opinions on new boat

demco99

Am thinking of upgrading from my 1998 18' BW Outrage to something we can do overnight trips on.. Found this tank and went to see it on Monday, looked solid. From my research it seems to be a pretty rare whaler hull with only a few hundred ever produced. Would love to hear your guys thoughts on this rig.. cheers

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4050668169.html

some discussion on it here:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005857.html

I have more pics as well if you guys want to see them. Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't think walks rounds are ideal. Rarely used feature that eats up valuable cabin space. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the input Dave.. What makes/models would you recommend for stepping up from my current rig to something capable of overnight/weekend cruising?

I'm Biased but if you are looking at whaler, seasport etc I sure wouldn't pass up an Orca if it came my way and the price was right!!

I had a BW Outrage many years 13-14 years ago, so.... I know the issues pros and cons of that model. I hated the small aft cockpit, liked the easy walkaround forward, loved the open air at time, and hated the open air other times. I moved to a Pursuit 2150 DC that was a bow rider with big water capability and a large cockpit. I now have a Pursuit 2470 WA and love the huge cockpit (4 x area of the 18' outrage) and having a cabin to use for among other things: a) one of fishing party wants a break out of the sun/nap, b) store lots of stuff (raingear, tools, extra fishing gear not currently used, c) room for 2 people to sleep. I know some like the enclosed cabin aspect, but such typically has less "walk around" ability, and is less "outside" which for winter fishing would be desirable.

Don't forget your budget also, and that every boat is a compromise in some way or another.

good luck. DAJ

I have had a ton of boats and I think having a hardtop and a cuddy are the only way to go!! On most salmon trip there is almost always someone having a nap in the cuddy!

The walkaround / no walkaround discussion is an interesting one and every boat owner's situation will be different. We have had a Grady for 6 years and I am thankful almost every time out for the additional safety the walkaround provides for both my wife and I when we move around the boat when either docking or fishing. I have wished for more cabin space on the very occasion and only for storage purposes ... the most important things in the cabin for us are: storage, a fridge and a stand up bathroom for her). Having said that, we use the boat almost exclusively for fishing and transportation ... accommodation on land (vs. the boat) is a marriage saver in my case and the installation of a diesel heater for the cockpit and cabin has also helped to increase the year round usability of the boat for us.

Demco, do you plan to fish Tuna? If so go twins, if not, way more risk on the maintenance side. Also in BC I'm a firm believer that hardtops are essential. I had a 22 ft center console proir to my 228G and although I luv cc's, cuddy walk around is the way to go. Not sure about all the comments, but, I use my walk around ALL the time. Docking, fighting fish and it makes it easier to clean it. I think for $46K you can find a newer boat. Also, trailering a 9'6" beam isn't an easy task if u plan to trailer.

Have you looked at a c-dory? Just bought one this year and love it. For overnight trips its, creature comforst and fuel economy I think its the ultimate, but the compromise is deffinately speed. Worth a look if you think you would get the use out of it, we sure love it after upgrading from our old 18 double eagle.

Yak

Nick......Pescador does have it right in that you could find something newer for that price. I didn't look at the price when you sent me the original link.

Demco,

I'm a Whaler guy, have owned 4 over the years and absolutely love them. That 1990-25" walk around is a decent boat, but I was never a big fan of that transom design, and Pippen is right about the price, its definitely a bit steep for what your getting.

If you can't find a Whaler then I'd look at a Pursuit as well. I'd take my time and see what comes up over the next few months, people are going to be selling of there used boats in order to buy a newer one for next year and there should be some deals to be had if your patient.

Cheer FN

Nick
I thought it was a bit pricey when you sent me the link now you have 4 others concurring that, I missed the soft top on it too
I think you will want a hardtop for sure, keeps you alot drier and warmer in the winter months around here
I know you like the BW but for that money theres lots of decent Gradys around too but i am partial to them, cant beat the ride of the 98 and newer SeaV2 hulls.
you know where my gulfstreams moored feel free to go climb on it and have a look to get an idea of what they are like, (ya ya I know I still have to take you out and show you how to catch fish lol)
the 9' beam is really nice and yes towing is a little different, no big deal if your use to it but you do need a 20$ permit each time you move it or you can purchase
a 1 month at a time permit for 30$,
I dont see a trailer with that package either, something I forgot to mention to you is with mine I had a newish trailer included in the price I got it for, nice to have even if you only use it a couple times a year. I'd look to the south if it were me
lots of good deals to be had down there, if you go deep south I have a couple contacts for transport if you dont do it yourself
lots of good advice from other members in the thread to consider as well

Last edited by a moderator:
The walkaround / no walkaround discussion is an interesting one and every boat owner's situation will be different. We have had a Grady for 6 years and I am thankful almost every time out for the additional safety the walkaround provides for both my wife and I when we move around the boat when either docking or fishing. I have wished for more cabin space on the very occasion and only for storage purposes ... the most important things in the cabin for us are: storage, a fridge and a stand up bathroom for her). Having said that, we use the boat almost exclusively for fishing and transportation ... accommodation on land (vs. the boat) is a marriage saver in my case and the installation of a diesel heater for the cockpit and cabin has also helped to increase the year round usability of the boat for us.

I would love to purchase accommodation on land at some point(ie. a cabin) but not in the cards for me at this point(no marriage to save yet either). Good to see some people appreciate a full walk-around, as I like to use my current rig for flyfishing/casting as I find trolling pretty damn boring although it puts slabs in the tub..

