PORT HARDY TO TOFINO BY BOAT

terjohn

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS TRIP VIA CAPE SCOTT, I THINK IT WOULD BE A INTERESTING TRIP !
FISHING AND SIGHT SEEING, WILL BE IN NO HURRY SO CAN WAIT OUT ANY BAD WEATHER IF NEEDED.
THANKS

not sure but its do able
limiting thing is fuel and shelter.... going around the top of the island
from hardy next point of call may be winter harbor not sure if there is any place in between.

or you could pull at hardy and drive to coal and run out through the inlet by winter then turn left and head to Tofino

Man I’m jealous. I hope you can figure out the logistics cuz it sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

I haven't done that trip but a friend of mine circumnavigated the entire island in 2013 in a 22' C-Dory. His blog about that trip starts here. Reading his blog about the Port Hardy to Tofino section will tell you much of what you need to know.

Hardy to Winter Harbour isn’t bad if you pick your days. Bull Harbour is a good spot to wait things out before running the bar and Scott Channel. Avoid big swell and ebbs in that section.

The North West Grady White club did it a few years ago. Talked to some of the members on the dock in Winter Harbour. They wrote up their account of navigating around Vancouver Island and posted the story on a website. Should be able to find it with google.

They went from Port Hardy to Winter Harbour via Cape Scott. Next stop after WH they told me would be Walters Cove.

Always make sure you have a waterproof locator satellite beacon, sat phone, survival suite, first aid and enough food and water, etc etc etc in case you get broke down in remote spots without help around. Chart you trip well in advance and mark the fuel and moorage spots and don't travel in risky weather and you should be fine.
I have had much better success with BuoyWeather being accurate over the gov marine forecasts. Some times the gov forecast was off so badly last year it was completely opposite of the actual wind/weather we were getting on our trips.

Great trip. Always better to be heading east down outside of Vancouver Island to run with prevailing SW swell and westerly winds in summer. Enjoy.

Stop into Rodgers Fishing Lodge in Port Eliza Inlet for fuel, shower and a good meal. We are the first inlet on the left as you transit into Esperanza Inlet.

Back