Poll - Sport Fishing and Salmon Stocks

I would go with D, however i think a complete 4 year closure may likly be necessary if things don't change soon. Even the commercial guys are shaking there heads this year! I do see a definate issue with the lodges guests sending truckloads out of Tofino/Uci in the St Jeans truck for processing and shipment home at a later date. We saw 4 guys limit on everything for a week straight, Posession???

I also agree with Roy on the lack of enforcement. I have not been spot checked on the water in three years including numerous hours Spring Halibut pounding, Summer, Fall, and Winter Salmon fishing! Thousands of hours not one FO?

C) Close all retention in and near Chinook spawning rivers
D) Lower day and poss. limits to 1 and 2

Retention should be very selective near and in rivers. These fish battle all that way to have some newb side hook it and bonk it over the head just to watch it go yellow in the frezer a year later.

Yes I think those limits are a must.

D
With the understanding that all intrested parties cut back on there retention of fish, and the critical ones (the ones that make it to the spawning grounds) are left alone. No more river netting of fish

Wolf Chinooks have a 3-7 yr cycle. 3yr being almost all jacks. And then they go up in size from there. To go by your rule they would all be book ends like other species tend to be.
But that said I would vote for the either C and B. I just kills me in the summer to send so many guest home with big nooks knowing they will have salmon left over in the freezer next year when they come back. Try as many guides do to get them to release big fish, it is about killing and the bragging rights at the dock. I think more lodges should have C&R derbies not cash for the biggest killed like West Coast Resorts. And Langara Fishing Lodge with their free trip for the biggest fish of the month.
I also believe that the worst thing that ever happened to chinooks is giving the 30+'rs a name. Makeing that target on the scale is what is RAPING the gene pool. Big fish carry more of the genes that make more big fish. They still carry Jack genes and so on, but they will carry more of the genes that carry on the 4yr, 5yr, 6yr cycles.

Vi fly I know (do you think im stupid) I was using 4 years as an example because that is the majority of them but you also forgot the 8 years springs as well like you said the 4 to 8 year are the really big boys 50 to 80 lbers which are dwindiling at a very alarming pace.
The lodges up in the charlottes are doing a great job with the promotion of throwing back 50 plus lb fish and giving a credit for a mount,now if they would do it for the big mama halis.

Wolf

i vote "C" , if the fish are given a chance to get up the river to
spawn without flossing, netting and spearing to stop them,
we would soon have stronger numbers.

Interesting thing about winter springs, i have sent heads off
for analysis and they send you back the information about which
hatchery they came from.
All the fin clipped fish came from Washington state hatcheries.

I'm not convinced the majority of these fish would even be local
spawners.

Most of them are not do you remember about 7 or so years ago when we were not allowed to keep a fish over 70 cm and the sidney derby was won with a little fish they were tring to help save the nooksack fish, I remeber about 12 years ago when constance was closed till april 1 all the time I wish it would go back to that.

Wolf

point being, closure on winter springs could help the overall
numbers on the westcoast from B.C to Oregon...
But, it would not necessarily have any impact on local returns.
In my opinion there are other measures that would be of greater
benefit.
(can you tell i enjoy the winter fishery) ;)

How would it not if they are all local fish? These are not springs from Cali or Alaska... most are from Puget Sound and the Fraser system. As this fishery gains popularity, the local numbers will in turn gradually decrease. I do agree that there are better solutions but I do belive there hasn't been enough reserch into the inpact of this fishery as it is relivly new in the grand scheme of salmon fishing on the Coast.

R.S Craven....Salmon migrate from North to South therefore most of the fish in our local waters (sooke - sidney) will be travelling to points south of us or to the Fraser so there are very few Canadian Rivers that your tagged fish can be heading to if caught locally.

TT

quote:Originally posted by totally tyee

R.S Craven....Salmon migrate from North to South therefore most of the fish in our local waters (sooke - sidney) will be travelling to points south of us or to the Fraser so there are very few Canadian Rivers that your tagged fish can be heading to if caught locally.

TT
thats my point, and while i realize that they are still a valuable resource,those fish when mature will not be in our local waters anyway.
i still believe if every area protected their own spawning
grounds, the problem would alleviate.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

i vote "C" , if the fish are given a chance to get up the river to
spawn without flossing, netting and spearing to stop them,
we would soon have stronger numbers.

Interesting thing about winter springs, i have sent heads off
for analysis and they send you back the information about which
hatchery they came from.
All the fin clipped fish came from Washington state hatcheries.

I'm not convinced the majority of these fish would even be local
spawners.
I was going to say the same.I've fished winters in and around Sansum Narrows and Active Pass for 30 years. Sent in lots of heads.Every one has been from washington programs. It led to the closure a few years back. I stopped sending in heads because of that.

It would be nice if the entire West Coast (California to Alaska) could come to some agreement where rolling closures along the coast will protect the runs in need of rebuilding. They could probably do test fisheries in the main migration routes, do some genetic workup on the fish caught (to determine where they are from) and decide whether or not an area should be open. This should apply to all fishing (Sport, Commercial and First Nations).

Also, when I suggested that the entire Strait of Georgia be closed to Salmon fishing, I meant for about 5 years.

Both of these are long shots, especially the first.

I like the thought behind the original posting but there are no options on there that address climate change and habitat degradation. Whether we release salmon or not will not affect fish runs that are trying to get through a warmed up ocean or up a river or stream that has dried up.
T2

D...also lower annual limit considerably.

Limit and enforce river fishing. The numbers taken by the First Nations are horrendous. Considering how much money and how many voters are involved in recreational fishing compared to the natives...you'd think the government would be a little more motivated.

Stamp River...as of Sept 25 this year.

ABORIGINAL FISHING: The Tseshaht First Nations fished on Saturday evening Sep. 16 with 7 nets for 3 hours. The catch from this fishery was 890 chinooks. Both the Tseshaht and the Hupacasath First Nations participated in a 2 hour opening on Thursday evening September 21. A total of 60 nets harvested 2156 chinook. The total chinook catch to date for the Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations is 26,935. </u>

Total estimated recreational catch...11,135.

that they take alot of fish . concerned angler please change your name , because it really pisses me off how your not concerned about ****

My point?!?! Did you read the whole post?

Ok, I'll try again...27,000 chinook netted in the river by natives...$$$ added to BC's economy ~$0...
11,000 caught by the sports fishing fleet...$$$ added to BC's economy, $millions.

Well I for one am for a three prong approach.

A- The winter fishery isn't that big of a loss for a few years, as most don't fish that much in the bad weather although I do, I'd rather give it up that than lose it all together.

C- Leave the fish alone once they have managed to get to the rivers no fishing for them we had our shot out in the chuck.

D- The possesion limits are abused greatly with mass amounts of fish either leaving our province all together or rotting in some dumb asses freezer.

Then for the drastic approach a 50% decrease in all commercial and first nations fish quotas as well as a complete ban on seiners and draggers and river nets. A major seal cull for the georgia straight in and around all spawning rivers. Then we hope like hell it's not to late!

Back