Port Alberni Marina needs our help ...

Islandgirl

Long story made short...the FN's want to build an interpretive center right where the MARINA IS NOW (clutsiehaven) This letter is from a friend of mine.

I am sending you the emails for the Port authority to be submitted to the board of the Port authority. It would be great to send a letter from an out of town perspective on how you think this center will disrupt the marina and possibly lose out on revenues from out of town fisherman and boaters. It might help if you expressed your opinion that you may go elsewhere to fish if there is too much disruption and traffic problems at Clutesi haven marina. Parking is also an issue, as we will lose some onsight parking. The natives have proposed additional parking on their other properties behind the greenwood, and a pay shuttle service for fisherman and tourists as there will be quite a distance to walk to the ramp after parking your vehicle. With this plan, the roundabout road access to the marina office, moored tenants ramp/gas dock, and cleaning station will no longer be in place, and you will have to park and walk to bring fish to the cleaning station or drop supplies off to your moored boat at the gas dock. This center will also infringe on the launch, and the launch will infringe on the new parking spaces made. You can imagine how much land alone an 11,000 sq ft building will take up on our waterfront and greenspace as it stretches the entire waterfront to the launch, not to mention the landscaping etc. There will be shuttle buses and tourist buses also adding to the mix that will be turning off river rd to access this center. Any ways, there are lots to consider. We just feel it will deplete the functionability, and maneuverability at the marina, and add more stress to an already stressed marina. The old office building is coming down and being replaced, and the Port Authority had plans last year to expand there new building to include leased out spaces for a possible eatery, tackle shop, and marine retail on the premises. These plans are now in the tank because the city suggested to the Port authority behind closed doors to scrap those ideas and allow the natives to build this center and take over a portion of the port authorities leased out space on the land. The whole town is pissed off about this. I will also add that china creek is no longer serving gas right now, so there is even more added stress to the marina as it is the only gas available on the inlet now. We feel this center may reduce revenues that are created by the sports fishing tourism locally and regionally which are in the millions. The sports fisherman and users of the marina, are fighting this proposal tooth and nail. We need help! We just want the natives to build their new center ACROSS the street on the small ballfield the city wants to get rid of and leave the marina for the purpose the marina was meant for. The fishing and boating industry and future expansion for marine services that are vitally needed. It is also being suggested that the salmon festival will cease if this deal goes through as there is not enough room with this center and a new Port Authority building on the property.

Send your e-mails to bfilipchuk.papa@telus.net and ask her to pass them onto the board. Also send them to bmadelung.papa@telus.net and Russell_Dyson@portalberni.ca to pass onto city council

Here is a sample letter because I know we don't have time to write our own...

Port Alberni City Council
4850 Argyle Street
Port Alberni BC
V9Y 1V8
c/o Russel Dyson
RusselDyson@portalberni.ca

Sir /Madam

re:port Alberni --Hupacasath Transformation Centre Proposal

This project was initially proposed to be located on Victoria Quay and was seemingly accepted by the Community.

Space constraints have proved the initially proposed site to be inadequate for the current Hupasath project proposal.

An alternative siting in the midst of the existing Clutsi Marina is now being pursued by the Hupacasath.

This alternative site is raising Community concerns alleging the following:

1/ The Marina site was not in the original proposal for the Transformation Centre.

2/ The possible re-siting to the Marina will impact severely upon the current operation of the Marina.(parking, maneuvering,traffic flow, increased waiting times to launch and recover etc).

3/ The possible re-siting will preclude improvement/expansion of the Current Marina facilities.

4/ The building of the Centre at the Marina will force the closure of a private business currently on site at the Marina.

5/ The siting of the Centre in the Marina will negatively impact the retailers, maintenance shops, boat sellers and equipment dealers currently supporting and benefitting from the local fishing/boating industry as local users and tourists venture elsewhere because of reduced facilities.

The current public support has been greatly diminished, as noted above, by the proposed change in siting and the location itself which is not without peril.

In consideration of the above listed concerns, I request that Project Proposal for the Clutisi Marina Site denied by Council.

respectfully yours,
(name)
-------------------
(city)

And another template letter that is being circulated:

Mr. Bob Kanngiesser, Chairman
Board of Directors
Port Alberni Port Authority
2750 Harbour Road
Port Alberni, B.C., V9Y 1X2

Dear Mr. Kanngiesser and Board Members:

I’m strongly opposed to the Hupacasath tranformation center being located at the Clutesi Haven Marina.

