuck. Finally the rod bent hard and pulled up a sockeye on the cop car spoon. Decided to change over to sockeye gear and out came the pink squirt. Half hour later had a very vicious strike on the squirt at 45 feet. This fish was amazing, peeled off line and came to the surface to display itself several times leaping out of the water. Awesome battle and it was only when I got it in the net that i realized it was a coho. Big hooked nose and weighed on my rusty scale at 12 lbs! The plug rod produced nothing all day, not even a sniff. Lost another on the pink squirt as well which I'm sure was another sockeye since part of it's lip was still attached to the hook. Amazing ride home heading into the sunset. Good day.

Up to Toba for the weekend. Limit of crab, limit of snapper and lost a 50-60lb hali at the boat. Not a good weekend to leave the harpoon at home. Straightened the hook and shook the gaff. Lesson learned. Great time none the less. Weather was spectacular.

Back