Portable Buddy Heaters

I bought an adaptor on ebay that you can fill 1 pd propane bottles from the bigger ones. They never get completely full but are a fraction of the cost of buying new ones

I bought an adaptor on ebay that you can fill 1 pd propane bottles from the bigger ones. They never get completely full but are a fraction of the cost of buying new ones

I built one...Will take a picture and post it. The reason your are not getting your bottles full is the you need to release the pressure well transfering the liquid gas. You need to lift the pressure relief valve on the small bottle well filling. Liquid gas will come out the valve when your at 80 percent. The pressure valve may freeze open so have warm water and a rag near by.

Here is the hose I built....Works Great

photo-23.jpg

photo-25.jpg

This is the relief valve that you need to lift up in order the fill the bottle.

photo-24.jpg

I just didn't leave it on the boat for both my and my marina's insurance reasons (no big deal for me) and I didn't operate it without leaving the window open a crack.
Perhaps the answer is to not leave 1 lb propane bottles attached, removing them from the heater and taking only those home - leaving the heater on board without fuel attached should be fine and saves the hassle of carrying the thing home after every trip in the winter. The instructions suggest not leaving the heater stored with fuel tank attached anyway

So hoping to get a bit more info on these heaters. I went and bought one of the 9000btu buddy's at lordco today. I was hoping to use in my double eagle with a soft top and back drop curtains. So when I got the heater home I noticed it said in big letters OUTDOOR SAFE on the front of the box. I thought this was weird as I had read there for indoor use with proper ventilation, but there was nothing that said it can be used indoors, in fact it specifically said in the manual to not be used in any type of indoor or enclosure. My manual is also different than the one on the mr heater site, where that one states it can be used indoors. I tried finding some info on the Mr heater site and the only thing I found was it says different models are required for Canada and California. So just wondering if people have bought the one that states you can use indoors in Canada? Or are all the ones available here Outdoor Use Only? Thanks all.

i think the regs are different for the USA vrs Canada , think someone told me that when i bought mine
i use it in my boat all the time , just have some fresh air comin through , its fine great heater !

Phone: (1-800) 251-0001 is there number

fd

Yup......Not to worry I have little air coming in but I have enough. It has a air sensor built in not that I trust it. But I am not in a sealed room it's a riveted on sunbrella top..it has air coming in

I saw a 18v Forced air Kerosene heater, brain dump not sure where but would be great on a boat. like 20.000btu i believe

So hoping to get a bit more info on these heaters. I tried finding some info on the Mr heater site and the only thing I found was it says different models are required for Canada and California. So just wondering if people have bought the one that states you can use indoors in Canada? Or are all the ones available here Outdoor Use Only? Thanks all.

The laws may be different but the risks are the same. These heaters will all produce carbon dioxide and in poor conditions will produce carbon monoxide - an obvious hazard. So the lawyers say "outdoor use only". That kind of defeats the purpose of a heater, doesn't it?

As FD says, always use adequate ventilation to get rid of the CO2 and provide the needed oxygen. Rules for catalytic heater use: keep anything combustible away from the heater - like canvas; make sure the heater is not going to be knocked over accidentally - although it should shut off; always provide ventilation when the heater is in use - again, it should shut off with low oxygen; never use a catalytic heater when sleeping or when unattended - never. Be aware of the symptoms of low oxygen and carbon monoxide poisoning - get outdoors immediately and vent the space thoroughly.

Having said all that, I think they are quite safe to use on the boat when used properly, with ventilation. A little warmth sure makes the winter boating a lot more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the replies. So for all those who have this specific buddy heater are all yours the Outdoor Use Only ones? Mine says right on the back of the heater "Not for use in any enclosed space". Does everyone else have this on the back? I know they sell propane heaters like Coleman at Can tire and wholesale sports that do say they can be used indoors with some venting, so just trying to figure out if I have a different model or maybe an older model? Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies. So for all those who have this specific buddy heater are all yours the Outdoor Use Only ones? Mine says right on the back of the heater "Not for use in any enclosed space". Does everyone else have this on the back? I know they sell propane heaters like Coleman at Can tire and wholesale sports that do say they can be used indoors with some venting, so just trying to figure out if I have a different model or maybe an older model? Thanks again

My Mr. Heater unit says "Outdoor Use Only". My little 3000 BTU Coleman unit says to have a minimum of 6 square inches of vent area.

The Mr. Heater manual says:
GENERAL INFORMATION:
• This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational
enclosures, having means for providing combustion air
and ventilation, such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing
huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans. It
may be used in commercial enclosures, having means for
providing combustion air and ventilation, such as
construction trailers or temporary work enclosures.
Note: The heater can be used outdoors, but may experience
nuisance shutoffs in certain wind conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes-- same warnings-- which I fully respect. I leave my drop curtain unzipped, and have my top canvas open a bit when running. I have mounted my heater on a larger piece of plywood that has rubber matting glued to the underside so it will not slide. I love it-- make a real difference.

So just an update, I contacted Mr Heater and was told that it is the same heater as the one that states it can be used indoors. The reason it says outdoor use only is so they could have it CSA approved and sold in canada. So that solves that. Also just wondering how you guys mounted them on plywood? Was looking at the bottom of it but couldnt think of a way. Cheers

Back