O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

well we tried today in the fog and mist but mister fishy was not playing
even stacked to try up the odd's even pulling 4 rods did not produce one hit hootchies & flashers on the bottom and spoons on top 20' ran straight

fished the midday tide and headed back in an hour or so after
that was all at grace with only one other local boat there marked a small amount of bait but most was close or hard on the bottom

till next time

Went out yesterday fished the midday tide as well at Tunsil bay. Fished there for 3 hours then trolled along the south side of Bowen with out a salmon hit all day. Was using spoons and hootchies. Caught and released a little ling in Tunsil but that was it while fishing in the fog.

So 2 days at the cap and....no fish but still learning, had a couple hits but nothing too exciting. Still waiting for that first fish to board the new boat!! Crab and prawn hauls were good, made for a couple of nice meals. Curious question, this Bayliner everyone talks about. Does it have a black cover over the back of the boat? Seen one this morning that was acting real weird around the traps. Had 2 traps come up empty, they were practically sitting on top of one of my traps too when I came up. Couldn't see the name on the stern but could tell it was 2 words... Anyways, pm me please if you don't want to post on the thread. Thanks!

That one was around on Saturday.....also acting weird. Had a number of people on it. Mentioned it to my buddies as it was strange, buzzed us within 50-60 feet while we were trolling.

That one was around on Saturday.....also acting weird. Had a number of people on it. Mentioned it to my buddies as it was strange, buzzed us within 50-60 feet while we were trolling.

Yes, the pattern of behaviour is always the same regardless of what day.

Agreed, however we shouldn't jump to conclusions... Would be good to keep an eye out

Who said anything about jumping to conclusions Waddy? Anyways...

But I will tell you, that where there is smoke, there is often fire. We have firefighters and police who save lives based in that premise.

At any rate, there is a common denominating factor. This boat is usually on the water in the area of missing equipment/empty traps. I personally have seen them in these areas. Other guide boats see this boat on the water often in these areas.

They are never seen handling gear of their own, yet they are usually in the vicinity of other traps and gear and cruise areas of high trap density---particularly crab traps. Also, I can tell you that the passengers are of Asian decent (Chinese I believe) and not experienced boaters as they are seldom seen on deck and usually huddled in the cabin. Sometimes they are on the water in an area they should not be and would have no reason to go to or take that course.

They have been spotted in the area of West Van, the Cap mouth, Passage Island, Bowen Island, lower Howe Sound, and Rockfish Conservation areas. Being on the water as much as I have the past few years, I have personally experienced this behaviour and seen them in these areas. As have other guides.

The boat usually has more than 6 passengers. Sometimes there are children on board. It appears they are on charter. If you are on your traps, they seem to come by for a closer look to see what you are doing...for a good reason. They are planning something.

I usually don't put my gear close to everyone else and I know for sure that there was no other gear placed there after I put mine out there.

I have already reported this vessel and it's suspicious activities to DFO.

I will take some pictures next time and post.

The last time this particular discussion came up about this particular boat someone did post a pic on here the mods edited the post and said the post was inappropriate.

The boat is a Bayliner 2858 in the early-mid 2000's. It has black/blue Canvas and the hull is BLUE and WHITE. The boat is well cared for cosmetically and I would hazard a guess that they don't polish it themselves to look like that as it would require a haul out. The name of the boat has already been posted. You'll know it when you see it on the water.

Anyways, there is nothing racist, inappropriate, or defamatory about my post and it does not violate any of the forum rules that I can see.

I would recommend that if you see this boat in around your gear or another person's gear that you Observe, Record, And Report to DFO.

