Opinions on Yamaha 150 HPDI

fishproof

I was thinking about repowering my 18.5 Striper. I am running a 1996 115 Johnson. I was looking at a new, non-current 150 Yamaha HPDI 2 stroke. The price is quite a bit cheaper than the 150 Yam 4 stroke and the 150 Merc Optimax. I was hoping someone has some advice that has one. I did have my heart set on either the Opti or the 4 stroke Yammi. The HPDI is a 2006. Thanks

there were a few problems with early ones (2006 is NOT early) and it was especially in the 250-300 motors. GREAT motors, just make sure water doesnt get into the fuel (good fuel/water seperator filter) HPDI injectors dont like water coming in.
These are runner ups with opti's and etecs.

You can't beat the HP to weight of a 2 stroke...lots more top end than a 4 stroke and quicker out of the hole. Fuel consumption is not enough more to worry about, put the savings over the cost of a new 4 stroke in your pocket. I prefer the older carbed engines to the HDPI as they are easier to work on yourself. I still run carbed 2 stroke Yami's and have saved 20K in the process.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

You can't beat the HP to weight of a 2 stroke...lots more top end than a 4 stroke and quicker out of the hole. Fuel consumption is not enough more to worry about, put the savings over the cost of a new 4 stroke in your pocket. I prefer the older carbed engines to the HDPI as they are easier to work on yourself. I still run carbed 2 stroke Yami's and have saved 20K in the process.

The hpdi's are actually more fuel efficient than 4 strokes in MANY applications (more true as hp and boat size increases) as are most of the new fuel injected 2-strokes

I have a 150 HPDI on my 18.5 Double Eagle. I purchased the boat and engine from the orginal owner, both are 2004 and now have approx 250 hrs on the 150. I have had no problems with the engine since acquiring the boat and do the usual servicing and have a water separator/filter that gets changed annually. The boat goes like a scalded cat, lots of grunt out the hole, cruise around 28-30 mph at 3000 rpm, tops out around 48-50 mph. More power than the boat needs. My friend has a 18.5 Striper and a 150 Yammi 4 stroke and his engine is quieter, slightly better fuel economy, and seems slower out of the hole. Resale will be better with the 4 stroke; however, the 2 stroke HPDI is a brute and will serve you well. Email me if you want more info.

The hpdi's are actually more fuel efficient than 4 strokes in MANY applications (more true as hp and boat size increases) as are most of the new fuel injected 2-strokes
[/quote]

Where did you hear that?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I agree, was never a fuel injected 2 stroke fan for long engine life. It only takes a slight bit of neglect or a bad injector to cause a lean out situation and a toasted power head...but 4 strokes also require a bit of regular maintenance as well to keep them humming for years of reliable service. I still say the most forgiving and easy to work on yourself is the carbed 2 stroke. Yami's being my first choice.

A lot of positives on this motor. Sounds like it might be something to think about. ($4000'ish savings) Thanks for all the advice. The dealer told me a guy in Victoria or Sooke put a couple on his boat, and is very happy so far. The 115 Johnson is getting close 1300hrs. I am starting to doubt it. It is really fussy to start on cold days. Plus I dont think i will miss the smoke! I am sure the new Yam 2 stroke is a lot cleaner.

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

the 2 stroke HPDI is a brute and will serve you well.

I dont agree with that either.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!
[/quote]

Look up the boat tests and reports on yamahas website, nearly every larger boat with larger hp hpdi's have better mileage (if they are still on there, not sure if they only host 4-stroke reports now) its fact, not rumor.
Just another point on the HPDI's, i was in renfrew this summer talking to a guy about the new fuel injected 2-strokes (a guide to boot) when a boat with a 150 yamaha pulled up to the dock, and he pointed at it and said, see how quiet those new 4strokes are - needless to say i walked away with 5$ after we walked over and i showed him it was an hpdi.

From Etec (biased of course, but you get the idea):
Abbreviations: EPA, Environmental Protection Agency. CARB, California Air Resource Board. EU, European Union.

Myth #1: The 2006 EPA and EU legislation makes 2-stroks illegal.

Fact #1: There is nothing either in the EPA, CARB or EU outboard emissions legislation that will ban the use of any outboard motor on any waterway. EPA, CARB and EU do set limits for engines to be sold by the effected date of legislation. The legislation enacted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and The California Air Resource Board (CARB) as well as EU Recreational craft directive REGULATE EMISSIONS AND NOT TECHNOLOGIES.

Myth #2: The EPA and EU legislation makes the sale and use of 2-stroke outboards illegal after 2006

Fact #2: Outboard manufacturers are required to comply with U.S. EPA legislation through a corporate average. Any existing outboard model and its technology sold to the end user prior to the effective date can be used beyond 2006 under both EPA and EU legislations. No outboard brand or technology will be outlawed!

Myth #3: 4-stroke outboards achieve the best fuel economy.

Fact #3: Both 4-stroke and direct injection technologies achieve high levels of fuel economy. In fact, recent magazine tests have shown that direct injection outboards actually achieve higher levels of fuel economy and efficiency than the same horsepower 4-stroke model!!

Myth #4: 4-stroke outboards are cleanest available.

Fact #4: 4-stroke and direct injection outboards are extremely clean technologies. 4-stroke models tend to have a slight advantage in the hydrocarbons (HC) category, while direct injection models tend to have the advantage in the carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) categories Both technologies comply with U.S. EPA 2006, EU 2006 and CARB 2-star and 3-star ratings depending on the model.

Myth #5: The CARB STAR ratings apply world-wide.

Fact #5: The CARB STAR rating applies only to outboards sold in the US State of California and has nothing to do with the EPA or EU 2006 / 2005 Recreational Craft Directive.

Myth #6: Only the 4-stroke technology can achieve the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3 STAR Ultra Low Emissions certification.

Fact #6: There are CARB 3 STAR certified direct injection outboards being sold today including the Evinrude E-Tec engines

Myth #7: 4-stroke outboards are the lowest maintenance outboards.

Fact #7: Today's 4-stroke and direct injection outboards are both low maintenance products compared to what was available in the industry ten or more years ago. Unlike 4-stroke outboards, Evinrude outboards with direct injection and Evinrude E-Tec outboards have no valves to adjust, no crankcase oil that needs changed, no timing belts or chains that require replacement. This equates to more time on the water for the customer and lower maintenance costs over the engine's life.

Myth #8: 4-stroke technology makes more torque than other outboard technologies.

Fact #8: While most 4-stroke outboards perform at acceptable levels, when comparing equal displacement engines, 4-strokes develop significantly LESS torque at the same RPM than competitive technologies. This is due to the inherent nature of the technology. A 4-stroke makes a power stroke every other revolution of the crankshaft while 2-stroke and direct injection technologies make a power stroke every revolution.

Myth #9: 4-stroke outboards do not consume oil.

Fact #9: According to Southwest Research Institute, a Government approved emissions testing lab, a competitors 115hp 4-stroke outboard engine consumed 4.9 quarts of oil in 100 hours of testing. The oil capacity of the engine is only 4.8 quarts.

Myth #10: 2-stroke outboards expel oil directly into the environment.

Fact #10: The oil in a direct injection outboard is combusted in the cylinder the same way the fuel is and is accounted for already in its emission rating, while 4-strokes need to dispose of the used oil in the crankcase at the time of service.

Im not gonna search around the net tryin to find stuff to copy and paste. Ive seen a number of the hpdi's fail,and not as many 4 stks. Im only going by what Ive seen. Im not knocking Yamahas, just the hpdi's..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back