Pinks in the Campbell?

I had the same problem a couple years back. I couldn't get my fly down fast enough. So i ended up using leaded line as part of my leader. So at the end of my fly line was approx 2 feet of leaded line, then 1 ft of 6 pnd line as the tippet to my fly. That was the ticket, and i started nailing them.
Until then, i was using sinking line and i had 1 hit in about 5 hours of fishing. I was just not able to get deep enough. Too bad it took 1/2 my weekend to figure it out!!lol.

I was on the right of the last guy in the second photo! That's when my rod blew up! Went by at lunch today to kill time outside. Not tons of people out but enough. a few people had one or two fish but that's it. Only saw two landed in 45 minutes and one of those was foul hooked in the tail. Too bad you won't be up on the weekend Holmes. I'm off work. Would have been good to actually meet the Phantom Mr. Holmes.:)

Good luck if you get out!

Just back from giving the Campbell a try. Quite a few fishers trying,, very few catching. Hit 4 fish, buddy got a couple.They are on the bottom. Fish are there but they aren't suicidal by any means. Hit down river and even though they aren't showing, they are there. Weekend should be a gong show. With the high water, there isn't as much room as usual. So still kind of a waiting game. Good luck if you're gonna try it.

hit the river again this a.m. , the river is a little higher than a few days ago, C&R 2, and long distance released 2 others ..blue or pink bead head handle bars worked again for me...maybe try again on Sunday...

Well, time to give it a try again. Heading down now. If any one is around I'll be the guy in the OD green polar fleece and fishing vest wearing a black Behr Paints hat. Maybe see some of you there. Have a good one.

First one to island pool this morning... hooked into a dozen or so.... none foul hooked either which is always nice.... 1/2 hr into it the **** storm started.... 3 guys, great some people to fish with a shoot the ****.... add 2 more.... little crowded add 3 more.... I'm gone... Good morning. I did hook one at first light that certainly woke me up. Maybe a spring?! I was fishing deep and it hit on the swing so I'm positive it was not a foul hooked pink. It turned and took off across and down big time!! I tried to palm the reel... no chance and my 6/7 switch rod was bent from butt to tip. It turned and with that much line out it went slack and gonzo. One will never know.....

bub when I swam the river a week or so ago I saw a Steelie around that spot that looked close to 12lbs, not saying that's what you caught but I did see it there.

hit the river again with fly rod in hand early this am...heading from Courtenay it was pouring:eek: rain south of Merville to Oyster River, but beautiful and sunny morning in CR:D....river is still on the high side...and lots of pinks...lost track of # caught , fresh bear sh#t on beach gravel where we were, buddy lost one of his pinks that he had killed to something, he had killed his 4th one and was going to clean them all and one was missing?...never heard a thing so have no idea what took it..(no people around)....no biggy, next cast, fish on.....IMO no better way to fish pinks:cool:

I was fishing the Campbell this morning and happened to be fishing where the houses are below the bridge. I had on chest waders and walked down a bit where it was quieter. I was standing in the river and had my fishing bag behind me on the bank. One of the house owners came over and said I was trespassing because he owned the land right up to the waters edge. I said I was standing in the river but he said my bag was on the bank and that was his land and told me to move it. I placed it on a rock in the river and told him he was just being petty.
Does anyone know if property owners along there do actually own the land right to the waters edge. The water level changes considerably.

They own to the natural boundary, which is basically where the nature of the soil changes from the upland property from the usual movements of the water. As surveyors we basically use where the vegetation ends(typically). google natural boundary at the association of BC land surveyors website for the actual definition.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KoyI9Dh3-A--C-Uzuv47qA?feat=directlink

even if their title boundary extends past the natural boundary, they only own to the present natural boundary

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for property rights... don't get me wrong. Who would buy a house on one of the most popular fishing rivers if they didn't want/or atleast expect fishermen to be around? Doesn't make sense to me... If you were walking through his property I could understand.... but you were in the river.!

I am going up with the fam for another try this sunday. We'll be camping at miracle. Holmes, i was gonna come say hi if i saw ya, but i'm not sure i will if you are wearing your blackhawks gear!!lol, just kidding.

It was busy this am but I managed to catch and release my 4. We were at the sandy pool and up further. Just trying to avoid the bottom bouncers was fun.

Back