Port Hardy Reports

After living in BC for a summer it was time to take the whole family out on the ocean. They all wanted to come after seeing our pics from last year. Wasn't sure how everyone would manage on my 16 foot Spectrum and it didn't take long for my brother to convince me I needed a bigger boat. So, I had to get a bigger boat to fit everyone. Turns out I'm a little under powered with only a 150, although on a calm day we were still going 28 mph.

We booked back in April but it was still hard to get our days all at the same place. So we ended up staying at North Coast Cottages for the first half and Bear Cove for the second half. I worked the weekend day, night, day shift then rushed home to pack up and catch the 5:45 pm Ferry to Duke Point from Tsawwassen. After we hit the island we made the four hour journey up to Port Hardy and arrived at 2AM. The people below our cabin complained about us partying and drinking the next day. Sorry, we just arrived late. No partying going on for us.

First day at port hardy caught 4 beauty wild coho a nice ling and rockfish. Also got up close and personal with a pod of 20+ killer whales. What a day on the ocean for getting out at 1 pm after arriving at 2am.

Day 2 my Brother and Dad got up earlier and took off to Castle, made a few passes and didn't see any hookups of the 14 or so boats there. So we pulled up and headed to Jeanette. Soon after arriving hooked up on something good, but drifted in and snagged my lead and it broke off. I was upset but still fighting the fish when it all of a sudden broke off too. Lost the flasher and all. An expensive loss probably over 100 bucks. Tip, always bring spare lead and lots of flashers, haha. From that point on the fishing went wide open. Wild Northern coho one after another and landed... or gaff released by the boat rather till we had to go back in around 11 am to pick up the rest of the family and drop my Brother off to go enjoy his first wedding anniversary with his wife.

That afternoon went out with the remaining family and we were nailing the salmon around Duval, put a few hatchery Coho in the box. Stopped by a hump and nailed a beautiful Yelloweye. Then headed back to Jeanette where we picked up a big hatchery coho and a nice chinook. On the way back to the dock at 9 PM we were driving into Hardy Bay when a bunch of salmon jumped infront of us. We stopped and dropped the balls, before I had my rig ready by dad was hauling in another beauty marked Coho. Then we headed to the dock before dark.

Day #3 was seriously a blow out. I'm amazed Serengeti was out and still doing well because around Hardy bay it sucked. Went out early with my dad and picked up one hatchery coho, long line released a few then it died. Wind picked up big time and we just did some fishing around the bay when my brother and sister in law returned for some shakers and sub legal chinook. Called it a write off and headed to town to pick up some supplies and food.

Day #4 Our goal was to find Chinook and after three days of only catching one legal we decided to go in search. We reviewed Navionics and decided on a location. Headed out early am to the spot and as we neared, it appeared we had picked a good location as many charter boats were there as well.

The wind was blowing, swell was growing, fog was thick, competing with guides for the mighty chinook salmon and we did what we came here to do. Double header insanity for my dad and I. Running around the boat, switching rod over and under each other. Then miss netting mine three times and finally the net bent. Luckily the fish was still on and my other brother came in for the clutch net job with a backup net. One landed. Now my dad was still working on his and we finally got it to the boat and another stellar net job by my youngest brother. Two tanks as far as I'm concerned. We were super pumped. I wanted my brother Dallas to catch one so we kept pounding the rock pass by pass until he hooked up. Lines zinging straight for the shore and kelp. Luckily she came out and landed another beauty after a great fight. We tried several more passes to catch my other brother one and sister inlaw, but the wind was picking up and fog rolled in. We were a little worried about the wind warnings on Environment Canada so headed back to Jeanette where we got a few more nice coho so that the others could have some action. It got so windy that we really couldn't fish in the afternoon so another short day.

Day # 5 went out early and caught a Chinook out at Castle then headed to Jeanette but it was dead. Stopped to bottom fish and picked up a ling and a quilback before heading back to check out.

Went out for a couple hours before leaving to the ferry and we hooked something very memorable.
The hook that Dallas snagged and lost on Monday, he hooked by accident on Friday in the middle of the Queen Charlotte Straight in over 200 feet of water and we were able to break it free and retrieve both.... Seriously what are the chances!!!

It was a great trip up to port hardy with the whole family. Tried a lot of spots, burned a bunch or gas and caught a bunch of fish. What a blast and what more could we ask for! Oh yeah less wind next time. Didn't do as hot on the bottom fish this year but caught a few. We were focused more on catching chinook. Hooked a lot of wild coho and some hatchery fish to keep. I love it up there and can't wait to get back!

Day #0-1

Day #5 was too rushed, had to go fishing, get back, check out, go fishing with the rest of the gang and then drive 4 hours to the ferry…. So no pics were taken but we got a nice Chinook, Lingcod, Coho and a Quillback rockfish.

And we saw a humpback whale showing us his tail feathers a few times.
spot the whale... didn't get any of the tail unfortunately.

Great write up Doc, I love Hardy, maybe my fav spot on the Island for fishing/ wildlife. Saw Orcas and Humpbacks up close 7 days in a row when we were there in July.

This was from out trip in August that I put the report up prior. Even though people claimed this was a tough summer we still had an amazing time out there on the ocean. This goes to show that studying charts, online resources and Chinook Salmon behavior goes a long way to you actually hooking up on some of these Fish. We fished 4 inch Gibbs Delta spoons in green white and glow patterns for the majority of the time coated with Mike's Herring Scent behind Gibbs Delta Lemon Lime Flashers. This is how we get them!

Back