Norway ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see they are looking to charge more at Vancouver charging stations. Lots of electric cars around no place to charge one. I often wonder what the cost per month I compare to a gas vehicle.

Don't know, but it would be probably 2 times this depending on the fuel economy of the car and how much he drives. In the long run electric cars are cheaper as their "fuel" is very cheap compared to gas and their maintenance is much less (no combustion engine, simple drivetrain, etc.). One just needs to deal with the high initial purchase price. As more e-cars are sold, more will be used, then the cost will be even cheaper.

I see they are looking to charge more at Vancouver charging stations. Lots of electric cars around no place to charge one. I often wonder what the cost per month I compare to a gas vehicle.

When you try to compare gas to electric cars the rule of thumb is 1/3 to 1/5 the cost. Here is a link to a website that has some good information.
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/transportation/personal/7469

All modern cars are getting great fuel economy these days but on average when you compare L/100km electric is a round 2L/100 km equivalent.

On another note ..... Tesla Model 3 starts production with SN#1 this Friday and the rumor is that it will get 300+ miles per charge. Price should be around 45K Canadian.

Got a report today that the cost on the new Bolt EV was running at $1.50 per 100km in Vancouver. So that would put it at $6.00 to fill up the battery for it's 400km range. To compare my wife drives one of the most fuel efficient cars that is just a bit smaller and it runs at just under $5.00 per 100km.

Guess that's why we need the Site C dam. Gotta keep those electric cars charged up.;)
Don't think this comment follows from the preceding post above. Germany clearly has no large hydro dams on the scale of Site C. They are generating all their power through wind and solar. We in Canada should do the same. The infrastructure referred to by Seascene pertains to developments to consume all that power, not to generating it!!

Don't think this comment follows from the preceding post above. Germany clearly has no large hydro dams on the scale of Site C. They are generating all their power through wind and solar. We in Canada should do the same. The infrastructure referred to by Seascene pertains to developments to consume all that power, not to generating it!!

Lol. "All their power from wind and solar"??

Wind is approx 12%
Solar is approx 6%

About 40% coal and 15% nat gas

When will you guys learn?

IMG_5211.PNG

Canada has around 60% coming from Hydro electric and 10% coal. Why are you bashing Canada like they are some kind of big polluter?

Last edited:
I stand corrected. However, almost 20% from wind and solar is still impressive in a heavily industrialised country like Germany. Canada could do the same or better with the political will.

Yep, fair call. You gotta ask just how much tax payer money goes to such a small benefit and who is in bed with Gov to get those contracts.

Also ask yourself why your so quick to talk down your own country.

Last edited:
Here is a link to what the Germans are doing in their energy transformation. To answer Seanuts question on who benefits..... The citizens because they are the ones that are creating that new energy at home and in small cooperatives on a local bases. They are decentralizing their grid and the benefits are enormous to locals, not so much to the big corporations who are trying the best to hold onto their place where they are faced by the rise of the new clean energy economy.

https://book.energytransition.org/

Guess that's why we need the Site C dam. Gotta keep those electric cars charged up.;)
That's not the purpose for Site C, according to BC Hydro it's for industry. They want to sell it for 4 cents a kWh and produce it for 9 cents a kWh. The difference will show up on you hydro bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back