Penn Fathom Master

bigredsnapper

Just got a new boat with Penn Fathom master electric downriggers with 48" boom.I've always ran Scotty's and have no complaints.Any input as to which is better would be great and what are the Penn's worth?

Ew penns. Keep your flashers hooked up to your rods to when you run and let them flap in the wind. Then you will look real cool :D

ive heard the new pennsare great.. not very popular around here though.
These are the ones you can hook up with humminbird depthsounders and keep your lines X number of feet off bottom right?

I have manual ones that came with my boat and i love them

Hey Ned, I think your'e confused with Canon. These Penns are rigged to also be controlled from the helm.Would come in handy for solo fishing or at least good for messin with your buds(FISH ON....NOT!!!)

I've ran boats that had penns onboard. Never had any issues with them.

Take only what you need.

Used the old manual Penns they were stellar units didn't like the 300# cable they came with though. [xx(]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

I used Penn Electics on my father inlaw's boat up until last year. Great downriggers. Parts can be bought when needed from Mike's reel repair in Vancouver.
Advantage to the Scotty is warranty, service, accessories and wear parts available everywhere and lower profile on the boat. Scottys are also quieter.

Tips

Greg i see them in the buy/sell for the same as electric scotties(250ish) but probaly a bit harder to sell as most guys want scotties. If i were you i would stick with scotties their warranties and service are unreal

Hey Kelly, I love my scotty's plus Bushy takes them in for me every three months for a tune up. It's just that these are rigged to also go up and down from the helm which could be a neat feature for solo. I don't know if I'll be sitting at the back or hooking up the two to steer from the helm.It's already rigged for that. The father-in-law is comin over on Sunday to check the motor and leg and I'll figure the rest from there.BRS

Well all is good so far, the tilt trim on the leg works as well as the trim tabs. Gotta pull off the starter and alt and get a coil and fire it up. Could be rockin for Winter Harbour.BRS.

Back