OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishing thrasher. 9 lber in the box 150' on green spackle back hootchie. A few unders. Water is great.

Trolled Hump from Gibsons back down towards Van on Sunday afternoon. A couple undersize to start with and then nothing until 4:30pm, working a tidal line way south of the other boats hit a nice 15lb marble - 140ft on anchovy. Had another pop the clip going back over the same spot, but did not stick. Nice to see somewhat larger fish showing up.

Fishing thrasher. 9 lber in the box 150' on green spackle back hootchie. A few unders. Water is great.
Of course the water looked great on Monday because I was working. But I feel another May trip to Thrasher coming on asap! I wanted to stay over night on the 13th but Silva Bay Inn is booked up for that weekend.

Fished HITW friday from 6am till 1 pm. Started with anchovies on one side and a gibbs skinny G on the other side.. Not a sniff on the anchovy, lots of action on the skinny G... had 13 undersized, 3 keepers 9-10 lbs... Fished HITW sunday 6am till 11am this time Skinny G's on both sides lots of action mostly undersized except one 9lb keeper.. Left at 11am saw about 20 boats at the bellboy so we stopped and dropped our lines and got a keeper within 90 seconds on the Skinny G. The pic below are the Gibbs Skinny G lures that we used.. the one on the right was the best producer. Best price i've found for these is Army & navy for $6.49
Skinny G.PNG

Did a very quick fish last night at the Bell as we had run the boat over to Lion's gate to get a fuel filter issue looked at.

It was lumpy and we had the Bell to ourselves.o_O

Had no takers on a variety of spoons.....dropped a purple haze/splatterback hoochie and had one just barely undersized take it right away at 77' in about 110 of water. That hoochie was the only thing we had action on with a few cod and another bigger fish that hit VERY well but didn't stick. Only fished about 90 minutes or so as the weather was moving in and we certainly weren't dressed for it! :confused:

Going to be out Friday for a full day fish....waiting to see on the wind forecast tomorrow but may make a run to Thrasher if it looks favourable. Wind forecast is all over the place between WindyTy, Env Can, and just the Weather Network so will decide later day tomorrow. Regardless we'll be somewhere whether it be Thrasher, the Hump, HITW or the Bell area. ;)

i had a few spare hours last night so i hit up HITW. noticed a float in 800ft of water, called the number and was able to arrange the return two square traps to a guy named grant from bowen island.

no bites to show for my efforts but enjoyed a few drinks

What size are you using?

Couple springs we bonked at thrasher were filled with 5 1/2" herring

Hi Canso the Gibbs skinny G we were using was a 3", the weight was a 1/4 oz or 7 grams... After looking at the spoons i noticed that even tho they looked the same i mistakenly bought some Needle G in addition to the Skinny G they look exactly the same but the Needle G is twice the weight. When we were fishing the Skinny G got 3 times the action the Needle G did. Even tho the colors were off by one black stripe.. ( Trap Shack vs. Irish Cream) .. Now that i've had luck with it and loaded up on the spoons they probably wont work again.

upload_2016-5-4_13-45-22.png

i had a few spare hours last night so i hit up HITW. noticed a float in 800ft of water, called the number and was able to arrange the return two square traps to a guy named grant from bowen island.

no bites to show for my efforts but enjoyed a few drinks
Good job bud i have had 4 crab traps and 2 prawns traps either lost or stolen and waiting for that call also lol Karma will pay you visit soon and reward ya with a fish or two!!

Got out briefly this afternoon off northside Keats, marked lots of bait balls but no hits. Got three keeper dungees and a dozen or so prawns still trying to chisel my prawning game though got some proper prawn pellets instead of herring now so we'll see I'll see how that does. Gotta get me some of those skinny g's it sounds!

Got out briefly this afternoon off northside Keats, marked lots of bait balls but no hits. Got three keeper dungees and a dozen or so prawns still trying to chisel my prawning game though got some proper prawn pellets instead of herring now so we'll see I'll see how that does. Gotta get me some of those skinny g's it sounds!
We used the pellets but we foumd that a can of sardines in oil and a can of pink salmon worked the best !

HITW is inundated with schools of 3-4" anchovies right now. we saw a few jumping salmon, then decided to do some jigging, caught a few anchovies for bait, had to be back at marina by 6 before they close.... no found traps today

HITW is inundated with schools of 3-4" anchovies right now. we saw a few jumping salmon, then decided to do some jigging, caught a few anchovies for bait, had to be back at marina by 6 before they close.... no found traps today

Hit our biggest fish this past weekend while floating the line up to check gear probably @ 40' amongst all the chovys swimming around

If anyone is out there or planning to be this aft a wind update would be appreciated. Thinking of heading across to Nanaimo with the family this aft and hoping to drop a couple of rods.

If anyone is out there or planning to be this aft a wind update would be appreciated. Thinking of heading across to Nanaimo with the family this aft and hoping to drop a couple of rods.

Will likely be out this afternoon....aborted running across this morning.

Halibut Bank is blowing W @16-19....Nanaimo is NNW@21.

Windyty.com is saying winds may diminish a bit this afternoon but who knows.

Conditions right now are poor, winds are forecast to intensify this evening, you're looking at a very uncomfortable or dangerous crossing depending on the size of your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back