I have been able to see onto their back deck on more than one occasion and they don't appear to have a trap hauler or traps on board...yet somehow they are always close to traps...and seen close to traps....odd...

if they are unable to help you immediately, a call to the non emergency line of the Vancouver Police marine unit may just work...and they may go by and pay them a visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I,m not sure what kind of boat the Aces High is , but the other boat discribed i also see all the time and have talked with them.
Also i see him from my living room and have been watching his moves with binoculars.
the boat is about a 24 ft. older white fiberglass with large cabin and a huge big black stand up cover over the back cockpit area , right to the transom.
He drift fishes asian style for bullheads , flounder , sole or whatever else they catch. They have been doing this for last couple years. and while i was along side him asking if he saw anyone take my two traps with well marked red bouys , i was having a good look around. I did not see anything that looked like he was a poacher or trap thief.
he says he had 2 traps set and he showed me his bull head catch in the cooler which was quite substantial. but stuff i dont eat. When its cold they are zippered up inside with a few rod tips sticking out and they dont dip net they just reel em inside and into the cooler. they like the drift from pink apartment to lighthouse but most this winter have been off Pepe's . I have been watching them alot and have seen them drift past crab trap bouys and never touch them. I have a huge view and see everything !!
This being said , i have also seen (while out on my boat) a couple native skiffs setting crab traps and every trap was different , a blue one , a black one , a nice stainless one , a couple big commercial ones , and when they got to the end of their longline the tossed out the last big commercial one and no bouys.... they set them with gps plotter and grapple them up. they have gear set from royalvan right out to red can bouy , they unload in **** house bay boat launch under the bridge. I cant see them from my side of the bay and only when i,m actually on the water.

another boat that i have caught red handed was up indian arm,, somebody please post up that pic (as posted previously)of them on the rocks as my search has come up empty.. i think it is the one capt hook is on about.

another boat that i have caught red handed was up indian arm,, somebody please post up that pic (as posted previously)of them on the rocks as my search has come up empty.. i think it is the one capt hook is on about.

The boat you are referring to is "TONGA".

We busted these clowns with boat hook in hand going for our prawn float off passage Island.

I posted some photos and some members zoomed in on the suspects. good for a laugh on the forum. not so much on the water. wish something could be done as it sounds like a handful of rotten apples stealing traps and catch

The boat you are referring to is "TONGA".

We busted these clowns with boat hook in hand going for our prawn float off passage Island.

I posted some photos and some members zoomed in on the suspects. good for a laugh on the forum. not so much on the water. wish something could be done as it sounds like a handful of rotten apples stealing traps and catch

Yup. I know the boat.

Yes, and they also run up the North Arm.

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to known poacher boats. So we got aces high and tonga on the list.

A local prawn/crab thief has recently been delt with (sugar in the gas tank). Ive personally had couple round stainless crab traps stolen but lucky enough to not have any prawn traps ganked. After MANY reports, pics and complaints of stolen traps the rcmp did nothing about it. Not surprised but the last boat that was doing the same had holes drilled in his hull. Its still tied up to the dock but underwater.

I would love to see a pic of that boat underwAter. That's awesome.

Got a just legal keeper out front of gibsons around 430 today 99 on the line in 150 deep , just as I was putting it in the box the other rod took off, it pulled about 60 ft of line off my rod lots of fight in her then lost about 20 ft from the boat green speckel back hootchie and a green and white spoon. second one was at 125 on the wire.

Got a just legal keeper out front of gibsons around 430 today 99 on the line in 150 deep , just as I was putting it in the box the other rod took off, it pulled about 60 ft of line off my rod lots of fight in her then lost about 20 ft from the boat green speckel back hootchie and a green and white spoon. second one was at 125 on the wire.

Thanks for that!

Tonga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9QTBKkZz4&feature=related

Aces High:

Aces High is a older Bayliner - 24' ish .... White glass with dark brown ( as I recall) high back canvas. They drift fish for bottom fish with up to 10+ on board. The boat has been moored at Fisherman's Cove in the past but not sure they are there anymore. I haven't been able to see anything obviously illegal but haven't spent hours watching them. One "on the water report" of them being in an RCA turned out to be an incorrect report, at least when I buzzed by them, they were legal.

Back