Okanagan lake is finally starting to pick up.

Doug, what kind of boat were you in?[/QUOTE]

We were in a white and green, Skagi Orca XLC 24' with a outboard Yam 300 on a pod.
The boat that is shown on our web site.
Our fish came on a old witch doctor plug at 30 ' at 0815

Ya I was fish south near squally point in the fish rite boa I saw you out there I think. There were a couple of campion boats there

Doug, what kind of boat were you in?

We were in a white and green, Skagi Orca XLC 24' with a outboard Yam 300 on a pod.
The boat that is shown on our web site.
Our fish came on a old witch doctor plug at 30 ' at 0815[/QUOTE]

We were in my 18' Hewescraft, we fished the North close to "Bird **** Island" we had the first fish in the boat by 5:45

We launched out at Coral Beach, the only ones who did (no locked gates) we wanted to be on the water by 4:30 but I slept in and screwed it up

Ya we left oliver at 3:50am were on the water at 435am way to early for trout fishing!!

Sassy is that a statement or a question? Kokanee fish is improving on Okanagan lake forsure maybe not red hot but the world record Kokanee came from Okanagan lake. 9lbs I believe

Kokanee fishing was closed in 1995. In recent years they reopened the fishery believing that the Kokanee stocks have recovered enough to maintain an open season without threatening extinction.

With the Kokanee now closed to fishing on Woods Lake I think there will be too much fishing pressure put on the Kokanee stocks in Okanagan Lake, with a 5 fish limit it is only a matter of time before they are in trouble again.

The new world record Kokanee was caught in a lake in the US I believe

Ya I guess that is the new record the Okanagan lake fish was over 9lbs also. The Kokanee fishing is improving now. The mysis shrimp they put in the lake killed most of the population.

Ya I guess that is the new record the Okanagan lake fish was over 9lbs also. The Kokanee fishing is improving now. The mysis shrimp they put in the lake killed most of the population.

That and years and years of excessive catch limits, along with poor timing in dropping the water level of the lake resulting in killing of the shore spawners eggs

Those of us who grew up here seen the irrigation ditches full of Kokanee in the late 60s early 70s, Mission Creek was red during spawning them years

Ya and deep creek in peachland. I think the majority are shore spawners now.

I think they reoppened the lake to Kokanee fishing to soon, and should maybe reduce the Kokanee catch limits to 2-3 fish

Keep it closed until the trout fishing improves!

I think the people in power jumped the gun and opened the Kokanee fishing too soon, they should have waited through another full spawning cycle.

Waiting through another spawning cycle would have given the trout in the lake a chance to more fully take advantage of an improved Kokanee popuation without competing with fishermen, unfortunately I think the powers that be were under pressure from campsite ownwers and sporting goods stores etc.

What we need is Kokanee stocking program in Okanagan Lake and the sooner the better

Yes in the kootenays they have a lot of funding by bc hydro or fortis from all the dams. They fertilize the lake I believe they use nitrogen this help the plankton that the baby Kokanee eat. But they have a lot of bucks to spend wish we did too. Also if they build the last 2 fish laders and get the sockeye back in the lake, this will also help the trout fishing big time. Both quesnel lake and Shuswap have lots of salmon fry for the Bows to eat.

Back