Pinks in the Campbell?

R

rico

Anyone know if any pinks have entered the Campbell yet? I am camping up there for a week, starting next week. I know i am a little early, but i am hoping. My 5 year old boy is a fishaholic, and we just had a blast together last year up there. He can cast straighter than some of the guys up there we were fishing beside!!lol
Thanks for any info

Rico,

I remember your posts from last year, sounded like you had a blast! At the moment there are a few pinks bouncing around the Nile Creek beach, but I have not had confirmation on the CR yet. I may head up later this week for a recce. They have not shown up in the more northern rivers yet....but things change quickly. The Quinsam River is only open for retention after Aug 15th this year, so if you want to bonk any it has to be downstream of where it meets the Campbell.(Which opens July 15th) http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region1-eng.htm

If you see new blue GMC Sierra parked near there.... it's likely me.

Cheers,

BL

Thanks Bruce Lee, we did have a lot of fun. Every person my son saw by the river, he was telling them how huge the fish he caught were and that he had lost a big one and so on. He just loves it so much i am crossing my fingers there will be something there for him. I know the rule of thumb is beginning of august, but we could only go this particular week this year.
Thanks for the heads up on the retention. I am familiar with the rules there, and i dont fish the quinsum. I usually try to find a safe spot just below the quinsum so the kid can cast safely. I'll usually just keep one for the bbq back at camp, and let the little guy fish for a while.
thanks again for the update!!

Thanks for the update Holmes. We just returned from a week stay at Pacific Playgrounds. While i was there I went to the Campbell river and hung around a bit. I didnt see anybody having any luck, so i went to the River Sportsman to ask and the guy told me that some are in, but nobody is catching anything. Not a big deal though, as i also have a week off mid august, so I will be sure to take the little guy up there then.
So then i decided to go and check out discovery pier. I was impressed by looking at the catch board that basically every 2 days, a 20 pounder or so is being caught. The biggest was 32.5! Pretty cool, but i never had a chance to drop a line. Just too busy with all the family from alberta. I did manage a 4 inch bull head from the dock at Pacific Playgrounds though. I handed the rod over to my boy(reason i was fishing for those), and he battled it like a pro. Took a quick pic and then the bull head was released unharmed!!lol

I was actually on my way to swim at Mcivor lake when i heard about the elk falls incident on the radio. Really unfortunate for all involved.

Ive been told buy a couple differant people that you should kill all bullheads you catch lol, because they eat Salmon Smolts.
Have any of you guys heard that before?

Some sculpins, like the Brown Bullhead are invasive but most others play important ecological roles including being a food source for salmonids. It would be more effective to kill humans, they kill far more juvenile salmon than bullheads, mergansers and seals combined. Start with the people who told you to bonk bullheads.

I heard up to 30 million for the Georgia Strait.....2 million for the Quinsam/Campbell rivers. The northern rivers have started, its only a matter of a couple days and the CR will be on fire! Can't wait!

BL

Nothing of note today either.

Take care.

We went to McIvor lake today, there were several vehicles parked along that stretch around the quinsam confluence today. Didn't see any fish in hand, just trucks and fishermen.

I understand that a portion of the Campbell has been closed until October 31, from Maple Street to the cement block? Since I'm out of town, and I can't picture this in my mind, can someone tell me if this includes the Sandy Pool? My gramps loves to go fishing down there when the pinks are in, and I'd hate for him to get ticketed... or get my gear confiscated. Thanks.

StS2, Maple St is well below the Hwy 19 bridge. If Gramps is fishing near the logging road bridge he should be good. Not much going on yet though.

Tst

It sounds like the same closure as last year which takes in the estuary and river down stream of the bridge that takes you out of town to the north island. I saw the CO's posting notices the other day along the stretch of river behind Home Depot but I'm not sure if they've extended the closure further up stream.

See image for closed portion

closedod.jpg

Holmes, I'd have to go down to check it out but IIRC its close to where the C in closed portion is in that pic. There's a marker there at the end of the spit.

Thank you very much for this posting--as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! For those of us from out of town this map makes it quite clear where we are not allowed to fish.

Ran into two hatchery workers fishing off the pier last night. They were going to do a float and count this week but decided to hold off until next week. CO's were apparently checking people fishing the river yesterday throughout the day. Grand total of all fish caught: 6. No breakdown as to what they were as there have been several steelhead caught over the last week including a nice 10#er. Tried for about an hour myself as well. NADA. Some coming off the pier but so far not many. It looks like they are starting to arrive, but it's definitely still several days away before they start moving up the river.

Back