Polish Hunter Sausage

IronNoggin

This recipe goes back a couple years now...

My bowhunting Buddy in the OK managed to wander across, and take down one of those elusive feral hogs we all hear about. Amazing unto itself!
Then he requested a rather special recipe for the sausage to come from this magical beast.
Apparently the recipe came all the way from the home country - Poland in this case, and had to be translated into something I could pretend to understand...

Now, I am all about sausages, been doing that a considerable spell, and kind of like to think I know what I am up to in that regard. At least a little.
When I read over that recipe, I remember going Hhmmmmmmmmmmm.... Dunno....

Well, that batch turned out so damn good I tucked the idea away in the To Be Remembered file.

Jump forward to this year. Another Buddy, Bowhunter Extraordinaire just returned from Alberta with a couple Russian Boars in hand. I have chewed on those before, and while tasty, they often were a little on the rubbery side for my liking. These ones though, had not only the great flavor, but were actually rather tender.
Nice.

Target was to make the larger balance of what he dropped off into the same sausage we had proven a couple years back.
And so we set about that task.

Here's the recipe for any who might want to try this (note, it is reduced down from an 80 lb recipe, so is a close approximate). In this case we had two 31 pound runs:

Ingredients:

24 Pounds Russian Boar (18 lbs fine grind, 6 lbs coarse)
7 Pounds Domestic Pig (coarse grind)

Total: 31 Pounds

8 Tblsp Salt
2 Tblsp Prague Cure # 1
5 Tblsp Ground Black Pepper
9.5 Tblsp Fresh Copped Garlic
5 Tblsp Garlic Powder
3 Tblsp Ground Juniper
3 Tblsp Marjoram
½ bag Yellow Mustard Seed
½ bag Grams Coriander Seed

5 Cups Ice Water
1/2 (Mickey) London Dry Gin

All mixed, and shot on the same day into standard hog casings.

iMVlDj6.jpg

Since moving I have yet to set up the downstairs processing room.
So my buddy's Lady has to put up with us working in their dining room!
As a consequence, help for the reno to come has been firmly offered once again!
wink.gif

Then they sat and dried out overnight.
Into the smoker, 8 hour run at medium (155 F) heat
Finished with a hot water bath (bringing internal up to 152 F) and hanging to bloom.

After another day, we finally bagged and tagged the lot:

InwL6Tf.jpg

And... Another hit right out of the park!
Pozitive.gif

Ate an entire coil while bagging them! LOL!

Now resting for a day in the fridge before storage.
Leaning heavily towards finding some of these damn things to shoot!!
cool.png

Cheers,
Nog

Looks dam delicious. How big a bag of mustard and coriander seed are you referring to?

I believe the mustard seeds come in a 100 gram bag, and the coriander in 200 gram.

And aYup, it is indeed "Damn Delicious"!!

Cheers,
Nog

Looks good Matt, have ran a couple of your recipes in the past with success.
One question though, do you not find it better to work with weights rather than measurements?
I have found, adding just a little more of one ingredient at times can have a large impact on the consistency of the results, specifically in sausage preparations.

I am slowly (over the last few years) compiling recipes to pass on to my kids.
For the most part I do approximate measurements for dishes that you are cooking... but with sausage, fresh, cooked, fermented and cured, as well as baking, I have found weights to be the way to go.
Approximate measurements for regular dishes work for me, because in the end you need to read between the lines and no matter how good a recipe is , it does not absolve the cook from cooking...
I have excellent pasta recipes yet I can not say how long to knead to reach the texture of that velvety dough that gives fresh pasta it's satisfying bite.

Sorry didn't mean to derail, just some things I have been thinking about over the years.

... One question though, do you not find it better to work with weights rather than measurements?
I have found, adding just a little more of one ingredient at times can have a large impact on the consistency of the results, specifically in sausage preparations.

I agree with your latter statement. But we mix in somewhat large volumes (smallest run we have ever done was 20 pounds, and our "usual" is 30 pounds per run). Slight variations do not effect the overall as much as a consequence IMO.

I've always used measurements. In fact, when we get a recipe in weights, I pretty well always convert that to the other.
Each to their own I guess.
Had a lot of success with what we roll with over the years, and I guess the dogs are getting a little old to learn new tricks... LOL!

Cheers,
Nog

I too like Nog replace with measurements unless you have a GREAT digital scale measuring is faster and easier . When I did my culinary Arts in college the chefs would always say the same thing A RECIPE is just a guideline alter it as you see fit ....... after doing something 10 or plus times you get a "feel" of what is working and not and alter it .
I my self add more garlic to game cause I like it LOL

Back