Outboards versus I/Os

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Go down to any well stocked marina with a lot of guides, and ask the outboard guys how often they have to replace alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps, solenoids, leg bellows and risers. Then, assuming you can find a guy who uses his boat a lot with a stern drive, ask him the same thing.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Ya, and then ask the outboard guys how often they replace the entire outboard. And at what cost.

I can rebuild my 350 chevy for 2 - 3000 dollars - how much to replace that 250 Honda or Yamaha? $25 - $30,000 ?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Go down to any well stocked marina with a lot of guides, and ask the outboard guys how often they have to replace alternators, water pumps, power steering pumps, solenoids, leg bellows and risers. Then, assuming you can find a guy who uses his boat a lot with a stern drive, ask him the same thing.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Ya, and then ask the outboard guys how often they replace the entire outboard. And at what cost.

I can rebuild my 350 chevy for 2 - 3000 dollars - how much to replace that 250 Honda or Yamaha? $25 - $30,000 ?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

A 250 Yam is around 18 grand, and can be swapped in a day, assuming you have one already and it blows. Yes, there is considerable cost in converting over if you don't have one already. And I only know one guy who has replaced a modern 4 stroke who has had to replace it out of it going boom, this is out of around 60 operators who run their boats for charter business. We're not including the smokey, loud fuel hungrey outboards of 15 years ago here.

A modern outboard ought to give you near 4000 hours of service. I know of a few with over 2000 hours on them in Renfrew, they have done impellers once, and one injector. That's it, just put oil in it, and change the Racor's when they get so full of water that the boat quits (Not my boat!). The boat gets run full time.

I'm willing to bet that by that time with a typical stern drive setup (Based on the ones I ran years ago), there will have been at LEAST a couple of sets of manifolds, a few starters, and probably a stern drive surprise in that time. With an outboard, everything is high and dry, not sitting in a humid bilge. This will get around things like having altenators and starters getting wiped. Last, but not least, for the most part, your outboard is all aluminium, meaning that you will have much less in the way of dis-similar metals in the water at any time. An outboard, in my experience with the units that I have run, and several guys I fish with, will give you a nice long service life, then gracefully explode and save you the trouble of nickle and diming you over the course of it's life (10-15 years). You can then buy a powerhead for it and bolt it on for near the same money as rebuilding a small chev, there are plenty of two stroke heads out there for sale, a V-6 is around $3500. Probably a little early to price a four stroke head (Don't see a lot of them for sale), but SG figured around 3 grand for a ring and gut kit, plus the time to make it happen. This assumes that everything else is in great shape on the rig.

Last, but not least, by the time a good ol' Chev 350 engine has worn out, what likelihood is there that the rest of the stuff bolted to it is really serviceable? I'm willing to bet that several sets of risers and Y pipes will have been done, and at least a gimble joint if not the whole stern drive.

There are going to be exceptions to every rule from pure luck to guys who are very good at maintaining their stuff, but as the fleet where I fish evolves, there are two, (which will probably be one by the spring), full time guide boats with stern drive setups. And they BOTH lost days to silly, nit-picky problems that you just don't see or hear a lot about on the outboard end of things.

My $0.02, not meaning to start a war here!

www.swiftsurebank.com

Im with you on this Jim before I had an outboard I ran nothing but inboards, im still not sure about them me personally give me a socket set and screwdrivers and I can fix a ford or chevy with no problem there is a lot of 30 plus year old boats with inboards still going strong out there cant say the same for outboards I know of 5 charter guys last year that there main blew and i wont name the brands,
Yes there is a bit more matenence with inboards but can easily be done its called preventive matenence once you have a program in place it is very very easy had no problem with mine for years you just have to look after your investment it doesnt matter if it is an outboard OR an inboard.

MY 2 CENTS LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I've got an older 302, probably 1975 vintage. Very simple motor. 2 barrel carb, no electronics to cause potential headaches. Had the heads rebuilt in '02 but other than that I think the rest of the motor is original. I've owned the boat since '01. The total amount of hours is unknown.
I would say for the average "Joe" who is somewhat mechanically inclined these types of motors are very simple to fix and maintain. Now I don't know if you can say the same for a newer I/O that is full of computer controlled stuff and fuel injection, etc. And these new four strokes and 2 strokes I would guess are far too complex for the average "Joe"
It seems there is a mystique out there that the new 4 stroke outboards are "all that"
Up at Englefied Lodge in '07 they were running 70 hp four stroke mercs. In '08 they switched to 70hp 2 stroke mercs. They were blowing the oil pumps constantly in the 4 strokes. Design flaw, probably.
Talking with a good friend who is a marine mechanic says these 4 stroke outboards aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread. They like to cook those valves.

Just my 2 cents

Last fall I picked up an older Sangster cuddy. It was in such good shape and dry that I could not pass it up.
It has a 302 4bbl and a Volvo leg. It was sitting so long that the carb was pooched. I now know it is almost impossible to buy a replacement Holley marine carb. Luckily there is a guy that does the job in Vancouver, $400 and that is cheap, and he does a fantastic job.
As well the ignition is electronic. I would be wary of points and condenser in this environment.
That all said I discussed podding the boat and strapping on an o/b. My mech buddy said that would be expensive and not really worth it as, Volvo legs are easy to fix if/when they ever break down and V8s are dime-a-dozen now. And easily replaced.
But... probably not the best situation in a guiding situation when you got to stay in the water. Plus everybody in Ukee are running Zukes. Gotta be something in that.

Back