Pick one

Wouldn't go with a Ford 6.0 power stroke (very poor design) other than that one, all of the rigs are good engines. The difference is more in the reliability of the rest of the power train. Dodge has Tranny and transer case issues, Chevy has a bullit proof tranny in the Allison, but not sure about front end steering and suspension, Ford seems to have a decent tranny and the rest of the drive train is pretty reliable. Your question is like asking Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki, which outboard is better? They're all good.

Duramax / Allison hands down. Don't run it offroad day in and day out (that is Ford country). I am assuming you are running pavement.

Duramax / Allison hands down. Don't run it offroad day in and day out (that is Ford country). I am assuming you are running pavement.

Ya shez a pavement Queen
Ps Duramax without the Allison, would be in the PowerStroke category................sorry , couldn't help it

kh

Love the new 6.7 powerstroke. What you really want though is a ford truck with a cummins engine and an Allison transmission. Still early to tell if the 6r140's are holding up in the super duty pickups.

Love the new 6.7 powerstroke. What you really want though is a ford truck with a cummins engine and an Allison transmission. Still early to tell if the 6r140's are holding up in the super duty pickups.

you hit that right on the nail, best of all worlds there!

Duramax... problem, talk to the engine rebuilding shops they see many of these... they like the guys who buy them!
Dodge tranny's suck hands down.
Fords... I have lived to hate them, but if I did not drive an import I would drive a ford.... so ford would be my vote

X2. My 2007 - 3500 Silverado has been across the prairie, up to the Yukon and Alaska and out to the W. Coast many times, always towing either a 6000# boat rig or a 10,000# fiver. It runs 90 kph at 1500 rpm, all day long, up hill and down. The Bridge Lake grade from Little Fort is a good education for anyone considering a new truck - Fords litter the shoulders. Sorry.
My brother, the mechanic, loves his 2010 Dodge/Cummins but he will say the Chevy ride's sure nicer on an old back. I like his turbo/compression brake. Mileage is identical.

BTW: 100,000 kms on the Duramax with zero problems. Chips = rebuilds. ...and if you are not totally anal about filters & oil changes and regular maintenance, a diesel truck is not for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duramax... problem, talk to the engine rebuilding shops they see many of these... they like the guys who buy them!

You drive an import nuff said. The duramax went through it's tough times and is now pretty good. Give it a rest and go sit and listen to music or whatever it is you do in your import (as you obviously don't tow anything with it).:p

You drive an import nuff said. The duramax went through it's tough times and is now pretty good. Give it a rest and go sit and listen to music or whatever it is you do in your import (as you obviously don't tow anything with it).:p
OMG Buddy- ROTF. Just a little bit harsh - but real.
There are opinions and then there are the informed opinions. There are trucks and then there are the ... Toy(ota)s.
Lovin' Chevy's since 1968!

OMG Buddy- ROTF. Just a little bit harsh - but real.
There are opinions and then there are the informed opinions. There are trucks and then there are the ... Toy(ota)s.
Lovin' Chevy's since 1968!

Just a little ribbing is all. It's only the internet:).

I drive a '97 Ford F250 with a 460 gasser so who am I to say anything:eek:.

That Cummins is a good motor and is winning THIS poll damn it:(.

Just wanna get things straight. Looking for one of the 3 Tow rides

Do not want to B bash'n others

Ps B4 I ran a domestic diesel i had a Yota Landcruiser oil burner & was very happy to put it MODERATELY pass it's limits

My Pavement queen could not come close to it's articulate motionz

Kh

Ouch, the new duramax is garbage... and just so you know the engine in it is made by toyota... yes you heard me right, do a little digging around you will find that its a toyota sub company owned engine made for north american specs... If ever them damn toyota will put out a true 1 ton, that duramax will not be making near 400hp, but much more torque and mileage!

Just a little ribbing is all. It's only the internet:).

I drive a '97 Ford F250 with a 460 gasser so who I'm I to say anything:eek:.

That Cummins is a good motor and is winning THIS poll damn it:(.

Damn did not see this post, you got the best combo for a gasser going!

Ouch, the new duramax is garbage... and just so you know the engine in it is made by toyota... yes you heard me right, do a little digging around you will find that its a toyota sub company owned engine made for north american specs... If ever them damn toyota will put out a true 1 ton, that duramax will not be making near 400hp, but much more torque and mileage!

I thought Duramax was Isuzu
& Toyota sub'd it's diesel division to Yanmar , with affiliation with BMW
Cummings branched to VW

Just what I herd????

Kh

Cummings branched to VW Just what I herd????
Kh

Yep: The 6.6-liter Duramax is produced by DMAX, a joint venture between GM and Isuzu in Moraine, Ohio. DMAX announced the production of the 1,000,000th Duramax V-8 diesel at its Moraine facility.

There are opinions and then there are informed opinions.

They all have their problems:
Chrysler is having repair problems with its 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Dodge RAM trucks equipped with the 6.7 Liter Cummins turbo diesel engine. Typically, the check engine light comes on causing the owner to take it in to their dealer for warranty repairs. The dealers will often find problems with the engine computer controls, the emissions system, the turbo, and especially the transmissions. There have also been fires in the engine compartments. A class action suit originating in Texas, is pending against Chrysler and Cummins from the 100,000's of owners affected.

Dodge has issued technical service bulletins on these models dealing with engine control software issues and excessive turbocharger soot accumulation resulting in emissions problems.

You are right Izuzu and GM designed the engine and it is US built and GM is the owner. Charlie where are the facts?

Cummings branched to VW

Just what I herd????

Kh

Pardon? I'm obviously missing something here. Like the facts.

I have a 2006 3500 with the DMAX LBZ and there is 185,000 kms without touching the engine or tranny. I am pulling a 30ft Wolfcraft Coastal cruiser all summer with it.

Back