Pinks in the Campbell?

Heard from my buds at the hatchery that there isn't near as many fishing in the system as they were hopping for. They did a swim a few days ago (and my brother did one just day before yesturday) and both sources say, "there's not many in there compared to last year."
My bro said he saw a number down from the logging bridge, but compared to last season it looks like less than third as many fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
just finishing packing, and i'll be heading to miracle for a couple days. I am gonna hit the river at least once while i'm there. Maybe i"ll meet some of you guys while i'm there......

I'm going to join the gong show today pm, going to try to fish away from the seething hoardes even if it means a bit of a walk. How can anyone get any pleasure from fishing shoulder to shoulder with others?

It's just a different fishery Gallows. You go expecting a crowd, kind of like going to a party. Just go with the flow and it can be fun. But I normally like solitude ont he flow too; I hear where you're coming from.

Was there this morning, lots of fish now. Plenty of people, but everyone was polite and letting people play their fish. Lots of spectators too. Pinks are still bright. I only brought in one that wasn't chrome. It's starting to remind me of last July/early August.

Was down there this morning. Brought in a few nice ones. Had a really nice chrome spring on too, played for about 4 or 5 minutes, up close, but man some people are stupid. Casting right over your line with a big fish on. Would have been a nice one to bring in and get a photo with before releasing back. For the most part though Brews is correct, most people are pretty decent down there, and only had two people do silly things. Did see one guy tail snag one and try to keep it. Almost witnessed a good ol fashioned fist fight over that one ahah.

pinks.jpg

On another note there was some really cool guys down there. Saw one guy hitting fish after fish and he showed me what he was using.. pink and purple fly, and even was kind enough to give me one, and first cast in with it, nailed one. Pretty good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there last night. Finally broke the dry spell with a nice five pounder. Had a dozen or so hook ups that never made it to shore. Bite seemed to come on really good between 8-9. Ran into the creel surveyor too. He said it was a 60 fish day, but that a good day was 80-100. Saw quite a few springs jumping too.

Stupid Springs!!

Don't they know they are supposed to be hanging around the Tyee Pool?

Sheesh!!

Take care.

Stupid Springs!!

Don't they know they are supposed to be hanging around the Tyee Pool?

Sheesh!!

Take care.

LOL

I was going to comment on that Dave, being one of your unskilled rod holders! LOL! Those must be the fish that went through when I was out with you! LOL. Have a good one!

Saw something else last night on the river that I forgot to mention. There were quite a few smaller fish jumping which I had not seen before. They were maybe a foot long and seemed to be chrome on the sides with a dark back, but by 8 PM the light isn't all that great down there. I doubt that they are Pinks as they are just little guys. Any one have any ideas? there seemed to be quite a few of them where I was.

My friend hooked what appeared to be a bullhead by accident in the river.. I was thinking freshwater sculpin? Ideas?

Saw something else last night on the river that I forgot to mention. There were quite a few smaller fish jumping which I had not seen before. They were maybe a foot long and seemed to be chrome on the sides with a dark back, but by 8 PM the light isn't all that great down there. I doubt that they are Pinks as they are just little guys. Any one have any ideas? there seemed to be quite a few of them where I was.

Those are trout. my bro-in-law was with me last night, and he switched to a dry fly at dusk for a little catch and release.

Cutties?...I've caught a couple of them on the river this year....

Would there not be small jouvy coho in the system getting bigger and waiting to go out to sea? Or would they have already gone?

I was there yesterday morning. Lots of pinks in the river, I saw lots of cutthroats jumping and also a few coho. Pinks are starting to turn quickly now. Caught lots on a small blue fly but only one chromer!

I think they're turning in the ocean, even before they enter the river. I caught one in browns bay that was completely green already. I figured that it was headed to the Campbell. It's funny how quickly they change. Just Sunday I only caught one that wasn't nice.

I went there on Thursday morning. Caught about a dozen but they were all green and humpy. Finished for the year now. Awaiting the chum in the Puntledge.

Hrmm Odd. I'm still catching oodles of nice ones in the chuck, and I mean oodles.. Jumping everywhere. Are they for sure done in the Campbell, or is it a case where they're simply coming in with the tide in waves?. Unsure. Perhaps those more experienced with the CR know for sure. More of a question for me.

I hear ya fishbc.org.... I know its north of cr but I was fishing blackfish sound on friday and there was thousands and thousands... a couple square mile school of 'em. SO Many infact that I ran some over!!! on my way from flower to malcolm. put the gear in the water and it was instant action.... could only get one rod in the water. Did this for and hour then had to head home. My boat looked like I slaughtered an elephant in it!!!!

Back