At that location irreparable damage will be done to the sports-fishing industry, boat-ramp users (including commercial fish boats), and our annual Salmon Festival.

Visitation to any interpretive centre at Clutesi can not make up the damage for the loss of tourism dollars that comes from sports fishing there in the summer, for the interference with on-site parking and vehicular movement, for road access to the fish-cleaning station, and for the traffic chaos that could ensue at peak times, both on site and on River Road.

I believe there are other viable locations for the Hupacasath project and urge you to reverse your approval-in-principle for it.

Yours sincerely,

Yes, this is a very controversial issue in town. Not only 11,000 square feet, the proposed development structure is scheduled to stand in excess of 65 FEET TALL! This will have a huge footprint if allowed to proceed, and we can and do foresee a whole world of problems that will be associated.

Personally I am strongly against this initiative. There are much better sites that could be considered that would not interfere with the daily functions of an already extremely busy marina! The old smoke-house site comes to mind - and what a bloody mess that still is! Eyesore doesn't begin to describe it - Really! So, if they were to consider that site, it would not only remove the eyesore, it would also negate much of the controversy associated with the development. 2 Birds One Stone kinda thing.

Final note for now on this one: I am not all that surprised at just how low some are prepared to go in their blind support of this deal. The "Race Card" has been played a tad too often in this regard. Just because a lot of folks are opposed to the development, that DOES NOT make them anti-FN! GET A GRIP!!![B)]

My letter has gone, and I will be attending the related Community Meeting next week. If you used our marina services in the past, or intend to do so in the future, I'd suggest it might be worth a few moments of your time to let them know your thoughts. Otherwise, you WILL be spending a LOT more time down the road simply trying to navigate the Horror Story the marina will become...[V]

Cheers,
Nog

Thans Nog,
2 letters from this house going out Monday am!

Island Girl, do you have the e-mail address for Bob Kanngiesser? I will be sending letters. Last thing I want to see is our parking lot ruined by this development. If the Port allows this to go through we should be demanding a discount on our moorage fees which have been going up every year. Tx

Here is a copy of the letter sent to Mayor and Council today. I hope others will take the time to write in.

Mayor and Council, City of Port Alberni
C/O Mr, Russel Dyson,
4850 Argyle Street
Port Alberni BC
V9Y 1V8

Sent via e-mail

Re: Hupacasath Transformation Centre Proposal

Mayor and Council,

We are writing regarding the Hupacasath Transformation Centre Proposal for the Clutesi Haven Marina. We have owned and operated a fishing charter operation from the Clutesi Haven Marina for several years.

Each year our operation attracts many visitors to Port Alberni, where they contribute to the local economy. Part of the attraction to Port Alberni is the ease and convenience the Clutesi Haven Marina affords our customers who are able to park their vehicles at the Marina while out on the water enjoying their fishing adventure.

We are deeply concerned that this proposal will without question severely impact the available parking for our customers thereby reducing the attraction and competitive advantage Clutesi Haven Marina offers over other locations such as Bamfield where we also operate.

We do not oppose the construction of the Hupacasath Transformation Centre, however we strongly urge Council to reject this proposal for Clutesi Haven Marina. In the alternative, we implore Council to explore alternative sites for the construction to avoid the negative economic impact this current proposal will have if approved.

Sincerely,

Pat Ahern
Last Cast Guiding

All my letters are sent. The one to B. Kanngeisser will be via snail mail.. IF anyone has his email addy PLEASE POST!

I aint touching this one with a 10 ft pole!

Take only what you need.

Hey F/A
No one can call me racist..My main fishing partener in Port Alberni is a Status Native (with a sportfishing lic.) on my boat and I am very happy to have someone on my boat that shares my enthusiasm and LOVE of fishing.
I just believe there are better places to build rather than ruin a marina that already has parking issues. Playing the 'racist card' does not work with me. We both know there are better sites to build than a marina parking lot.

I never said it was anything racist. I just feel for both parties involved here. I can relate to the short history of the Marina, I have enjoyed time there too! But I can also relate to the F/N, that would be the most ideal spot for their project to attract visitors. I think it has been pretty nice of them to allow us sport fishermen to park on their property for years and never chargeing a dime to do so. If it comes down to a few parking spots.. Who cares? They are willing to provide parking in the field still!! Imagine if they said no, no parking here this year, we would be parking and walking back there from the big bridge!!!!!!

quote:Status Native (with a sportfishing lic.)
Now that is some funny shi+!! Tell him to email me at whalerlover@yahoo.ca I might be able to straighten him out.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

... But I can also relate to the F/N, that would be the most ideal spot for their project to attract visitors. I think it has been pretty nice of them to allow us sport fishermen to park on their property for years and never chargeing a dime to do so.

