Polarized glasses

Hi people. Have a question, that I am sure we all have, but not sure if is an answer?? We all use polarized glasses for fishin and they work great. But they suck when looking at out electronics screens. I take mine off, look at screen, put back on.. kind of a pain.. If you get your view at the right angle with the sun, they can work a bit. Any magic solutions out there??

I save the polarized for river fishing and wear the cheapies on the boat.

I have found the the older black and grey screens(no colour) are primarily the problem. The color screens seem to be better.

i get the uber cheap 12$ walmart polarized glasses and have 3 spares on the boat.... no biggie when they go overboard and theyre decent quality

i get the uber cheap 12$ walmart polarized glasses and have 3 spares on the boat.... no biggie when they go overboard and theyre decent quality

not really the point ... at all. lol

yes this is the hugest PIA on a boat all season long.. i think mine go off and on 500x/day!!! i have never thought of,or found a solution!
to keep them from falling in i have tuna cord lanyard. lol

Before I started wearing polarized sun glasses on the water I'd come back with burning eyes.
Might help to have some shade over your instruments.
There are way worse things many of us have to deal with on the water - make the best of it!
Stosh

Polarized sun glasses...with all this rain we keep having, mine are still winterized. :cool::cool:

Although I am needing to get new ones.

Mako
My kinda boat - I have 21 Seaswirl Center Consul with. T-top. Not a common boat on the wet coast, but sure fun to fish out of.
Kind of off the topic, but here's a great way stop your sunglasses from going overboard.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately there is no magic to beat the laws of physics on this, although recently some manufactures have improved LCD screens to compensate somewhat. For example the iPhone 6 improved readability of the screen through polarized lenses. I've kind of got used to tilting my neck about 20 degrees and it's enough for me to read the screen of my chartplotter without taking glasses off.

Last edited:
The use of polarized shades is not advisable to wear while opperating a boat. The glare is your friend, as it will tell you the water conditions and and a flicker of another boat could save a collision .

The use of polarized shades is not advisable to wear while opperating a boat. The glare is your friend, as it will tell you the water conditions and and a flicker of another boat could save a collision .
Except when that glare keeps you from seeing a boat, or seeing through the water to the shallow rocks just below the surface, or makes your eyes so tired that you are not paying attention , or you can't see the log in the water from the glare........... hmmmm seems to be a pattern developing here.:D

some wind screens are comming about with polarized propertys that oil slick the visibility of opperator.

if you want cataract surgery before 50.

I find polarized glasses conflict with the window tint in my pilothouse. The glass appears blotchy and difficult to see through.

Maui Jim's for many years for me and no complaints. I don't want to be an eye surgery candidate if I don't have to. Sometimes I put them on earlier in the day than I want to but can't see the roll of my bait in the water otherwise on occasions.

Maui Jim's for many years for me and no complaints. I don't want to be an eye surgery candidate if I don't have to. Sometimes I put them on earlier in the day than I want to but can't see the roll of my bait in the water otherwise on occasions.
X2 on the Maui's

I'd like to get a set of Maui Jim's. Costco used to have them on sale occasionally and I kick myself for not going for it. Now I never see that sale.

Back