petition to keep the BC Grizzly hunt alive

Despite showing up on Vancouver Island and downtown Squamish......I thought Suuuuzi said they were endangered?? :D :p

First off, I am not an avid hunter and don't claim to know all of the ins and outs of the grizzly bear hunt in BC. That said, I do occasionally hunt for ducks and I fish all year so I understand the draw to getting outside and hunting/fishing for food. I'm curious as to the reasons you support the hunt and what you (other hunters) do with the grizzly once it's killed. Is it used for food? Is it skinned and discarded? Is it an ego thing to shoot such a massive and iconic animal? I just have a hard time getting my head around why someone would want to kill an animal like a grizzly. Would appreciate you insight to help me understand.

This petition is going around on an alberta forum right now. its to keep the BC grizz hunt going. It has been shut down in Alberta and we have been fighting to get it back. We dont want you to loose yours. The anti hunters have over 17000 signitures so far so lets get this thing rolling. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-the-bc-grizzly-hunt.html

They intend to take hunting apart one game animal at a time. They have figured out how divided we are and are doing like the wolves and other predators, focus on one , separate it from the group and bingo, one down. All they have to do is check all the sites like this and see how we go at each other's throats and they work on our weak points.
Are we not a dumb pack?

Anti hunters want to shut down all hunting. The grizz hunt is first o the list.

They intend to take hunting apart one game animal at a time. They have figured out how divided we are and are doing like the wolves and other predators, focus on one , separate it from the group and bingo, one down. All they have to do is check all the sites like this and see how we go at each other's throats and they work on our weak points.
Are we not a dumb pack?

Agreed. Even if u don't support hunting predators you can get behind this if you enjoy any type of hunting or fishing. It's the idea of shutting it down that you are fighting.

The misconception of anti hunters is as a hunter we go out and kill everything that moves WRONG!!! there are times we go for days not even seeing an animal hunting is no different than fishing (except on water) so to say "boo to trophy hunting" well next time your out and you get a 30 + lb salmon throw it back !!! as thats a trophy in anyones eyes!!!!.

As a hunter I personally want a nice Boone and crocket buck or moose or any animal i hunt but reality is if its a "trophy" in my eyes and is in a spot where i can get it out and I can make a quick clean shot ill do it, Im about putting food on the table, been raised that way since I was born i like the taste also like the fact I know from when its shot to on the plate I PERSONALLY have done it all, One only has to look at XL foods and the mess that is. Ask your self when you go to the grocery store where was that animal raised,what it ate,who moved it,who killed it,and who butchered it???? makes you wonder doesnt it???

I Dont personally have the desire to go shoot a Grizz its not my thing but if someone wants to go ahead there is a lot of them I see them all the time up hunting.
YES there are an impressive animal gave tours of them in knight inlet (btw cant shoot them there protected area) the amout that is shot is well withing the perimeters of keeping a healthy stock of bears in check.

AsK any hunter if there is too many predators???
Ask a fisherman if there is too many seals??

Im sure the answer will be a YES........

Wolf

For what it's worth, I figure there are valid arguments on both sides of the Grizzly hunt fracus.

Personally, I suffer no compulsion to kill anything for the sake of hanging its hide on the wall, yet hunting remains one of my lifes greatest passions.

However, it bears (ha-ha) repeating that there is another important aspect concerning the hunting of Grizzly/Black bears that the bear-huggers don't want the public to know about while they are asking for donations to build their war-chest: it's about bear-human conflict.

I have read enough credible scientific study data from people who've studied bear behaviour & bear/human conflict (Shelton, Dr. Herrero etc.) who've seen first hand what horrific bear-attacks can do to humans, that I'm firmly in the camp that bears should continue to be hunted by humans in a controlled, tightly regulated fashion.

Fact: Over time, non-hunted bear populations become day-active, bolder and more aggressive towards people.

For this reason alone, I support the controlled - strictly regulated - hunting of Grizzly bears here in BC.

Bears are highly intelligent and easily become habituated towards humans and sows teach their cubs to either run-like-hell from humans, or, go check'em out and you'll likely get a reward (food).

People also need to do their part to minimize bear-human conflict by being more responsible while recreating in bear-country. Don't leave garbage out where they can get it, keep a clean-camp with your meat hung-high etc.

For what it's worth, I figure there are valid arguments on both sides of the Grizzly hunt fracus.

Personally, I suffer no compulsion to kill anything for the sake of hanging its hide on the wall, yet hunting remains one of my lifes greatest passions.

However, it bears (ha-ha) repeating that there is another important aspect concerning the hunting of Grizzly/Black bears that the bear-huggers don't want the public to know about while they are asking for donations to build their war-chest: it's about bear-human conflict.

