Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

I did see the float when I pulled up,but didn't see your boat.So I guess we are allowed to hold spots?Drop anchor and a bouy,take off for a while ?I've been going to that spot for 10 years and have never seen a unattened float there before,maybe you should have come along side and explained what happened "morron"?

Man, if you guys think you have it bad up here come on down and fish a marlin tournament in Cabo this fall. You'll stop all this bitching and complaining about getting "crowded" out of a halibut spot in no time. Seriously, all this "i've fished this spot for XXX # of years" and "this guy snaked my spot" bla bla bla. Sounds pretty silly. You guys don't know how good you have it!

Or maybe a Tarpon tourney in Florida!

I would have to agree. Tends to be a rather laid back fishing experience, mind you, they are always catching fish...

Last edited by a moderator:
We need details. Size, salmon or halibut, chocolate or homogenized.

Salmon 15 to 22 pounds. Halibut 22, 37, 40 and 42 pounds. Trolling anchovie and spoons on bottom. Threw back quite a few Salmon only kept the ones that were badly hooked or bleeding. Also lost the biggest Salmon we had on to a Sea Lion.
Sea was calm and hardly more than a ripple.

Just spent Friday and Saturday fishing outside Uculet. Sea was like a milk pond and fishing was awesome.

Where were you fishing on Saturday? We were 12-14 miles out off of Beal and it certainly was no mill (milk) pond. The wind was blowing like a bugger straight out Juanda Fuca Straights and seas started out at about 1 meter at 9:30-10:00 and built to 1.5 to almost 2 meters breaking by the time we pulled the plug at 12:30 to head back in. We caught nothing out there. Marked some bait (lots of birds around too) but little to no fish present, came inside across from Bamfield and only picked up a few rockfish, no salmon:(. Ran into a friend out there, and he got skunked for his half days efforts. Sounds like the fish were following you around:p. It's always nice when you have a good weekend out there.

Cheers.

J man I keep waiting for you to give a report of big flatties and bucket heads filling the tub.
One of these days I guess!

J man I keep waiting for you to give a report of big flatties and bucket heads filling the tub.
One of these days I guess!
You and me both;)! I've got a brand new harpoon head that needs to get some blood and guts on it:D. Soon. By law of averages it's gotta happen soooon! It will be nice when the weather (wind/waves) cooperates a bit more too.

Where were you fishing on Saturday? We were 12-14 miles out off of Beal and it certainly was no mill (milk) pond. The wind was blowing like a bugger straight out Juanda Fuca Straights and seas started out at about 1 meter at 9:30-10:00 and built to 1.5 to almost 2 meters breaking by the time we pulled the plug at 12:30 to head back in. We caught nothing out there. Marked some bait (lots of birds around too) but little to no fish present, came inside across from Bamfield and only picked up a few rockfish, no salmon:(. Ran into a friend out there, and he got skunked for his half days efforts. Sounds like the fish were following you around:p. It's always nice when you have a good weekend out there.

Cheers.

South Bank. Actually had some friends out with one of the Lodges from Bamfield and they fished Beale on Friday. Then the Rats Nose on Saturday and caught very little. They came over to where we were and limited out on Salmon. I'm not sure if they caught any Halibut as we left and they were still fishing for them.

We had 2 boats and a bunch of kids out for Friday evening and Saturday morning. Both crews fished Vernon bay and it was on fire 14 springs up to 21lbs, water was calm and the sun was warm. The kids had a blast. It was never crowded , only 2 commercial trollers and 4 sporties and saw every boat bring in fish.

Back