Oyster Closure

a few people i know got hit hard with it at the tofino oyster fest in november.. yuk!

unfortunately probably a sign of things to come. can't keep treating the environment the way we have been and expect healthy organisms...

My neighbour got quite sick in December, she had eaten some raw oysters at a party the night before. She brushed it off as a bad flu as she was sick for about 3 days but maybe this was it. She thinks the oysters she consumed came from the Fanny Bay area and initial reports suggested the oysters that caused problems were from the Tofino which caused her to believe she hadn't eaten bad oysters. She'll never know now, the sickness is gone.

I used to love raw oysters. But after getting hit with Vibrio one May after eating some Denman Island oysters, I now cook them. Unfortunately there appears to be a number of bacteria strains that oysters can carry.

Yes-- cooking does not prevent PSP poisoning.. Soooo. make sure when you check the DFO website , that you look at both PSP etc closures and sewage contamination notices.

I'm with you Cuba, I got it last time I ate raw oysters. I dont know if it was noro or vibro but it was VIOLENT! I became very familiar with my American Standard.

Interesting that this is happening over the winter season. Less tourists and boats around, and lower water temps should make for less favourable conditions for bacteria. I would have thought this would indicate an effluent leak somewhere near a commercial operation, but the outbreak appears to be more widespread.

Interestingly enough, my wife who seemingly never eats oysters ordered them last night at a restaurant in Victoria. I just called her this morning after reading about it and asked how she was feeling. She said she feels great, "why?". I said, 'no reason'. I didn't want the power of suggestion to get in her head as she has business meetings all day there today before jumping on the ferry back to Vancouver. Can't have her go through her day with thoughts of food poisoning rattling around.

Back