Pickled fish recipe swiped from the commercial fish board!!

Cuba Libre

I am posting this for Mike Maxwell... (my good deed for the day)

Pickled fish from my families handed down recipe. Enjoy all.

Salting process
Use salmon fillets. If large salmon cut to manageable sz. If thick King salmon, score the skin side into the fat layer. This promotes even salting. You don't want your fish to spoil before it is cured. I wasted a huge copper King and learned the hard way.
Use fine grain salt. Do not use rock salt as it will pit the flesh.
Layer of salt. Be liberal, about 1/2 inch layer. Then fish. Layer half inch salt on all fish. When done add cold fresh water to where you can just see it soaking thru top layer of salt. If any salt washed away off fillets add more in that spot This method will keep your fillets from salt burn and you will not have to trim the flesh.
Salt fish for a month. Could probably not go that long but better safe than sorry.

Take pcs of fish out of brine.
Skin your fillets.
Cut fish into just smaller than bite sz pcs. Put in clean container Rinse briefly Cover with fresh cold water and leave set for 4 hrs in cool place. The warmer the environment the faster the salt will leach out.
Drain water off, rinse and cover with cold water again for another 4 hrs.
This is done. Rinse and drain. Your ready to pickle.
INGREDIENTS
lots onion, lots fresh garlic, pickle spice, lemon, but very small amount as it will make your fish bitter. Dad always said its to keep the onions from turning brown.
I use baby canned corns. Live to eat the with the fish and onion/garlic. Not great for kissing your new date.
Others have used veggies in their fish also. Play with it and get your own flavor. Use apple cider vinegar.
Brown sugar
Now it's time to put it together
Layer of fish, single layer or not too piled up.layer of onion, garlic, corns, spice/ not too much spice. It's strong. Then just a couple lemon small wedges. Continue layering until full. Then brown sugar at top. I use Aprox 2 tablespoons for a quart of fish. But you can always add if too tart. Pour cider vinegar over top of layers and sugar. This will de solve sugar not container. Done deal.
Let sit for at least 5 days in refrigerator. This is still a little early to eat, but most people can't wait. lol. It's best after 2 weeks.
Pickled fish from my families handed down recapie. Enjoy all.
Salting process
Use salmon fillets. If large salmon cut to manageable sz. If thick King salmon, score the skin side into the fat layer. This promotes even salting. You don't want your fish to spoil before it is cured. I wasted a huge copper King and learned the hard way.
Use fine grain salt. Do not use rock salt as it will pit the flesh.
Layer of salt. Be liberal, about 1/2 inch layer. Then fish. Layer half inch salt on all fish. When done add cold fresh water to where you can just see it soaking thru top layer of salt. If any salt washed away off fillets add more in that spot This method will keep your fillets from salt burn and you will not have to trim the flesh.
Salt fish for a month. Could probably not go that long but better safe than sorry.

Take pcs of fish out of brine.
Skin your fillets.
Cut fish into just smaller than bite sz pcs. Put in clean container Rinse briefly Cover with fresh cold water and leave set for 4 hrs in cool place. The warmer the environment the faster the salt will leach out.
Drain water off, rinse and cover with cold water again for another 4 hrs.
This is done. Rinse and drain. Your ready to pickle.
INGREDIENTS
lots onion, lots fresh garlic, pickle spice, lemon, but very small amount as it will make your fish bitter. Dad always said its to keep the onions from turning brown.
I use baby canned corns. Live to eat the with the fish and onion/garlic. Not great for kissing your new date.
Others have used veggies in their fish also. Play with it and get your own flavor. Use apple cider vinegar.
Brown sugar
Now it's time to put it together
Layer of fish, single layer or not too piled up.layer of onion, garlic, corns, spice/ not too much spice. It's strong. Then just a couple lemon small wedges. Continue layering until full. Then brown sugar at top. I use Aprox 2 tablespoons for a quart of fish. But you can always add if too tart. Pour cider vinegar over top of layers and sugar. This will de solve sugar not container. Done deal.
Let sit for at least 5 days in refrigerator. This is still a little early to eat, but most people can't wait. lol. It's best after 2 weeks.

I have not tried this-- but looks VERY good Cuba Libre

Cuba, I'll start eating pickled salmon when you start swilling Lucky. The thought of it makes me want to puke. :D:p

Well-- I certainly will not be drinking Monkey **** (AKA Lucky) any time soon... so I guess you will miss out on one of nature's delights!
de gustibus non est disputandum !!!:p

Back