Might have had a point here, IF</u> the land in question actually did belong to them. It doesn't. Actually belonging to the Harbour Commission. They, in cahoots with the Band in question (and to some extent the City Council) made the decision to "lease" the marina site to them for one dollar a year.

quote:If it comes down to a few parking spots.. Who cares?

Apparently a whole lot of Folks who use the marina, and of course the now endangered Salmon Festival. There is a serious movement underway fighting the proposition, more coming along every day. Methinks it should be of interest amongst those here who use the facility, and would hope that at least a couple make their position in this regard known...

quote:They are willing to provide parking in the field still!!

Ummm... they don't own the overflow area either....

Bottom Line: The Marina will and does have a much greater economic input to this Community than the proposed center ever possibly could. That benefits both sides in this controversy. The proposed development will have an enormous impact on marina operations, to the point of rendering it nearly useless. It will also completely dominate the waterfront skyline (1100 square feet and 65 feet plus in height). With the downtrend in our economy, we should be actively supporting those few that still support the area, not looking for methods to inhibit their continued productivity. And finally, there are close sites that the Band does own that would be MUCH</u> more suitable (at least one the local town eyesore at this point) and not interfere with an already overly crowded working marina.

I encourage any that use our local facility to send in their concerns ASAP. Otherwise, you are implying support for this monstrosity by doing nothing.

Nog

quote:the now endangered Salmon Festival

NOW endangered? I hear every year that's it's going to be the last one.

quote:Might have had a point here, IF the land in question actually did belong to them. It doesn't. Actually belonging to the Harbour Commission. They, in cahoots with the Band in question (and to some extent the City Council) made the decision to "lease" the marina site to them for one dollar a year.

That's NOT the land I'm talking about. I'm talking about the land that surrounds their Hall, Where we park our boat trailers during Salmon festival, is that not theirs?

I don't really see the problem here at all, as they have even stated they would be willing to facilitate the salmon festival with use of the new building. People have to make sure their feelings are actually justified rather than just disagreeing based on who is going to be doing the development. If it was Sport Fishermen building a huge marine discount store there at that location I doubt you'd have a problem with it. IMHO.

Take only what you need.

Here's one for support of the building.

Mr. Bob Kanngiesser, Chairman
Board of Directors
Port Alberni Port Authority
2750 Harbour Road
Port Alberni, B.C., V9Y 1X2

Dear Mr. Kanngiesser and Board Members:

I write to you in support of the Hupacasath Transformation Centre Proposal for the Clutesi Haven Marina. It is my understanding that the Hupacasath First Nation is willing to grant use of their proposed building to encourage the long standing tradition of the Port Alberni Salmon Festival. Although the struggles of the Salmon Festival in recent years has one wondering every year if it is the last, I still support the Salmon Festival, but would use the facility regardless of weather the festival took place or not.

I do fully support the position of the Port Alberni Harbor Authority on this proposal and look forward to visiting the new building once it is complete.

Sincerely,

Take only what you need.

The marina parking and space is already taxed to the max. It will not do their Native Center any good when tourists no longer visit for fishing.. quite simply.......... if I can go to say alder bay resort or Pt hardy and launch without any issues that is where I will be going to spend my fishing $$ and PA will suffer. Nothing against PA but launching everyday as most do there one needs a good facility and this building will not enhance the marina.

FA, give your head a shake. There is a perfectly good site just down the road at the Mill where they land their helicopters. The proposal for Clutesi would ruin the parking and access. This would be even worse during the construction phase...boy, I can't wait to see the look on your face when you try to get your boat in the water during all that mess. Careful what you wish for!

Oh did you also know that you will have to clean your fish over at the park where you park your boat trailer? Yep, that's the proposed relocation site for the table....get the facts before you act. I have a fish cleaning station on my boat so I don't care what happens to the cleaning table, but I suspect you might.

[:0]

I also clean my fish onboard, it doesn't matter to me, if I can't launch there I'll go to china creek. They should at least pave the road all the way out there!

Like I said I really didn't want to get in to this thread, so I'll just chalk it up to YHBT.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

...Like I said I really didn't want to get in to this thread...

