Poll: What LB test are you using?

What line do you use on your Mooching Reels?

• 20lb Mono

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 25lb Mono

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • 30lb Mono

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • 40lb Mono

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I don't use Mono I use Braid

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • I use full Fluorocarbon line

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Waterwolf2230

I'm curious as to what the majority are using on their mooching reels. I have been using Maxima UG 30 but I see that many of the show hosts on TV are using 25lb. I even know some that are using braid with a top shot of mono and yet another guy that is using full 130lb braid (40lb equivalent).

I'm curious as to what the majority are using on their mooching reels. I have been using Maxima UG 30 but I see that many of the show hosts on TV are using 25lb. I even know some that are using braid with a top shot of mono and yet another guy that is using full 130lb braid (40lb equivalent).

After years of tinkering, I'm now using 30# Power Pro braid with mono backing and a top shot (30') of high vis/UV 30# mono.

After years of tinkering, I'm now using 30# Power Pro braid with mono backing and a top shot (30') of high vis/UV 30# mono.
What have you found that makes that setup better? Less line drag? Which knot are you using for the mono to braid? I could see that it would take some tinkering to get the proper ratios of backing to braid.

100 yds of flyline 30lb backing 300 yds of 60lb braid and two rod lengths of 25lb mono top shot to hold the clip release
just change out the mono as and when needed .....

100 yds of flyline 30lb backing 300 yds of 60lb braid and two rod lengths of 25lb mono top shot to hold the clip release
just change out the mono as and when needed .....

this + I use a longer topshot of mono so I can put a plug 50 feet back and still clip to mono. FG knot.

Used to use 30# but now that I have my system dialed in and use good bead chains I have dropped to 25# with no troubles, I strip of the last bit of line every couple trips or when I feel a knick. If your going to be crossing lines, using crappy swivels or any thing else that results in a few f bombs I'd stick with 30#

40# berkley for me. Better safe than sorry!

Still havent decided on backing or not, so far I just have my reels spooled with about 300y of mono.

What have you found that makes that setup better? Less line drag? Which knot are you using for the mono to braid? I could see that it would take some tinkering to get the proper ratios of backing to braid.

The knot is what I understand to basically be an improved/modified FG or GT knot. Here is my source, I prefer this one and have not had this knot fail yet. I had one that I leader tied last summer and used it for the whole season with no issues.

The reasons were a few...
- I typically am fishing deep, not uncommon to have 200+ feet of line out.
- The number one reason I prefer the braid when that deep, it has a much better feel, you can feel every head shake even with 300' of line out with a fish on. Makes it much more fun and enjoyable and because braid is 'less forgiving', the reward is greater (personally anyway!).
- Less line drag and blow back because I typically am fishing deep.
- I like the top shot of mono for two reasons.
- It allows a little bit of grace for larger fish, allows flexibility, especially when playing and landing at the boat (I'm often solo or with my younger son)
- It is much better for holding the line in the clip
- I prefer the braid for the subtle strikes and for when you have shakers, rockfish, P-cod, etc on the line. That with a MF rod tip, the subtle rod dips are more easily discernible and end up dragging incidental bycatch around less.
- I feel that I've had more hook ups, or at least a much better retention ratio because of the change.

I'm no expert and don't claim to be absolutely right but I like what I have.

I don't worry about the ratio's at all whether right, wrong, or indifferent. I use Amundson mooching reels, so for backing I add about 200 yards of Berkley Trilene Big Cat Solar (UV, high vis) backing which fills about half the volume of the spool. I tie on with the improved FG knot 300 yards of Hi-Vis 30# Power Pro, this takes me to about 70% spool capacity with lots of room for taking up line that is offset. I then tie on my leader, using the FG knot with the top shot of the Berkley BG Solar. I love this stuff, the line visibility on the surface is awesome. I've had other boats comment on how they can see where my line is quite a ways away.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

I use 40lb mono on the reel and all my gear past the flasher is 30lb. After each fish I check my leaders for any nicks and change it when required.

The knot is what I understand to basically be an improved/modified FG or GT knot. Here is my source, I prefer this one and have not had this knot fail yet. I had one that I leader tied last summer and used it for the whole season with no issues.

The reasons were a few...
- I typically am fishing deep, not uncommon to have 200+ feet of line out.
- The number one reason I prefer the braid when that deep, it has a much better feel, you can feel every head shake even with 300' of line out with a fish on. Makes it much more fun and enjoyable and because braid is 'less forgiving', the reward is greater (personally anyway!).
- Less line drag and blow back because I typically am fishing deep.
- I like the top shot of mono for two reasons.
- It allows a little bit of grace for larger fish, allows flexibility, especially when playing and landing at the boat (I'm often solo or with my younger son)
- It is much better for holding the line in the clip
- I prefer the braid for the subtle strikes and for when you have shakers, rockfish, P-cod, etc on the line. That with a MF rod tip, the subtle rod dips are more easily discernible and end up dragging incidental bycatch around less.
- I feel that I've had more hook ups, or at least a much better retention ratio because of the change.

I'm no expert and don't claim to be absolutely right but I like what I have.

I don't worry about the ratio's at all whether right, wrong, or indifferent. I use Amundson mooching reels, so for backing I add about 200 yards of Berkley Trilene Big Cat Solar (UV, high vis) backing which fills about half the volume of the spool. I tie on with the improved FG knot 300 yards of Hi-Vis 30# Power Pro, this takes me to about 70% spool capacity with lots of room for taking up line that is offset. I then tie on my leader, using the FG knot with the top shot of the Berkley BG Solar. I love this stuff, the line visibility on the surface is awesome. I've had other boats comment on how they can see where my line is quite a ways away.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 31895

View attachment 31896
That's a fine looking knot, I've been doing the improved Albright but your's seems a bit simpler and smaller. Just going to take some time getting used to it.

Yes the Albright Special is a very easy and secure knot. It almost always snugs down perfectly without any issues. I have been using it for many years and I've never had the knot slip. I tried other versions of the Albright before I settled on the Albright Special. It just seemed far easier to tie than other versions. It was well recommended on the deep sea forums at the time many years ago when I started using it.

Nowadays the gt/fg/sebile etc knots are becoming more popular for connections because they are more compact. They are far more complicated to tie though, and I wouldn't want to have to redo those knots on the boat. A lot of the reason they are so popular for top shots is because in casting applications you want the smallest knot possible. For trolling if the joint is a little bulkier it's not really a big deal. If I was using it for casting I'd probably go to one of the newer smaller knots.

That's a fine looking knot, I've been doing the improved Albright but your's seems a bit simpler and smaller. Just going to take some time getting used to it.

It takes a little tweaking to get it right but isn't too difficult. I like it because it is simple, it's a running compression knot and really only has a true knot or two at the end where I like to finish with a couple of half hitches and a full hitch. Then I will go over the whole knot with clear nail polish to finish it off and to hold it as well as to try to reduce the chances of a snag. This is the only real negative to it is it can sometimes catch when you are dropping your cannonball as your line is spooling off.

If I could offer any 'pearls' of wisdom, it would be to make sure to snug up the braid down as you are tying it and with any braid, moisten it as you are tightening it. Once you figure it out, you will see what works to have it dress properly and look nice and neat. Good luck!

Back