Portable Buddy Heaters

This works fine for me--- also, the bottom of the plywood has rubber matting glued to it so it does not "walk" when its choppy. I can run at 25mph and it does not go out.

IMGP3308_zps7ff883b6.jpg

theres also 2 slots on the back that you can hang it on , i used 2 large # 10 wood screws ,
that stick out 3/16 in , hang it in my cockpit area outta the way , PERFECT , does not get hot enuff to burn anything ,
just the dumbasses that forget its there , and singe there pants or boots : )

i bought a mini marine propane tank , costs less than $ 10 ta fill , lasts for 20 hrs on low im thinkin , CHEAP ta run
worth every WARM penny lol...

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a coleman portable , 1lb bottle heater , works great, never used in a heavy sea and would probably not recomend it but did keep me warm fishing a number of cold rainy windy Alberni days last season.

heater_zps1a8be10a.jpg

I use a coleman portable , 1lb bottle heater , works great, never used in a heavy sea and would probably not recomend it but did keep me warm fishing a number of cold rainy windy Alberni days last season.

heater_zps1a8be10a.jpg
Does not even compare to a buddy heater. Bought one and returned it. Difference is Coleman makes you think there is heat where a buddy heater heats the space and quickly.

Does not even compare to a buddy heater. Bought one and returned it. Difference is Coleman makes you think there is heat where a buddy heater heats the space and quickly.

Thanks FA and good to know just in case I need a step up ! For now it se Coleman for me since I got it .....or does someone want to buy it or tade me for their buddy heater .... guess not eh ! LOL

Just received an early update on the Crappy Tire Flyer. Starting Friday, they have the Buddy Heaters at 20% off. Could be a good opportunity to score one.;) eman

Thanks FA and good to know just in case I need a step up ! For now it se Coleman for me since I got it .....or does someone want to buy it or tade me for their buddy heater .... guess not eh ! LOL
Po

Picked up my Mr Heater at Crappy Tire in Richmond (portable buddy 4-9000 BTU, the square unit) for 106.00 all inclusive of taxes and levy etc.
Going to set it up like Cuba !

You take that Coleman back to the store did ya?

to old to take back , in fact I looked at Canadian Tire web page and doesnt look like they are selling them anymore so ???? maybe to many exchange for Buddies LOL

We've been using one of the coleman sport cats (or whatever its called) for several years and it is good enough for most weather, but when we were out at New Years, just didn't provide enough heat, so we just got a Portable Buddy, the midsized one. It sure puts out more heat then our oldie so I think it will be away better.

By the way, they are on sale at CDN Tire for $91 this week. Best deal I could find when you consider shipping.

Comments about fogging up windows is correct. Propane heaters in any form will do that. Just takes a bit of air movement, either from a fan, open window or open curtain to clear them up. I think their safe enough with a bit of caution.

Next purchase is to get one of the adapter things Mr.Heater sells to fill the baby bottles. I have a home made hose set up but its a bit awkward and I often overfill. Their rig sounds just right. Don't think you can buy in Canada, but keeping my eye open and may just order one out of the States. Cabela's sells them, but won't ship to Canada.

OK I did it...
Out came 4 screws...2 on each side.
photo_zps04f7f4fe.jpg

photo_zpsf72c22b2.jpg

Off came the back...
photo_zpseb6593d7.jpg

Located and disconnected tip switch...
photo_zps4fade9ef.jpg

Then removed it and twisted the wires together, crimped and cover them...
photo_zps3c479b96.jpg

photo_zpse10a1fcb.jpg

Now I am ready to go play..

After some thinking last night I wondered what would happen if I tipped over my heater. So I laid it on it back, I then turned it upside down with out any flare ups. Now saying that I should ad my propane bottle is almost empty and maybe if the bottle was full it may have changed the out come. Will try when I get around to refilling some bottles.

Well I was at it I cleaned my pilot light and the sucker now shoots a way staighter clear blue flame.

What I am really liking I can now move my heater around the boat with out it going out. Maybe my tip switch was more sensitive then others but just trying to lift my heater caused it to go out. Not any more.

I run one as well, tilt switch disconnected. I really like it. Its a must for winter fishing, it really takes the edge off the cold. Bit of a pig on those little propane bottles though....

This idea is free and completely safe.

One of my fishing buddies takes a large thermos of very hot water which he then fills smaller plastic bottles with on the boat. We use them to keep our hands warm in the winter, especially when handling gear and fish and they get cold.

I also found that I can stay very toasty by tightening the waist belt on my floater/survival Santa suit and putting in one or two of the bottles in the belly/chest area and zipping up the suit. The insulated suit is snug, keeps them positioned and keeps them warm and me toasty for a long time. If they get cooler you just replace the hot water from the thermos.

I run one as well, tilt switch disconnected. I really like it. Its a must for winter fishing, it really takes the edge off the cold. Bit of a pig on those little propane bottles though....

ya but your a pansy Chico :)

Back