Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

Lets get two threads going swiftsure bank reports and port renfrew reports because the two are VERY different.

Hate reading about how salmon and hali are on fire to head up and realize that is only for those who travel offshore and for everyone else it's spotty at best.

Small town politics...Can't we all just live in peace...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing but I feel like starting a rumour anyways.

I'm sure it has to do with money. They will say it's about pollution in the estuary, boat wakes past their docks, loud campers at night, increased traffic through the reserve etc. etc. etc. but it all comes down to wanting more money out of the marina and those costs of course will be passed on to the rest of us.

I'm heading out from the gravel Indian Ramp early Saturday morning. Has anyone used it this year? Is it in reasonable shape? Has anyone been fishing in the last few days....if yes how was it?

traveller

Thanks Optimist, I will give it a try. At the moment the US forecast for Juan DeFuca entrance is light winds for Saturday...It has been suggested to me all I need to do for Hali's is go out off Camper to the 150m ft depth and use bait on a spreader bar....sound right?

Your best bet if your boat is big enough and weather permitting would be Bonilla pt 140ft of water, the carmanah bump at 120 ft should work just fine ,,

Many thanks, really appreciate the advice. We will do that weather permitting, although the forecast looks good at the moment...of course we know how that can change!

We just got back home, and thanks to Optimist had a great trip, well sort of....went straight to Bonilla, located the 140 ft. shelf, and put down the salmon bellies....three really good bites and misses, then a nice 40 lb. halibut! Listening to the radio halibut were not plentiful, but we sure had chances and one nice one. No anchoring, just drifting. Salmon were not showing up at all....many had none, or some small ones....we did not hit one. South Winds came up at 10:30 AM and made the fishing at Bonilla uncomfortable, to say the least.

Paul

Good to see that someone got out and got some fishing in. I was out all week with the family to open up the cabin but didn't put the boat in. A few flat days out there last week though. On a side note........I just paid my moorage for the new Pacific Gateway Marina in the bay. The developers just sent out an e-mail looking for a gas jockey for this summer if anyone knows someone that might be interested. Now back to the fishing! Cheers!

Greg

Fishing is steady, Salmon fishing is great when you find them and Halibut fishing outstanding... Cheers

FaceBook Hindsightfishing for pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Back