Portable boat shelter.

Sea Ranger

I've been thinking about buying a boat shelter, the problem is which one.... the only one I've found so far is the one from Canadian Tire 12x24 10 ft high. The door is only 8 feet high and I've been told that I will need to raise it up 2 feet as I need 9 foot 6 inches to get the boat in without lowering the canopy. This shelter is $600.00 Does anyone else have a better idea? I really can't afford much more then that but want to get the boat out of the weather and be able to work on it during the winter.
boatshelter.jpg
[/img]

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Capital Iron have them in stock , i believe they are 10x20'
metal tubing and tan polyethlene cover @ 399.00
Let me know if it works out as i was considering this option also.

Thanks RS, The 20 footer would be too short and the tongue will stick out if I went with that size. My other option would be to build it out of wood and cover the frame with a tarp but I really don't want to go that route.

fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

Thanks RS, The 20 footer would be too short and the tongue will stick out if I went with that size. My other option would be to build it out of wood and cover the frame with a tarp but I really don't want to go that route.

Probably requires a building permit as well as it would likely be labeled a permanent structure. There is a guy on the Pat Bay highway just south of Elk Lake by the Animal Shelter that sells metal awning structures. Likely more expensive but will likely weather better.

If you're thinking about a fabric structure, why not just get a boat cover? They keep the rain and crud off the boat and can be custom made to fit. I got one made of sunbrella a couple of years ago from boatcovers.com that was made to fit my exact model. Large enough that I could keep the bimini up and still cover the bow and stern with enough room to work under the cover if required. I think it cost about $350 plus shipping.

TenMile
<'((((><

Even though its not fitted I did buy a heavy duty tarp that I keep the boat covered with and it does a good job but makes it hard to work on anything. I would rather be able to walk inside of a sheltered area, turn on some heat, turn on some tunes and work on things from polishing to painting, not to mention its also a good place to go to have a beer and a smoke with the guys.

fish.gif

Let me know if you find anything reasonably priced that works Sea Ranger.
I had the Capital Iron Shelter. Snow destroyed it even though I did my best to keep it clear. Snow and wind also destroyed 2 similar shelters at my father inlaws and 1 at my buddy's place.
Metal shelter would be great but the guy on Pat Bay quoted starting prices at $4,000.
I looked into this hard this fall and came up with nothing. Luckily it has been a mild winter. Boat is in the carport and trailer is tarped beside the house.
I'm still looking for options.

Tips

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

Probably requires a building permit as well as it would likely be labeled a permanent structure. There is a guy on the Pat Bay highway just south of Elk Lake by the Animal Shelter that sells metal awning structures. Likely more expensive but will likely weather better.

If you're thinking about a fabric structure, why not just get a boat cover? They keep the rain and crud off the boat and can be custom made to fit. I got one made of sunbrella a couple of years ago from boatcovers.com that was made to fit my exact model. Large enough that I could keep the bimini up and still cover the bow and stern with enough room to work under the cover if required. I think it cost about $350 plus shipping.

TenMile
<'((((><

A fellow on the Nanoose hill north of Nanaimo sells the rigid shelters as well.One of the guys from work was going to check out his prices.It's going to be more than a Can Tire shelter but they look pretty durable with regards to snow load.
Dave

I have a Costco tent in which I have a small river boat and my neighbor in Terrace called me yesterday and said the snowfall had collapsed it.:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Cheers All,

I needed to get my boats out of the elements so I had my friend (owns a construction company) put up a wood frame with a tarp. The thing was bullet proof (could walk on the trusses) and it stood up under everything. However, I came home one day to a notice from Regional District to contact them as a Permit For Construction had not been issued. I contacted them and they insisted I had 60 days to remove the structure. They would allow a Temporary Structure - such as sold by Canadian Tire or Capital Iron but not one made out of wood at home. Strange thing as, the very next snow storm, the neighbour's Temporary Structure (from Tool Warehouse) came down while mine never even moved - until I took it down to comply with RDN. So, be careful of your codes or you could have a notice stapled to your structure from an ambitious inspector.

There was one good to come out of this. My friend felt so bad about the notice that, when I purchased the materials, he put up a four boat garage for my 'toys' at no cost. I now know the feeling of being able to go to the garage, turn on the lights, tunes and heat and working through the biggest storm on the boat while dreaming of the next great day on the water.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

A fellow on the Nanoose hill north of Nanaimo sells the rigid shelters as well.One of the guys from work was going to check out his prices.It's going to be more than a Can Tire shelter but they look pretty durable with regards to snow load.
Dave

Did anyone find out pricing from fellow on the hill in Nanoose?
[8D]

I don't think that anyone has yet.I can get the number next time I'm heading north but I'm stuck working in Victoria for the next couple of weeks so it might be a while.If any of our crew heads north I'll ask them to write the number down and I'll post it here.
Dave

Thanks-I can dig the number up-Just wondering if anyone talked to him yet?
I'll call him next week once I get the number and see what he can do-Will let you know
[8D]

Why not talk to your local building inspector and see if you can put up a "pole" building. www.easybuildings.com dont know if it would work for you. My brother had the crappie tire shelter for his motor home, snow killed it, waste of money. Dan

I bought the portable "garage" at Costco a couple of years ago.... around $230.00 IIRC...

Works great, bow does stick out but all I want covered is covered! Worked well with all the snow last year, you do need to knock the snow off once in awhile but to me that is a small price to pay for a good shelter that is inexpensive....:D.... it wasn't high enough to slip the boat under so I used so 8x8 which raised it enough and works as an anchor too!

Mike

Hey Mike, Are you saying that you laid the 8x8's on their side so you rasied it a total of 8 inches? Does yours come with a front and back door or just front? What is the cover like? Sorry for so many questions.... Steve.

fish.gif

I have a cost-co shelter and used it for 3 years and knock the snow off during the winter. It works but I would prefer something a little more beefy. The shelter in your photo is stronger the the cost-co shelters, they have them at the tarp shop in Duncan on the right side of the highway as you cross over the silver bridge. The guys there say they can handle a snow load. They are higher and have thicker metal tubes and more supporting structure. Another guy was looking at them and he was purchasing it and adding some more tubes at the roof area so snow coud not gather.

Google Cover-Tech shelters in Nova Scotia.Awsome shelters but they cost.I have one and very impressed with the quality.The snow just slides right off.

Sorry for the delay SeaRanger!

Yes, I raised it the 8" and with my Thunder jet I just touch the top where it folds over on the front. Works great for me and with it beside the house it is somewhat protected! The bow does stick out since the boat is roughly 22 feet with the swim grid (26' from tip of tongue to back of kicker)... it came with the front door and back wall, so with the length the front door isn't used and due to a lot of easterly winds here in Aldergrove, I have to bottom 3-4' of the back wall folded up so it doesn't act like a big wind sock..... works damn slick for the $$$$.... Wouldn't hesitate to do it again unless I had a nice heated shop built for it and my expanding gear....:D

Costco shelter frame and a 3/8 ply roof with 1x4 every 2' flat, not on edge. Roof is covered in Silfoil, ie used hay bale material, black side out. Sides are blue tarp. Four 2x4's go in as posts before the snows hit. Three Sayward winters and it is still standing.
I have never knocked the snow off of it.

What is a building regulation ? :D

Its that time a year again I have an awesome domed portable heavy duty boat shelter but the height is not high enough with new boat. I am looking for some clever idea to make at least 2 feet more on height of it... It already is already bolted to heavy cement pads...Just looking to see what has been done. The alternative is to sell and buy a different one which I would rather not do.

Back