Port Hardy Reports

Just out of interest, does this area always get a large run of pinks? Farther south, we only see large runs on odd number years.

We get larger Fraser river pinks in odd years and smaller local "mainland" river pinks in even years such as 2014.

Those tests are probably the peak of the early run which would be be late. Makes you wonder if the big run is going to be late or coming at all. Over the years every time DFO predicted a huge run it was a bust. Wouldn't surprise me if it happens again. I hope I am wrong :)

Fished the Hardy area from the 19th to 26th and it was decent. We did well and got our limits of Coho at Castle point with some around 9-10lbs. There were a few springs at Duvall but one had to put time in. We did so-so on smaller halibut and lost a couple nice ones and landed a very large Skate 100-150lbs at the airport. Had dolphins cut a line and steal the gear to add to the excitement. We didn't have the boat to run farther north to Sutil, but the guides seemed to be headed that direction every morning. All in All a decent trip!

Where is the "wall" located? With all the pinks would bait be worth trying? What bait is abundant right now? I will be at Alder bay this weekend can't wait.

There were an unbelievable number of pinks around the Hardy area. Some places were unfishable with bait because of them. You literally couldn't get the downrigger down 50feet without having one on around daphne point and the mastermans.

the wall

Where is the "wall" located? With all the pinks would bait be worth trying? What bait is abundant right now? I will be at Alder bay this weekend can't wait.

the "Wall" is located across from Cracroft point. It is literally a wall you fish tight against on flood tide. We used bait for the first couple of hours in the morning till the pinks get active, then switched to hoochies and spoons.

The wall would be the sharp drop off on the Johnstone strait side of Hanson island (Licka point ) Or toward parson island?

Here is The Wall. Only fish it on the flood, the bait gets pushed up into the rocks (you can see the current in the GE picture). But you have to watch the water there, if you are too far our, you will get sucked out further and move way too fast. At the top end, there is a reef that come up, so watch that, but that is where some of the fish sit, waiting for the bait to come over the reef. Also fish the shallower back eddy as sometime the fish lie in there. That area needs to have the rule of "Right to the beach" followed as if you don't, it will become a big mess there. Once you hit a fish, pull it out in the current and hang on. Don't fight the fish in the fishing areas as you will loose it to someone cutting it off. Fish 45-60 feet to start and fish tight to the rocks. I carried a small trout rod with a 2.5" silver spoon and would nail the odd coho right of the rocks as they slashed through the bait there, plus you will pick up some nice greenling and black bass as well.

As for the pinks, stop fishing bait and flashers and switch to a 5" or 6" plug or spoon or a 5" purple haze hootchie with flasher.. If there are springs or coho around, they will hit it. At this time of year, the Nimpkish springs will be showing up, so the Malcolm Pt, Lady Ellen and Ledge Pt will be the best bets for springs. Some will be big, 40 lbs are common.

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
fishing was not to bad over the weekend. some springs, nice size coho and sockeyes around duval and hali's out on the bank. of course there were pinks everywhere by the barrel full.
one thing though I wish people would be polite enough to go around rather than run through the boats fishing at duval when headed north. I,m sure the extra 2 or 3 minutes wont kill you.

watching the troll fleet fishing socks about 5 miles outside of the bay. lots of sporties out yesterday but weather came up and cleared them out. put the new boat in as everyone was coming out and did a pretty good run. that old girl does not mind wind. got riggers on today so off tomorrow to see what it will catch.

So I talked with a buddy today. he was out at duval. I told he I was catching coho on the other side on sunday. he thought I was there then so he ran over .... cleaned up on springs including a 44 lb'er.

Back