I have read enough credible scientific study data from people who've studied bear behaviour & bear/human conflict (Shelton, Dr. Herrero etc.) who've seen first hand what horrific bear-attacks can do to humans, that I'm firmly in the camp that bears should continue to be hunted by humans in a controlled, tightly regulated fashion.

Fact: Over time, non-hunted bear populations become day-active, bolder and more aggressive towards people.

For this reason alone, I support the controlled - strictly regulated - hunting of Grizzly bears here in BC.

Bears are highly intelligent and easily become habituated towards humans and sows teach their cubs to either run-like-hell from humans, or, go check'em out and you'll likely get a reward (food).

People also need to do their part to minimize bear-human conflict by being more responsible while recreating in bear-country. Don't leave garbage out where they can get it, keep a clean-camp with your meat hung-high etc.

Great post Little Hawk. I support the controlled and strictly regulated hunting of Grizzly bears here in B.C. as well for reasons you posted. I wonder how controlled and regulated the bear viewing tour industry is? IMO they do more harm than good. Training bears to not fear boat loads of people near beaches is just not a healthy situation for both the bears and the people.

I knew someone would make the comparison. Hell no I wouldnt throw back a 30lb salmon. Would I throw back a 80 pound 'trophy' salmon like the guy earlier this year?, hell yes. Would you? Im guessing yes but I may be wrong. I am not against food hunters in the least just trophy hunters. I think bears esp grizzles are fricken cool as hell same with cougars, dont think its cool they get hunted for sport.

I know its usually considered the biggest but I consider a trophy kill someone who dosnt necessary need or want the meat they just want to kill that type of specific animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish stalker you have made your statement and I agree with it but " Divided we fall, United we stand". The anti-hunters will not stop at the bear hunts, they will go for all of it. Better a managed control than no control.
I do not hunt bears, but I want them to know that I am also an "Apex" hunter and will not go down as food.

Every time we go fishing or hunting we are all looking for a trophy thats why we do it and if you say otherwise ill call BS sorry its the truth .
EVERYTHING in the outdoors is super cool thats why we enjoy the wild areas!!!! Reguated hunting will not and is not going to hurt it thats why there is a LEH system in place ,do you think seals are super cool who take your salmon?? or wipe out a river system that people worked hard on getting it back??? just saying....
All one has to look at is manitoba and them closing the spring season, now there are bears coming into towns and communities but I guess thats what they want until a bear get someones "fluffy" for a snack.

I knew someone would make the comparison. Hell no I wouldnt throw back a 30lb salmon. Would I throw back a 80 pound 'trophy' salmon like the guy earlier this year?, hell yes. Would you? Im guessing yes but I may be wrong. I am not against food hunters in the least just trophy hunters. I think bears esp grizzles are fricken cool as hell same with cougars, dont think its cool they get hunted for sport.

I know its usually considered the biggest but I consider a trophy kill someone who dosnt necessary need or want the meat they just want to kill that type of specific animal.

Fish Stalker

While I do agree with some of your statement, especially about Grizz and they are cool to see and watch. I will state that although I have lost my urge to hunt them anymore, every kill I have been on, we pack out the hinds and backstraps (fronts are too shot up to salvage). Smoked bear hinds and burger is awesome, and the straps are tasty!!! You mention Cougar, to me that is my third fav meat, after Mt sheep and elk/moose.

And for what it is worth, the CO's, highways and trains kill more grizz that hunters do. It might be trophy hunting to some people, but to most it is just hunting.....no different than heading out, dragging that big 7" plug and hoping for that tyee or bigger to take picts of and show your friends. Your hunting for the big one.

As someone else stated, "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL". As hunters we have to support all types of hunting (except canned hunts.....but we won't go there), we cannot afford to bad mouth grizz hunting just because you don't agree with it.

Cheers

SS

I personally hunt alot for food. I have not ever hunted for grizz, i had 2 shot one in an encounter 2 years ago, but dont target them. My 2 cents is that when they shut the grizz hunt down a few years ago the numbers fell apart a bit, and rather than man harvesting sustainable numbers to keep things in check, there was no harvesting at all. It occurs to me that the amount of younger boars competing for range and food has increased and therefore there range seems to be expanding, to places where they had not been before. I think hunting does a good job of keeping the numbers in check.

Not a hunter anymore, maybe in the future. I'm on the against it side. I would prefer to see a few billion humans gone to put things back into balance. If you want to start that process with a few fanatical anti-hunters that would be fine by me. ;)

I'm not against hunting for meat to feed the family, but i just can't see killing a beautiful animal
like a Grizzly to hang a rug on the wall.
It can't be related to catching a trophy fish as the fish could be released, as many are...
A dead bear can't be released.

Back