Ahhh but you did, and went so far as to fire off a letter in support for something you obviously know but little about. In a way I should thank you I guess. It was your</u> actions that made up my mind just how far to publicize this little fiasco that is occurring in our back yard. So, I am now in the process of distributing this situation to ALL of my clients, all of those who have come to fish here with me in the past, and a public posting on those sites that don't already have that. I'd guess your letter of support will now be countered by several hundred with an opposite opinion. Good Job - in a round-about way...[B)]

Cheers,
Nog

The Plot Thickens...

Notice of Opposition from Tseshaht First Nations Community

This Notice is being posted to advise Chief Judith Sayers, the City of Port Alberni Mayor and Council, the Port Authority and the ICET funding sources that members of the Tseshaht First Nations have the full intent to occupy the proposed Hupacasath development site of the Transformation Center at the Clutesi Marina should any steps be taken to dig upon our lands by Hupacasath.

This land is within the Tseshaht First Nations Traditional Territory and the continued attempted theft of our lands by Chief Judy Sayers will not be tolerated any longer by Tseshaht First Nations members.

We have had enough Judy Sayers of your disrespecting our elders, your refusal to enter into good faith discussions with our elected Chief and Council, and your continued disregard for the blood and bones of our ancestors ends here.

We have had enough and this is where it ends.

To all those people in Port Alberni that are being ignored and displaced by the actions of Chief Sayers and those who support her agenda to take control of the waterfront for her own demonstrably selfish agenda your support will be welcome should the time come for us to physically occupy the Marina to prevent this construction from taking place.

We, as Tseshaht First Nations members, believe our Band has demonstrated our willingness to work with the citizens of Port Alberni by employing Port Alberni residents and businesses in the construction projects our Band Council has undertaken.

We hope that the trust has been built for those who also oppose this proposed project by Hupacasath to know that Tseshaht is a willing partner to work for the betterment of the entire valley and do not seek to displace people from our traditional territories.

Chief Sayers, we have had enough and it ends here.

Damn tough for them to scream racial overtones on this response methinks...

Cheers,
Nog

Here is an update from a friend of mine.....

"We have formed a delegation, Tyee club, Salmon fest, sports fishing advisory, Kiwanis, marina tenants, users, charter outfits, and a bunch of others. This town is ready to explode over this deal. Fish assasin talks about going to china crk...THATS funny as the Port authority hasnt found a manager yet for the marina, and their is no fuel there. This is a really shady deal that was cooked up for 2 yrs when it was originally govt funded, supported and proposed for the Victoria quay site, where the band statues are . Two yrs behind closed doors at city hall, they secretly changed the location to the marina without consulting with any stakeholders or paying tenants. This center disrupts the entire functions of the marina and the fisherman and paying tenants come in 2nd here. The ONLY reason this is out in the open is because people started hearing rumors and so contacted city counsellors, who made the city get it out in the open. The Tseshaht band is madder than hatters over this deal as it is traditionally their land and they are also fisherman too that have seen the site plan just as we all have and it is a crazy place to put it, when they could put it across the street in the for sale ballfield. They are also pissed off because of the lack of consultation with them. "Clutesi" was a tseshat member of their tribe. A very distinguished one. The tseshaht do not wish to displace anyone in our community from the marina, but as a last resort, they will occupy the site, and they have the full support of the boating comunity and the community at large to stop this thing. Their are businesses that are willing to pull the pin on port Alberni if this goes through. The sports fishing tourism brings in millions of guaranteed dollars for the last 50 yrs. This center would sit mostly idle for months of the year, and disrupt everything at the marina. The Port authority was pressured into this. Because of the stringent funding guidelines where you cant displace an existing business the deli at the marina (Petes mountain meats) is out the door. They cant have a for profit business on the site. This center also prevents the port authorities revious plans they had to bring a tackle shop, restaurant, and marine retail into their new building. So it disrupts a whole lotta things at the marina for a center that wont generate the revenue the 3 day salmon fest does, into Port Alberni. Whew! Now you have a little heads up why this is so important. Theres more, but i cant type it all out :) Thanks for your support. BTW you will have to walk 3 blocks to the ramp, and the marina moorers have no direct access to the docks, and their is no direct access to the cleaning station, so you will have to lug all your fish to the weigh in and cleaning. The under ground fuel tanks are another problem all together, that they want to re-locate next to the high way on river rd."

Back