Going to take this BW 25' for a cruise tomorrow after work, seems like a cool boat as it's a very rare whaler hull.. I'm not one to waste money either though so will look south of the border. I found the same hull with much older power for 35lk in Texas although it did have a hardtop.. Seems like less value when you factor in shipping etc:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Boston-Whaler-25-Walk-Around-2600212/Rockport/TX/United-States

Demco, do you plan to fish Tuna? If so go twins, if not, way more risk on the maintenance side. Also in BC I'm a firm believer that hardtops are essential. I had a 22 ft center console proir to my 228G and although I luv cc's, cuddy walk around is the way to go. Not sure about all the comments, but, I use my walk around ALL the time. Docking, fighting fish and it makes it easier to clean it. I think for $46K you can find a newer boat. Also, trailering a 9'6" beam isn't an easy task if u plan to trailer.

Thanks Pescador.. No I don't plan on fishing Tuna. How could I power this size of hull without twins? I have a big fiberglass T-top on my 18' outrage and would love to know why you think hardtops are essential. It seems like it would be nice to ride with the softtop down now than I'm stepping up into a boat with an enclosed cabin. It's hard enough to convince friends to come with when it's hot & sunny, rarely go out in rain/cold due to lack of companions..

Nick
I thought it was a bit pricey when you sent me the link now you have 4 others concurring that, I missed the soft top on it too
I think you will want a hardtop for sure, keeps you alot drier and warmer in the winter months around here
I know you like the BW but for that money theres lots of decent Gradys around too but i am partial to them, cant beat the ride of the 98 and newer SeaV2 hulls.
you know where my gulfstreams moored feel free to go climb on it and have a look to get an idea of what they are like, (ya ya I know I still have to take you out and show you how to catch fish lol)
the 9' beam is really nice and yes towing is a little different, no big deal if your use to it but you do need a 20$ permit each time you move it or you can purchase
a 1 month at a time permit for 30$,
I dont see a trailer with that package either, something I forgot to mention to you is with mine I had a newish trailer included in the price I got it for, nice to have even if you only use it a couple times a year. I'd look to the south if it were me
lots of good deals to be had down there, if you go deep south I have a couple contacts for transport if you dont do it yourself
lots of good advice from other members in the thread to consider as well

Won't need a trailer, I bought my current 18' w/ a trailer with dreams of taking it over to the island but never happened due to time/money constraints.. Please send me links to these 'decent gradys' that are around for this price because I haven't seen any!

Owed the same vintage 27 WA whaler, very stable fishing platform once your on the grounds. The whaler smile makes her all but impossible to bury the bow. The downside she pounded in all but the flatest water, was designed with one thing in mind fishing. Wiring on the whalers is very complicated, they use snap together plastic plugs which tend to corrode and make chasing demons all but impossible. The 27 I had originally came with a pair of 275 cosworth OB's which made her fast, 40 knot cruise all day long.(160 liters /hour) Repowered her with 250 opti's slower cruise but 1/3 the fuel burn. All around very solid hulls which are unsinkable. Cockpit scuppers tend to take what ever water hits the back deck fore ver to drain.

Won't need a trailer, I bought my current 18' w/ a trailer with dreams of taking it over to the island but never happened due to time/money constraints.. Please send me links to these 'decent gradys' that are around for this price because I haven't seen any!
did you have someone do your homework for you too:rolleyes:
Here are a couple to start

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-Grady-White-Sailfish-272-362143

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-Grady-White-232-Gulf-Stream-102096310

heres a whole bunch try to stay 98 and newer thats when they went to Seav2 hull design
add 3500-4000 for transport up here from deep south or eastern seaboard, when your ready call me and I'll line you up with a couple great transport guys that did mine and J's

http://www.boattrader.com/browse/saltwater-fishing-boats/make/grady%20white/Page-2/ViewType-default/SortBy-year.asc/PerPage-80

Just found this I thought all SeaV2's started in 98, apparently not see C&P below

1. What year did Grady White start building the SV2 Hull?

The SeaV2 hull design was implemented on Grady-White boats in the following sizes and years:
28 ft............1989
26 ft............1991
22-25 ft.......1992
208-209......1993

2. What is the Sea V2 hull?

A Continuously Variable Vee Means Soft and Stable
A SeaV2 hull design has no two places on the keel where the deadrise is the same. The vee continuously sharpens from the transom to the bow stem. A SeaV2 hull design with 20 degrees of deadrise at the transom will have around 30 degrees amidships--more than even the most radical older deep vee designs. The deeper vee forward means a softer ride at sea. Less vee at the transom coupled with wide chines provide stability at rest and when trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
as emailed to me .....................Hi Buddy, as promised. Sorry for the delay. I was tied up looking for a place to live ;}

2007 23ft Campion Explorer 602CC cw. Pump out head under center consul, pump out live wells, dual batteries, waterproof stereo, fill ins for sun lounge up bow, removable ski bar,
full winter cover, self-bailing hull, rod holders
2007 Evinrude Etec 225HP Saltwater Edition 105 Hrs Warranty until mid-2014 (Serviced at Lordship Marine) Service every three years or 100 hrs. Service done this June or 5 hours ago.
Self-winterizing in approx. 3 min. SS Prop and spare aluminum (stock).
2007 galvanized EZ Loader Trailer, sealed oil bearings, brake flushing system, approx. 300klm since new.

Blair, I will include Fenders, Ropes, inflatable life jackets, life jackets, anchor and line etc etc. It will be a turnkey. My absolute bottom line Bottom Bottom no negotiating is $25,000. I have all receipts etc that shows it all at over $70,000 in 07. Let me know if anyone interested. Great ocean boat. I would recommend for fishing to add the Bimini top. I priced it out (yes still available) at approx. $900 installed with rod holders.
Sorry, I thought I had a picture????
Take care, Peter.

this is a good bud of mine,, his nickname is pinesol pete... this boat is in superb condition...:cool:

Back